• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Jeep's new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeep

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I ordered parts for my first computer build! I'm so excited. Here's what i got:

Q9400
Sapphire 4850 512MB
500 GB Seagate Barracuda
Vista Home Premium 64
Office Enterprise (For 20 bucks through HUP (Look it up)
2X2 G Skill DDR2 [email protected] 5-5-5-15
LG DVD Burner
Antec 300 W/ 3 extra Blue LED 120 MM fans
750 watt PC Power & Cooling Cross Fire Edition PSU
ASUS P5Q
Arctic Silver 5

Big upgrade from my current laptop!

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
Looks sweet, although I have no clue how high the Sapphire 4850 ranks, half a gigabyte of vram is normal these days

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
The 48xx is the high-end market for ATI, the 9850 being something that compete's with a 9800GTX+.

Loving the rig bro, nice buy!

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Not bad. Though the 4850, you should go for one with more VRAM. And Radeons don't play well with Intel Processors... I'd suggest getting an AMD with the Radeon.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
More then 512 MB of video ram is only useful if you play a high resolutions.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Not bad. Though the 4850, you should go for one with more VRAM. And Radeons don't play well with Intel Processors... I'd suggest getting an AMD with the Radeon.
O_O You must be smoking. A 4870 X2 would scream with a Q9500.

More then 512 MB of video ram is only useful if you play a high resolutions.
That's debatable. My GTS 250 with 1GB of GDDR3 will load maps, textures, etc on things like CoD4, CoD5, etc faster than the same GPU with only 512MB of VRAM, and will be able to keep them loaded in RAM more often thanks to the headroom. I played on 1024x768 for a while to prove my theory, although now I play at 1600x1200.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
a antec 300 seems like a pretty small case though..

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
In all honestly, I would of gotten 8gb of RAM instead of 4gb. RAM is super cheap nowadays. Also, why 32bit Vista? You've got 4gb of RAM and a video card, 32bit OSes can ONLY support a TOTAL of 4gb of memory. So, you'll get more like 3.8gb of RAM with that. Also, why Home Premium? Vista Ultimate x64bit is only $180 from Newegg if you buy the OEM version.

@Fire2box: I've got an Antec 300 case and yes it's small, but if you know how to cable manage you can get some good airflow going on. I've got 2 120mm fans up front where the hard drive rack is as intake fans, the side when it was on was intake and it was right over my gfx card which helped keep it cooled. The top fan was intake, it's a huge 200mm fan over the CPU. The two back fans are exhaust. My temps in there with an almost 1ghz OC (3ghz to 3.8ghz) are around 37C idle and 48C under load.

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
In all honestly, I would of gotten 8gb of RAM instead of 4gb. RAM is super cheap nowadays. Also, why 32bit Vista? You've got 4gb of RAM and a video card, 32bit OSes can ONLY support a TOTAL of 4gb of memory. So, you'll get more like 3.8gb of RAM with that. Also, why Home Premium? Vista Ultimate x64bit is only $180 from Newegg if you buy the OEM version.

@Fire2box: I've got an Antec 300 case and yes it's small, but if you know how to cable manage you can get some good airflow going on. I've got 2 120mm fans up front where the hard drive rack is as intake fans, the side when it was on was intake and it was right over my gfx card which helped keep it cooled. The top fan was intake, it's a huge 200mm fan over the CPU. The two back fans are exhaust. My temps in there with an almost 1ghz OC (3ghz to 3.8ghz) are around 37C idle and 48C under load.
lulwut you overclocked your cpu 800mHz..? That's 27% overclocking you know. This is a shit-ass computer, the power supply is too weak for the gpu and cpu to be OC'd simultaneously, so I can only push mine up about 20% if I intend to use it for something intense like a regular game. Your attempt sounds much more epic, though!

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yea, I'm still using the stock heatsink, need to upgrade that but no cash rigth now. Once I get a better heatsink, TRUE FTW, or put an watercool system in it I'll get a much higher OC on it.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
750 watt PC Power & Cooling Cross Fire Edition PSU
That is quite definitely a bit overkill for what you currently have for components
unless you're planning to put in watercooling in your case.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
after reading the thread title..I thought you meant "Jeep" (the company) was creating a computer. oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.