Status
Not open for further replies.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi peeps,

So today it's mighty hot where I live (for me) and I had to move 5m3 of soil by bucket from where it was dumped to our new garden beds.

Wound up with extra soil and had to move the extra cubic meter to be able to close the gate.

I did keep applying sun screen, had a hat on and drank I thought lots of water.

When I was finally close to finishing I kinda realised I was drooling and then just fell over. I got it together eventually and got to the shade, a longtime late I did get my gumboots off and got inside.

Apparently earlier I had come inside to get water, had an argument but that is really hazy.

Had a pounding headache but that is mainly gone.

So heatstroke?

M

Marka

Hi peeps,

So today it's mighty hot where I live (for me) and I had to move 5m3 of soil by bucket from where it was dumped to our new garden beds.

Wound up with extra soil and had to move the extra cubic meter to be able to close the gate.

I did keep applying sun screen, had a hat on and drank I thought lots of water.

When I was finally close to finishing I kinda realised I was drooling and then just fell over. I got it together eventually and got to the shade, a longtime late I did get my gumboots off and got inside.

Apparently earlier I had come inside to get water, had an argument but that is really hazy.

Had a pounding headache but that is mainly gone.

So heatstroke?

When in doubt - check it out!

Call a doctor, nurse-helpline or, your emergency services - or, get someone to take you for medical evaluation...

Your fire emergency medical may come out to check you over... for little to no cost...

Take action now - Thank you!
-Marka

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-w...ormation/heat-stress-and-heat-related-illness

What is heat stress or heat stroke?

Heat stress occurs when your body is unable to cool itself enough to maintain a healthy temperature. Normally, the body cools itself by sweating, but sometimes sweating isn't enough and the body temperature keeps rising.
Over-exertion in hot weather, too long in the sun or bushfire exposure, and exercising or working in hot, poorly ventilated or confined areas can increase your risk of heat stress. Heat can also make an existing medical condition worse, for example heart disease.
Severe cases of heat stress can lead to heat stroke, which is a life-threatening medical emergency.
Generally, symptoms of heat stress include nausea, headaches and cramps, and a body temperature between 37 and 39°C.
Heat stroke is a more serious condition caused by a failure in your body's natural temperature regulation. Heat stroke has similar symptoms to heat stress but is more severe and the person may seem confused or aggressive, have a fit or lose consciousness. There may also be rapid pulse, headache, dizziness and dry, red skin. Body temperature will be over 40°C.
Heat stroke can cause the blood to thicken and organs to be damaged, which can rapidly lead to organ failure and death. It is a medical emergency.

Dial "000"
ADISC, is not a professional referral and advice service...

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Sure sounds like you overdid it a bit mate. Today was about the first really hot one we've had for a while...quite a bit hotter tomorrow. I was outside working too, and I certainly noticed the dehydration factor. I do hope you're feeling better though. :hugs:

M

Maxx

Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, the difference being severity. Yes, those are the classic symptoms.

1. Under hot conditions you need to be taking on enough water. How much is enough? Your pee should be clear to slightly yellow. Dark yellow, or not peeing at all, you're dehydrated. You can also tell by weight if you have a scale handy. Athletic performance starts to decline swiftly once you've sweated out more than 1% of your weight. As a point of reference, I've had my sweat rate measured in a lab on a stationary bike. At race pace (by heartrate), still air, 85°F, it was over 2 liters per hour.

2. Even if you're taking on enough water, you can still be overcome by heat. If you start feeling lightheaded or dizzy, its time to find a shady place to sit down. Before you fall down. I've seen it plenty of times in races on hot days. People just keel over. Never did that, but I've been close, including once where I let a trophy go by because I knew I'd never finish if I went after a guy that passed me. Tried, but vision started closing in and graying out.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am all good, was pretty much fine after a couple of litres of water and a cold shower just hadn't experienced that before and wouldn't recommend it!

Thanks Marka for the PM and everything, thought I had posted I was fine by the time I jumped onto the 'net and was just looking for confirmation that's what heat or sunstroke was.

Thanks Ozbub bro, and yep another hot one.

Thanks Maxx man, sadly no athletic performance here and I guess I wasn't severe (just out of shape) since I bounced back so quick.

Skwuzzy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Heat exhaustion sounds like what you had. When you reach heatstroke, you stop sweating, turn red, and begin to have an altered level of consciousness. Heatstroke is life-threatening and requires immediate hospital care. Sounds like you caught it in time before it got too serious.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Heat exhaustion sounds like what you had. When you reach heatstroke, you stop sweating, turn red, and begin to have an altered level of consciousness. Heatstroke is life-threatening and requires immediate hospital care. Sounds like you caught it in time before it got too serious.

Thanks Skwuzzy,

I guess that's the same sort of difference to an allergy and an intolerance!

M

Maxx

Thanks Maxx man, sadly no athletic performance here and I guess I wasn't severe (just out of shape) since I bounced back so quick.

Appreciate the update. It probably didn't help that you're early in your warm season still, and not heat adapted yet. That is a very real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.