Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
http://www.adisc.org/forum/fun-games/5045-irc-quotes.html

In the old days it was strictly against the rules to quote any chat; I heard bad things happened as a result. I think that rule made sense. I think that if some quoting is allowed, even with strict limitations the idea of quoting chat will become popular, and be uncontrolled - and sooner or later somebody will get hurt. I like to think that when I have a private convo, not only can I trust the other chatter to be discrete but I can trust the no quoting rule to govern the situation. As a support site, being confident of having privacy respected is key to feeling one can talk about sensitive stuff and to reach out for support.

I suggest we bring in this rule again; especially with the influx (according to many) of iffy people and the increasingly difficult task for mods of knowing what is going on in real time, simply due to the size of the site and the amount of interpersonal traffic it generates.

If there are indeed irresponsible members, or downright harmful people here, intent on deliberate misdeeds, it will be hard to monitor any chat they quote if there is a sea of chatquotes. If all chatquoting is eliminated any that does occur will be easily spotted and any wrongdoers will also be spotted quickly.

Stuff FROM chat may sometimes be repeated; but I am leery about stuff IN chat. Better safe than sorry...

I know quoting chat has been going on a long time now, and is an accepted thing, even done by senior members; and the idea is that the usual rules about content should be enough to govern any content, and on that basis we might suppose no special rules should apply to chat. But there really are things said in chat, say, about specific members, that should not be repeated, even when said in a publicly viewable space.

It is easy to assume sometimes that when a thing is discussed and bandied about without discretion, it is open to be freely repeated... like the existence and location of semi-private invitation-only spaces...

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Personally I try to keep the two separate. You can discuss a thread in the chat... but you shouldn't really discuss a chat in the threads.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I was always of the assumption that anything said in the main chatroom was quotable and anything said in a smaller private conversation should be kept... well... private.

Is this not the case?

Sila

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Other
I dont see the current problem at hand. What's wrong with quoting chat logs? That thread in particular is just for funny moments in IRC- again nothing wrong with that far as I can see? It's not like we're going to intentionally quote something harmful- and if someone does, that's what the 'report post' button is for.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
As to the IRC quotes thread, it is a good idea to ask someone before sticking their quote in the thread, and if someone asks that their quote be removed from the thread, the poster should oblige... but I don't see any reason to remove the quotes already posted.

As to quoting other things... you should ask for the permission of the people you are quoting, before you quote them, regardless of whether they are in PM or in the open chat. The only exception to this is sending logs to the moderators so they can enforce the site rules - you can (and should) do that without asking for the permission of the person you're reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.