Is Metal Music misunderstood?

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think it is; I think too many people think "Heavy Metal Music" relies on screamed vocals to the point where you cant understand what they are saying.

Truth is "Heavy Metal" isn't one singular Genre; it is an Umbrella term that applies to a lot of Sub-Genres.

I think a lot of people that say they hate Heavy Metal music probably listen to Metallica or other Metal Bands, they just dont realize it is Heavy Metal.

Not to say Metallica is my favorite (far from it) or that they are the "perfect example" of Heavy Metal; but you could say they definitely qualify; especially their older and arguably way better songs and albums.

I realize though that in The United States that Metal Music isn't the most popular (mainstream Pop and Mainstream Rap/Hip Hop probably hold that title)

Suffice to say most of the population just listens to whatever they put on the local Mainstream pop station.

I used to not mind the pop songs that are on the radio, but its gotten to where they get paid to play certain songs a certain amount of times and if I start listening to those stations I quickly get tired at the repetition, lack of variety, and simpleness to the songs.

It has basically became a formula where most of those songs are written by one of 2 people and they produce most songs to be so monotone, and repetitive and then they overexpose the masses (through the radio, TV ads, or scenes in movies) until the songs are familiar enough that they get hooked.

Also the quality just isnt in music like it used to be.

A good song is fully composed, has good instrumentals, things get balanced out and everything has it's own place (like in a rock or metal song, you can clearly hear different instruments (you can clearly hear Drums, Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Keyboard, Vocals, etc) , they dont get blended together to uniformity with the singers voice boosted and corrected with some level of Auto-tune)

With mainstream pop songs they blend everything together, theres no balance and they have to heavily rely on auto-tune and catchy beats

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My main genre of choice is metal music and I hear that "it's all screaming" all the time.

Coming from an area where the four main radio stations are half 'pop' music and Canadian radio rules seriously limit what can be played; I make a lot of use of SiriusXM, YouTube and Spotify which allows me to hear bands from everywhere and get to know branches of the metal music tree that would never get play time in my City. I've found groups that theme their band as pirates, sing songs that are based on historical wars and groups that are acapella. Until you've heard Paranoid done acapella, you haven't lived. 😂

but I agree; many people hear you say metal music and immediately their mind blanks out a d they only think "oh the music that is just someone screaming random noises"

But bottom line, to each their own. I do have times when I just want something else.

Last edited:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I listen to Sirius XM "Deep Tracks" station and especially enjoy the Jim Ladd show. He's very eclectic playing almost anything if it's good and has quality and he'll play the occasional Heavy Metal band, so yes, Heavy Metal should be taken as serious music. There's some very good music that has come out of that genre.

Azie

Poofhoof Princess!
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Honestly, its like any other genre that people dislike. You hear people say all country music is farm emo, whining about their girl, their dog, their cows, their tractor, and even their truck leaving them.
You hear people complain about rap being nothing but ganster thugs, beat woman, do drugs, hate cops, ect...

The list goes on, and all music is basically misunderstood by the people that dislike it. I prefer rock and metal myself, but dislike the purely rage screaming tracks except for certain times when I feel like destroying the world. However, some death growling can actually add to the all around feel of the track, if done tastefully. Just my two cents.

Poofybutt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I think it depends on the person :unsure:

In all honesty, I haven't come into contact with anyone who was dismissive of heavy metal, writing it off as people yelling/screaming or the devil's music 😅 Granted, I hang out with a lot of metal-heads, but I have friends who listen to just about anything and even they have a ton of respect for heavy-metal and its various sub-genres :)

I can see an uninitiated person or someone who only listens to the Billboard charts thinking that metal is just a bunch of noise, but I like to think that most people have listened to enough music, metal included, to know better ;)

MandyBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent, Other
\,,/ 😫 \,,/ Head Bangers of the world unite!

Yes it is misunderstood, but that doesn't seem to stop people [Who have never even heard a single song from them] from wearing their t-shirts, or any other Rock, Alt, ect bands, because its suddenly a "Cool" thing to do.
GRRRRR!!!!

