Just Broke My iPod!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Ahh, I'm so pissed. I've had it for about 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY. I dropped it (it was in a case) and the now you cant see anything on the screen. it's just a blur of blue and red.

:( anyone have any ideas???

Icey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, Little, Carer
Is it still under warrenty? If so you may be able to get it fixed!! I would contact Apple & se what they suggest!!

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
hold the middle and menu button until it reboots.

Mysterious

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Yeah, as Icey said, contact Apple and see what they can do, otherwise I wouldn't know what to say.

Princess_Mandy

Est. Contributor
Try what dipered4lyfe said if resetting doesn't help then go to the apple website and check out there message board and see if you can find anything on it there that's how I fixed mine. Other than that I'm not really sure.

Role
Diaper Lover
Wait holding menu reboots? I don't know if this applies to my old Nano, but when I selected a song I had just put on there, only this year, it would freeze, and Mac Fanboys say they don't crash.

S

stanfordhawks

it sounds like the layers of glass were jammed too close together on impact.

apple will not do shit for you if you call because you probably do not have applecare.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

here is the link for the genius bar at an apple store. this is the only way to get hands on help. you have to make an appointment and they will spend as much time as you need with you.

if you have any questions feel free to contact me on aim or my e-mail. they are on my profile.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
ya know that happened to me for a while actually i couldnt scroll down the screen it would spazz out the only thing that was out if norm to me i was out of town for a month so i had an adapter to charge i with the wall. then one day i tried it and it stopped *shrugs* good luck with that

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Physically dropped and it's well over the included 1 year warranty? Yeah, sorry, what stanfordhawks said...Apple isn't going to do anything. If you're feeling ambitious, you could ebay for the same ipod with a different problem and swap screens. I did that with my old nano and it fixed it...

I have an old 40gb ipod that was given to me because it has hard drive problems. Sometimes when you turn it on you'll hear a *click-click-click-click* until you hit it on the side, and the hard drive will unstick and start working :D Amazingly it this solution has worked for the past 2 years...

Woollyneck

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Other
Wait holding menu reboots? I don't know if this applies to my old Nano, but when I selected a song I had just put on there, only this year, it would freeze, and Mac Fanboys say they don't crash.
You have to hold down both the center and Menu buttons for about ten seconds. Just holding Menu takes you back to the main menu.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
The same thing happened to my Microsoft Zune. I smashed it into the side of my grandma's car and ended up with a one inch long pressure crack in the screen. Mine was out of warrenty and Best Buy wouldn't do sh*t either. I ended up having to spend $250 to buy a new 80 GB because they didn't have anymore 30 GB in stock. I'm sorry to say this, but if it is out of warrenty, you're pretty much screwed. This is what all of those companies hope for. Your item is out of warrenty, so you have to buy another one.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
The same thing happened to my Microsoft Zune. I smashed it into the side of my grandma's car and ended up with a one inch long pressure crack in the screen. Mine was out of warrenty and Best Buy wouldn't do sh*t either. I ended up having to spend $250 to buy a new 80 GB because they didn't have anymore 30 GB in stock. I'm sorry to say this, but if it is out of warrenty, you're pretty much screwed. This is what all of those companies hope for. Your item is out of warrenty, so you have to buy another one.
Even if it's within the warranty period, you gotta be careful. Most warranties will only cover latent problems caused by defects from the factory... not by accidental physical damage.

Best solution, if you can, lie and say it just...happened :dunno:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
hold the middle and menu button until it reboots.
you switch the hold switch back and forth then hold the menu and center button till it reboots. Also Ipods crash all the time, I had to help my classmates and even teachers "fix" (reset) their Ipods for them. Mac Fanboys say Mac's don't crash, but that's a lie itself. The editor of Nintendo World Reports podcast used a mac and it crashed on him. He said "Yes the saying Macs do crash is sadly true." Or something like that.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
If you don't see a spider web pattern then the screen didn't rupture. Open the iPod and check the connections.

Watch this video to find out more. (You may want to mute the speakers.)

EDIT: I should mention that there isn't really any other way to damage an LCD other than striking it directly, from what you've said, it just seems like the connector from the motherboard has come loose.

Last edited:

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
If you don't see a spider web pattern then the screen didn't rupture. Open the iPod and check the connections.

Watch this video to find out more. (You may want to mute the speakers.)

EDIT: I should mention that there isn't really any other way to damage an LCD other than striking it directly, from what you've said, it just seems like the connector from the motherboard has come loose.

It still could be the screen... the problem I was that that the ribbon cable had partially ripped off the back of the screen. The LCD panel was fine, but the connection was shot (and unrepairable with a soldering iron...)

But you have a good suggestion, the cable *can* come loose from the connection on the mainboard... that would be awesome if it was the problem.

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
If worse comes to worse, buy a Zune. n__n

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
$30-$50 cheaper per gig of memory, and has all the same features. The video is better on the iPod, but a Zune has audio recording and an AM/FM radio.

But price was the major thing for me. All the accessories are WAY cheaper, also. = )

Status
Not open for further replies.