is there such thing as external graphic cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Basically... My TV is the secondary monitor for my laptop.
However, my graphics card has only a few different widescreen resolutions for an external monitor - none of which my TV will accept (it will only accept 1280x768 or something?)
So right now I have a stretched 1024x768 image on the TV ¬_¬ looks ridiculous.

Are there devices that will go into the PCM slot thing, or USB, or something that will run high (widescreen) resolutions? I've already searched google and got nout back - but then I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for >.>

help?

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
you are not going to get much luck really. I don't think USB video out adapters are that popular. So if you do find one they are most likely to be very expensive, for what they do.

I do have a Cardbus VGA out card for an old Jornada I had. Its only purpose was showing old 95 power point presentations. Not very good...

What is up with your laptop, Since when did it not have a VGA port on the back? All laptops I have had had VGA ports. Unless it was an ultraportable laptop, then most of them leave it for the port replicator.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
What is up with your laptop, Since when did it not have a VGA port on the back? All laptops I have had had VGA ports. Unless it was an ultraportable laptop, then most of them leave it for the port replicator.
lol, it does have a VGA - but for some reason it doesn't support the widescreen resolution that my TV does :sad:

I'm just tired of seeing William Shatner (legend) look even bigger every time i watch Boston Legal thru it ¬_¬

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
It could be that your TV uses the PAL signal (which is what is used throughout Europe), but your laptop is outputting an NTSC signal (which is what is used in North America and Japan) which uses different resolutions.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It could be that your TV uses the PAL signal (which is what is used throughout Europe), but your laptop is outputting an NTSC signal (which is what is used in North America and Japan)
The TV supports both PAL and NTSC... plus it's A VGA on the TV end aswell... i dunno if that makes a difference though...? lol

the laptop has a D-Video out aswell, which connects to the TV using a scart, but it looks all fuzzy and bleh (plus it only supports 576 by... something... I can't remember)

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Have you tried using software to manually set a resolution rather than being locked into what the computer think it should be able to handle? I can't remember what software i was using but i needed to go low as something like 600*480.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
plus it only supports 576 by... something... I can't remember)
Yeah, 720x576 is the standard resolution on PAL DVD's.
Hmm, well I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. It could be A LOT of things. Maybe you should look into getting an Apple TV? I've got one and they're awesome!

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
Many TV's will limit the VGA input to 1024x768; which is really inconvenient. You can try setting the TV to "RGB-STB" instead of "RGB-PC" if it has an option - LG do, for example - and then selecting manually 1366x768 as your laptop output resolution.
Powerstrip will let you set ATI/Intel video resolutions manually; nVidia have that feature built-in.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The TV will mostly just have 1270x768.
All or most TV's do that.

Or if you really really wanted to. get a projector and have that as your TV/Monitor/ God knows what else you can use it for.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Have you tried using software to manually set a resolution rather than being locked into what the computer think it should be able to handle? I can't remember what software i was using but i needed to go low as something like 600*480.
I have Powerstrip for manual resolutions, but the graphics card is having none of it =(

Yeah, 720x576 is the standard resolution on PAL DVD's.
Hmm, well I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. It could be A LOT of things. Maybe you should look into getting an Apple TV? I've got one and they're awesome!
The TV will mostly just have 1270x768.
All or most TV's do that.

Or if you really really wanted to. get a projector and have that as your TV/Monitor/ God knows what else you can use it for.
I wish I could, but I just spent a bucketload getting this tv lol
The supported resolutions for it (Tosh 37WLT68) are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1280x1024... so there's only one widescreen option, and my luck has it that it's one of the few resolutions my graphics card doesn't support.

Dammit, I hate technology.

Unless...*zomg, brainwave!* there's some sort of weird and wonderful way to change VGA to HDMI??? :smile1:

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
actually, they have dvi to hdmi converters. have you tried that yet?

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i don't have a DVI output... but maybe i could like... convert the VGA to DVI... then the DVI to HDMI? or is that just asking for something to go wrong? =(

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
i don't have a DVI output... but maybe i could like... convert the VGA to DVI... then the DVI to HDMI? or is that just asking for something to go wrong? =(
You could probably do that, but using that many converters could also cause resolution loss.
But if you're willing to pay $219 :eek:, then you might want this.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
ooooh. sweet! however... yeah $219... plus whatever it costs to get here... bit of a bitch =(
ah well... looks like i'm stuck with super-wide boston legal for now. thanks for the suggestions guys =3

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Oh man!! This is bugging me because I feel like I should know how to fix this! What are the dimensions of the video file, and what are the dimensions of your TV (in pixels)?

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh man!! This is bugging me because I feel like I should know how to fix this! What are the dimensions of the video file, and what are the dimensions of your TV (in pixels)?
you're telling me? lol
the TV is 1366x768 i think, and the videos are 624x352 - what will that do? :confused:
I know the easiest way would be to burn them to DVD, but I would still want to use an external monitor to preview my film projects and renders on.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
it will only accept 1280x768 or something?
the TV is 1366x768 i think
Hmm.....so does the picture take up the whole screen, or only some of it? Also, the only other thing I could think of is going into your system preferences and changing the output to 1280x786 or 1366x768 (which you said your computer doesn't support right?)

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Hmm.....so does the picture take up the whole screen, or only some of it? Also, the only other thing I could think of is going into your system preferences and changing the output to 1280x786 or 1366x768 (which you said your computer doesn't support right?)

The TV's native resolution is 1366x768... however since that's not a standard resolution for VGA, the only widescreen resolution it accepts is 1280x768... if that makes sense :confused: lol

As for taking up the screen, there's an option to stretch the image to fill the screen, which is what the tv is doing with 1024x768 right now (otherwise it looks like a stupid little 4:3 picture in the middle of the screen)

And finally... the computer's external VGA port supports neither of those resolutions. =(

Well, 1366 isn't divisible by 8; which means Windows probably won't display it as a possible resolution parameter. I recommend checking out this guide:
http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Guide+to+1366x768
That's the program I've been using to try and get it to work, but even it will only work with whatever the video card is capable of.
It's quite crap actually for a HD nVidia GeForce card ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.