Last edited:

pampers4U

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I like listening to heavy metal, it helps motivate me, especially at the gym. But when you can understand the lyrics you realize that people are singing like everyone else that has a song, its either heat break, love, unfair / unjust or misunderstood.
I always have octane on in the truck when driving.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think it depends on the person :unsure:

In all honesty, I haven't come into contact with anyone who was dismissive of heavy metal, writing it off as people yelling/screaming or the devil's music 😅 Granted, I hang out with a lot of metal-heads, but I have friends who listen to just about anything and even they have a ton of respect for heavy-metal and its various sub-genres :)

I can see an uninitiated person or someone who only listens to the Billboard charts thinking that metal is just a bunch of noise, but I like to think that most people have listened to enough music, metal included, to know better ;)
I would imagine it probably varies based on country also; while there is a lot of American Hard Rock and Heavy Metal; I feel like it is a much bigger thing culturally in certain areas, like for example much of Europe

I have seen the areas that Hard Rock and Heavy Metal bands perform at in Europe, and some of them are truly Massive such as the famed Wacken Open Air in Germany

Most concerts in The United States that are huge seem to be mostly mainstream Pop, Rap, and Hip Hop concerts.

\,,/ 😫 \,,/ Head Bangers of the world unite!

Yes it is misunderstood, but that doesn't seem to stop people [Who have never even heard a single song from them] from wearing their t-shirts, or any other Rock, Alt, ect bands, because its suddenly a "Cool" thing to do.
GRRRRR!!!!
That's because it has become more popular to wear Band Shirts and they sell them at popular stores, like Hot Topic

So obviously a lot of people will see a shirt, like the Graphics and/or words that are on it and buy it for that reason; even if some of them have no idea who the band is or what their music sounds like.

I'm personally not a fan of most of these new wave "Hard Rock/Heavy Metal" groups; especially the ones that seem to use a certain image to gain popularity

It feels like that's all a lot of people like about those groups; not the actual music - what the members of the band look like

And IMO it should be about the music, not the costumes and makeup they are wearing.

Last edited:

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
A lot of people take the attitude that "Rock is dead" or that there's nothing new other than a lot of pop stuff since the 90's. There is nothing farther from the truth. SiriusXM and the internet have given us a new revolution in music. Now, you can drill down to whatever genre you love and focus on it rather than listen to whatever the local station puts on the airwaves and be stuck with that.

Now, for a metal band to actually get ahead, they really tend to be a lot better. They can't play the US mega-arenas like the 80's and 90's because there isn't enough airplay to get that many people in a population center interested. Europe is easier because the population density is higher. So these bands play smaller venues more often and get that much more time being practiced at their art. They appreciate their fans because without them, they don't get paid (since they don't get revenue from mainstream airwaves like before). They put a lot of effort into their music, and it shows.

I'm listening to a variety of hard rock and metal. I've got tickets to Slipknot/Volbeat in July which should be epic. I've gotten to do meet and greets with Volbeat, Skillet, Halestorm, and been side stage for Godsmack. Seen A7X, Disturbed, Megadeth, 5FDP, Seether, and I don't know how many others live. Octane is my go-to station in the car, and the collection of stuff we have from shows anymore is amazing.

My main band right now is Volbeat, BTW. Do yourself a favor and listen to 'Sad Man's Tongue' or '16 Dollars' once you get a bottle of their rum and have a shot or two.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
I would imagine it probably varies based on country also; while there is a lot of American Hard Rock and Heavy Metal; I feel like it is a much bigger thing culturally in certain areas, like for example much of Europe

I have seen the areas that Hard Rock and Heavy Metal bands perform at in Europe, and some of them are truly Massive such as the famed Wacken Open Air in Germany
I'm not sure if it is realy that different here in Europe - maybe the events are somehow smaller then that ones in the USA like AnalogRTO had writen. How ever - I thing one major point is that a lot of band - not only Metal Bands live from the differentiation. The Music business is pretty dead if it comes to the selling of your music and airplay. Actually you may see the reaction to this, because that what was usual for band in the USA for decades - that you have to do the marketing by yourself - is now also in Europe reality. Musicpublishers will invest there money only if you are able to fill hall's with 5 to 10k people regulary. So in consequence many Bands say: Hey if we have to do all of this by ourselves, we don't need the publishers at all. The only way to live from the music nowadays is playing concerts and do merch - records are dead. So a good fan base is essential.

