J&J ending production of talc based powders North America

I don't know how their cornstartch based powder smells, but the talc based smells amazing, im gonna miss it.

Reactions: Foxroxsox and CookieMonstah
Wow, this is huge. I hope it doesn't happen in Europe. Stocked up on J&J baby powder only recently and, checking the ingredients now, it's still talc based.

Has been for 120 years apparently.

So was there any conclusive evidence that it's bad for you? Seems strange that they'd still allow it in Europe if it is - with all it's strict health guidelines on products etc...

SO, SO, sad. I tried to buy some recently in Wal-Mart and couldn't find any. Any AB/DL diaper manufactures want to venture into making what will now be, apparently, "vintage" baby powder? Never tried the cornstarch junk either, doubt it is as good or have the same smell.

We switched to the yellow bottle medicated cornstarch long ago.

What is this country coming to? Certain people react differently to certain ingredients, the frivolous lawsuits in this country are gonna bring down this country, I propose that they stop making crystal light and other diet soft drinks because of a certain ingredient that can cause cancer(sarcasm).

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
Talc based powders imo are safe, it was lawyers who wrecked it by arguing with misinformation, personally I love J&J orginial baby powder and now hunting for cases of it to hoard.
I've used the cornstarch powders before, they do the same job, but they seem to run a little thicker in texture then talc and the scent just isn't right, I'm stubborn to so there's the other issue.

My ex-wife passed away just before Halloween a year and a half ago with ovarian cancer. She was an avid user of baby powder in her underwear for “freshness” ever since I met her in her late teens. This gave me some problems later as I soon associated the smell of baby powder with sex. This could be very embarrassing when I found myself around babies. After we had a couple of munchkins of our own this was soon driven from my psyche. From what I understand about this issue with J & J is that they were ignoring test samples that indicated measurable levels of asbestos in their talc (primarily from India I believe). Despite what’s happened to Penny I’m not convinced that the level of contamination was significant enough to be a problem (if it were I should be concerned with tongue, mouth, and/or magic wand cancer😳). My ex-wife didn’t bother getting health insurance though she was working where it was available for a copay. She had a love/hate relationship with doctors where if they didn’t tell her what she wanted to hear they didn’t know anything which contributed to her death. Just before we were married in 1980 was the only time that I know of that she had a PAP smear in spite of having that drilled into teenage girls heads by high school health personnel for years. She went to a GP late Spring 2018 after having problems with vaginal bleeding for nearly a year. The GP told her she needed to see a OB-GYN/oncologist immediately but she put that off. A couple of months later she was sent to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN from a local emergency room after passing out from blood loss. They tried several things but the growth was too involved with the aorta for them to operate and she wanted to go home. About a week later she was back at Mayo, again suffering from extreme blood loss, and when she was discharged this time it was understood that there was nothing that they could do for her. She spent her last few weeks staying with our daughter. The legal jackals were just beginning to circle J & J but Penny didn’t want any part of that cluster•••• for which I respect her decision. She was a great mom and grandmother and we all miss her. Sorry that I got so long winded.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: mommysgirlthing, BobbiSueEllen, hoimi and 6 others
@Zeke that was not long winded at all, it was the truth in the matter plus very respectable.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and babybobby
LittlePrince said:
Seems strange that they'd still allow it in Europe if it is - with all it's strict health guidelines on products etc...
My understanding is that it's not a government thing but a corporate decision. Basically they got sued about talcum powder and decided to take their ball and go home.

Can't blame 'em. When lawyers smell blood, they go into a frenzy. They'll even eat their own. I wonder what the average lawyer's cut is anymore, anyway? I'm sure it's high, so there's their motivation. Greed.

I neither like nor trust attorneys. Sometimes I swear most of the time they slaughter just because they can...for show and for fun.

I bought the cornstarch version from America a few years ago, it's quite nice to be honest but their talc is definitely a nicer scent.

Q. What's black & brown and looks good on an attorney?

A. A Doberman. :LOL:

Twee said:
What is this country coming to? Certain people react differently to certain ingredients, the frivolous lawsuits in this country are gonna bring down this country, I propose that they stop making crystal light and other diet soft drinks because of a certain ingredient that can cause cancer(sarcasm).
That would actually make more sense, given there's more evidence for it to pose a risk to everyone. I also respect the story told from Zeke's perspective.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
Can't blame 'em. When lawyers smell blood, they go into a frenzy. They'll even eat their own. I wonder what the average lawyer's cut is anymore, anyway? I'm sure it's high, so there's their motivation. Greed.

I neither like nor trust attorneys. Sometimes I swear most of the time they slaughter just because they can...for show and for fun.
My dad shared your attitude about lawyers. He was sales manager for an agricultural equipment manufacturer. One night we were barbecuing on the patio after dad came home from a particularly bad day dealing with lawyers at work. I’m not sure if it was his martini talking or just the frustration of dealing with some of those in the legal profession but he said “we should hang all the crooked lawyers....the other two we could put up with”. I thought he was kidding but four decades latter, after having dealt with these weasels, I see the wisdom of his statement. Much of my TV comes from broadcast networks. Despite receiving over thirty channels I don’t think there’s a time when there’s not at least one lawyer ad begging for clients in their lawsuit. It’s far past time for tort reform in this Country to reduce the detrimental effects on a Nation that has more than ten times the number of lawyers per capita than any other first world country. Not to mention the pervasive affects having these scavengers of humanity in charge has on our government. Stay padded....you never know when you might be part of a class action lawsuit! I’ll put my soapbox away now🤐.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Gads...I watch TV via antenna and, as you said, most of the lawsuits are ambulance-chasers who smell that green blood. Talcum/baby powder, mesothelioma, Round-Up, meds, anything. The ones I hold in marginally-higher esteem are going after child molesters in churches or other groups...the reason I say "marginally" is because I despise child molesters, I despise groups which shelter them & incriminate/shame the victim, yet the lawyers still see a proportionately excessive cut. You'd think they were the victims, looking at their take. Sheesh.

Regardless, I hope Old Time Religion gets rightly humbled.

BobbiSueEllen said:
Q. What's black & brown and looks good on an attorney?

A. A Doberman. :LOL:

Q. How are lawyers like bakers?

A. They both enjoy carving up the pie.

Wow im glad i came here today and saw this. I just ordered what I could, and im going to start looking in stores. This stuff is my absolute favorite and i dont want to imagine diapers without it.

I was actually brought up on the cornstarch version so I have zero problems with the way it smells or feels.

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between them all that much anyhow.

Then again, I'm not doing lines of baby powder off of someone's padded butt either. LOL

J&J have a cornstarch powder in Lavender and Chamomile and I can't get enough of it. It's not what I used when I was a baby, but it's lovely and I've come to like it even more than the 'original'. :3

I'd be really sad if I can't get a product that at least smells the same here in the UK in future. If we are going to be living in a corn starch only world, I hope that the manufacturers do everything possible to retain the smell of traditional Baby Powder.

Reactions: PGAFAN2008
Back