Japanese Learning Blog Week 5 - Learning Through the Power of Cuteness

HappyPixels

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Greetings, lovely littles and diapered delinquents. Hope you're all having an awesome day.

Here's a not so hot take: studying can be boring. Really boring. You gotta spice it up a little and what better way to do that than by reading manga? Good way to learn new vocab and reinforce some of the grammar you already know. Only problem is that all the good for beginners manga folks recommend to me have still been too hard for someone as much of a beginner as I am. That is until I discovered Chi's Sweet Home.

At its core, CSH is a pretty simple manga. Family of three adopt a kitten, name her Chi, and adorable hijinks ensue. There really isn't that much to it, to be honest, and that's why its so great. It's an easy to follow slice of life with no long winded monologues full of big words that make my brain hurt. No, just a kitten, fucking her owners' shit up because she hasn't figured out their expensive couch isn't a scratching post. Never once did I feel lost or confused as to what was going on, even if I didn't know most of what was being said because the visual story telling was just so spot on. I actually got to read and enjoy a manga without wanting to rip my hair out of frustration! My only real complaint is that I did struggle with understanding Chi at times because she speaks in a strange cutsey/childish(?) way that I at times had trouble looking up when I didn't understand her. But even then, her expressions are always so over the top that you have no trouble understanding what she's feeling or just what the sneaky little shit's up to. Can I also add this series has furigana? Yay :3

It was nice to spend the cold day with a mug of hot soup, wrapped in my favourite dino blankey, with a funny and sweet story about a kitten in my lap. There are twelve volumes in all and even though I've only read the first I'm definitely excited to read the rest. And, yes, there is an anime adaption but I haven't gotten to that yet.

cheese_sweet_home_01_001.jpg

Reactions: LaLoneDigi, TwoOfBraves and RetroGirl15

LaLoneDigi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
  5. Carer
Keep going! I love these posts.

• Love
Reactions: HappyPixels

HappyPixels

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Aw, thanks. I have a lot of fun making them.