The point is, that music was - and is a major cultural identification feature. So for many band - especaily if it comes to Metal and Hip Hop - it is not that important to have airplay - but even somtimes counterproductive. Actualy - if a band gets more airplay they become more mainstream and are less interesting for there fans, who actualy like to distinguish themselves from the mainstream. People that listen to these bands on the radio not nessesarily also visiting there concerts and so in a worse case the band may lose there fanbase. More over - if a major label is interested and they get a contract, they have to streamline there music in a way that fit's to the label. This is for a lot of this bands not acceptable.

So if you visit Waken you propably will see a lot of really good bands that are known only to insiders. Of cause Waken have meanwhile also some major acts with airplay on the mainstage, but that is not what Waken stands for.

Maybe it's not the quastion, if Metal - or any other music is misunderstood. I would ask: "Why should music be understandable to every one...?" I can't see any need for this - except that you like to listen to music as to go to Burger King...

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
I think a lot of people that say they hate Heavy Metal music probably listen to Metallica or other Metal Bands, they just dont realize it is Heavy Metal.
I'd worry about someone who doesn't realise that Metallica is a metal band! :LOL:

With mainstream pop songs they blend everything together, theres no balance and they have to heavily rely on auto-tune and catchy beats
Argh! And don't get me started on bandwidth compression! That's the reason pop-songs are so hard to mentally tune-out. There's no dynamic range.

Back in 1998, the KLF wrote The Manual (How to Have a Number One Hit the Easy Way), explaining how to get to number one with no music ability and no money, then released the truly awful "Doctorin' the Tardis" as an example. It reached no. 1 in the UK and New Zealand, and made the top-ten in Australia, Finland, Ireland and Norway. :rolleyes:

And I saw an amazing documentary, revealing the secrets pop-writers use. So many songs use the same chord progressions. It's really formulaic and soul-less. Fascinating, though. I think it was The Secret Science of Pop. It's available in the UK for the next week. Maybe there are other ways to find a copy online... :whistle:

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
Argh! And don't get me started on bandwidth compression! That's the reason pop-songs are so hard to mentally tune-out. There's no dynamic range.

Back in 1998, the KLF wrote The Manual (How to Have a Number One Hit the Easy Way), explaining how to get to number one with no music ability and no money, then released the truly awful "Doctorin' the Tardis" as an example. It reached no. 1 in the UK and New Zealand, and made the top-ten in Australia, Finland, Ireland and Norway. :rolleyes:

And I saw an amazing documentary, revealing the secrets pop-writers use. So many songs use the same chord progressions. It's really formulaic and soul-less. Fascinating, though. I think it was The Secret Science of Pop. It's available in the UK for the next week. Maybe there are other ways to find a copy online... :whistle:
Same chord progressions, and maybe four chords total--all pitch-bent, canned 'orchestra hit' samples. (Or maybe I'm just thinking about a particularly overplayed Carly Rae song.)

Although, to the 'soulless' point: Some popular music is just way too soulful for me. I mean, I totally get that, for certain artists, singing is a form of therapy, but... Don't make me your therapist! Take Adele, for example: I'm surprised her music videos aren't just her wobbling around on the railing of a bridge or something. Really? Dayum, girl, I got my own problems! STFU!!

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
:)... we have a thread here called “Most annoying modern technologies”... Maybe we should add brig-wall limiters and ROM’plers... with sampling technologies I’m not that sure but if it comes to canned ‘orchestra hit’s’ that’s an absolutely a no go...

I hate the loudness war. Last time I made the mistake to listen to something called Pink Floyed remastered on Amazon... what a mess... I mean despite of the fact that nothing sounds there like the original they even topped themselves with this shit...

