Just cancelled Xfinity cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanon

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Cancelled cable except for the internet. What are some apps that give the most channels while still remaining inexpensive?

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, ShippoFox, Kyma and 1 other person
About to do the same to AT@T

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Quanon
I just have internet, I use Roku to get the few channels I actually want to watch.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, chamberpot, Chosen and 1 other person
We have Netflix. Amazon. Hulu. Peacock. Antenna for locals.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Other than sports I watch almost all my shows online. There are some good sites that you can watch most shows and movies.

These are the apps that I use in addition to my 48 plus broadcast TV channels: Peacock, Tubi, Vudu, TV App, Plex, Pluto TV, Popcornflix, Crackle. I haven’t streamed a couple of them for a while so I’m not sure that they’re all still active.

EpicOne1997 said:
Cancelled cable except for the internet. What are some apps that give the most channels while still remaining inexpensive?
I just use Pluto and the Samsung TV app. I have heard great things about Sling, though.

Reactions: Quanon and BobbiSueEllen
I gave Comcast the boot but for internet near ten years back and have saved ten thousand or more dollars with no regrets. I do no Hulu, Netflix or other streaming service pay or free.and do not miss commercial TV. I collect DVDs, tag sales and Goodwill are my primary sources but ebay, FYE or a store if I really want something bad. The public library in town has a better collection than any Blockbuster ever did and all for free too.

Reactions: Quanon and Zeke
Nam Repaid said:
I gave Comcast the boot but for internet near ten years back and have saved ten thousand or more dollars with no regrets. I do no Hulu, Netflix or other streaming service pay or free.and do not miss commercial TV. I collect DVDs, tag sales and Goodwill are my primary sources but ebay, FYE or a store if I really want something bad. The public library in town has a better collection than any Blockbuster ever did and all for free too.
That awesome. I wish I had done that even 5yrs ago. My "Basic Cable" plus internet was $212. mo. We only watched a few channels like most people. My bill is supposed to now be about 85$. We shall see. I collect the media also.

Reactions: KrankyPants and BobbiSueEllen
I don't have anything really. I find the modern televisions have loads of channels and I don't need more.. I sometimes buy second hand DVDs because I like classic movies like westerns and samurai.. but out side of that I simply use BBC iPlayer (which is amazing and free) and various YouTube stuff where I can watch old Chinese martial arts movie's which I love because of the obvious happiness and athletism of the actors and because it's always a bit funny! ☺️
I don't need any more than all that..

• Love
Kittyinpink said:
watch old Chinese martial arts movie's which I love because of the obvious happiness and athletism of the actors and because it's always a bit funny! ☺️
Used to tune into Sunday morning "Kung Fu Theater" on a local channel back in the 80s. Was awesome. Loved those old English dubbed movies. We would go outside and woop on each other with all the moves we just learned. Haha.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperedsparky, BobbiSueEllen and Kittyinpink
EpicOne1997 said:
Used to tune into Sunday morning "Kung Fu Theater" on a local channel back in the 80s. Was awesome. Loved those old English dubbed movies. We would go outside and woop on each other with all the moves we just learned. Haha.
Yes ! Great fun!

Something interesting is I was on a tech support call with my ISP/Cable/VOIP service provider (Spectrum) and they informed me there is an app for smart televisions. Since I kept my cable but returned one of the HD receivers, I installed the app, and boy: it is well designed and I can watch all the channels I pay for on my Samsung TV! It is one of the best Tizen OS apps I have installed.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Quanon and Kittyinpink
Id suggest getting a vpn. Mine costs me 5 bucks a month. Then you can sail the seas without worry about the empire sinking you. If you need some advice on details you know how to get ahold of me.

When they finally put gigabit fiber internet into our neighborhood, I cancelled the dish (we never had the option of cable). I get the basic YouTubeTV subscription but the rest we just pick up off PrimeVideo or the like.

I’ve never done the cost analysis but subscribing to MLB/NHL/NFL streaming may be the way to get ones sports fix while dumping cable.
I’m inspired to check this out now. I don’t think there’s anything I watch on network TV outside of sports. I quit the news months ago and I don’t miss the constant fear/rage mongering I was being sold.

• Love
Every once in a while I try reevaluate pricing with my mom and what she wants as far as T.V. goes. We couldn't get fiber here by at and t and she doesn't like comcast pricing for t.v with everything she wants so its cheaper for us just to split "package"

God I hate the monopolies with t.v. / internet here and this is one of those moments situations like this can cross to being a political issue on why our situation is like this.

To answer your question i am not sure, my mom did attempt exploring no t.v. service for reasons that fit you im sure. We tried a bunch of different things, even Amazon's thing with prime (the issue there is with most things we wanted to watch costed extra) so we tried every free trial there was for streaming services and at the end of the day what she wanted added up to more then the normal cos of cable so we stopped trying and canceled everything.

there are free trials for hulu, netflix, even prime depending on luck, it lets you dive in a bit and get to see what they charge extra on and see if something fits you.

I have procrastinated for a couple of years. Mostly because I like Foxnews. But yeah. PLUTO. Peacock. TUBI. All free. Sony movies and TV shows between these 3. We pay for Netflix. Amazon. Hulu. Those are like 13$ each. I dont watch MSM.. we feel liberated tbh.

• Love
Antenna and Netflix here. This baby girl cut her own cord long ago, best move ever. Kinda upset Netflix kayoed Star Trek: TOS, though... 😢🖖

• Wow
Reactions: Quanon
No cable just internet with roku stick with Hulu, discovery plus, MotorTrend and three other apps on roku that are free these three apps cost around $25 along with the 85 I spend on 800mbps of Wi-Fi

Reactions: Quanon and BobbiSueEllen
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back