PapaBear001

Come say hello to Papa Bear!
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The are many sub-genre of heavy metal. I don't really think it is misunderstood. It is not as popular in the US. Sure, some of the newer Metallica is Pop but after Garage Days, it wasn't really metal anyway. Then again, the "Charts" only work for songs categorized as Pop or songs most likely broadcast. Not much Slayer on the air waves. So I will listen to thrash metal and all the Pop-ers can list to the same old I-IV-V over and over.

CrazySmoker

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Another metalhead here.

I live in Spain and... I scream "Muerte al regeton !!!" Regeton is the cheap, uncult, machist and creepy, unable to call it music, just only molesting noise.

Trap and that shitty regeton IMHO needs hard censure.

Marcus95

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
The fighting from within the metal genre is even worse. Eliteists crying about metalcore not being real metal.

Savagefoxchild

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
I've never liked music on radio or TV I always look for it on the internet there's a lot of decent free music on YouTube if you right click in the middle of a YouTube video you can Loop that video and listen to the same song over and over again that's what I do I even make a playlist of the music I like I can't really share it cuz I have the playlist set to private

here's some samples of what I like to listen to three of them

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
I've never liked music on radio or TV I always look for it on the internet there's a lot of decent free music on YouTube if you right click in the middle of a YouTube video you can Loop that video and listen to the same song over and over again that's what I do I even make a playlist of the music I like I can't really share it cuz I have the playlist set to private
Hmm... I catch your point - but this is exactly what had made the music business to become what it is... I don't say that it is that bad at all, and due to the fact that meanwhile every one who's talented enough can make his own production and publish it on the net we see a lot of really talented people coming up there productions. This was never possible in this way before and this is a really plus for all of us.
How ever - you should never forget that people doing this seriously not doing it as a hobby. To be really good in what you're doing you have to practice it all the time. Unfortunately meanwhile no-one seems to be willing to pay for the artists and there work anymore. The money that can be earned over the internet platforms is really nothing, and you probably make more money if you play four hours as a one-man show in a busy shopping street. I mean - if you like the music it would be only fair to support those who are making it.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well the way I see technological changes is that there are Pros and Cons just like with anything else

Pros

1. If you put something together, put it on a popular platform, and it becomes a huge hit; there is a chance that some record label Exec discovers you and you get signed; this is more famous in recent years with Rap though particularly Soundcloud Rap and "Artists" like Lil Pump and Post Malone (IMO its because they know what to do to catch the attention of Morons)

2. Technology that even allows you to produce your own music; whereas in past decades you would have to go to a recording studio and pay for sessions (unless you were a big enough act to have your own studio, record label, or were signed to a record label)

Cons

1. The biggest Con is a lot of people simply download (or listen to) music for free and may not actually go out there to concerts to support the Artists and buy their Merchandise; this doesn't seem to be an issue with the famous bands like Metallica, Dream Theater, etc - once they are established and sell out seating in big concerts and make literally millions on concert sales (the tickets to get in, CDs, T Shirts, Bumper Stickers, etc)

On a side note that takes me back to an old episode of South Park that tackled Downloading Music and showed successful musicians having to make a compromise on the expensive things they buy because of money being taken out of their pocket by people downloading music; it's like "at least you can still afford a Private Jet" which is something Artists that are still struggling to make it cant do; so downloading music is a much bigger problem to those that havent "Made it" yet

So in recent years/decades there is more importance on getting out there and performing to make sales than the actual sales of their music CDs/Singles

2. Record labels dont like to take risks; so many Artists can be unsigned as the Record Labels may not think the Artists have what it takes to make it big time and make the Record Labels enough money to satisfy them; they are in it to make money 1st and foremost; if they think they wont make money on an Artist that Artist is not getting signed.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Having some time to think about this, I was reminded that one of my favorite albums ( I have it on CD ) is "Jar of Flies" by Alice in Chains. That is a great album in my opinion. And who doesn't remember "Everything I Do I Do It for You" by Brian Adams. I think it's a great song, one that was used at the end of the movie, "Robin Hood".