IS it possible to get a rash without "using" your diaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akikitsune

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
I always thought I was pretty immune to diaper rash since I hardly ever actually use my diapers for their intended purpose, but I do wear almost 24/7 and it seems that something is irritating my skin, and diaper rash would be my immediate guess as to what is causing the irritation, but people always talk about getting a rash after being in a wet or soiled diaper for long periods of time (which isn't the case for me). So, is this even possible, can you get a rash from just sweat? The air is very dry and cold here, being the coldest month of winter, could this have something to do with it?

I should also point out that I wear cloth diapers exclusively.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
You can absolutely get a rash from just sweat. You can also get fungal infections (e.g. jock itch, ringworm) and other nasties. Moist skin is all that's required.

Iamjust2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Dont let it get bad it will be hard to get rid of if the skin starts turning red in patches. After that the skin starts to break open. If it is bad use a anti-fungal cream for athletes foot it is cheap at walmart. This will kill the diaper rash in a couple of days. Good luck keeping it under control

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yes it is possible. I have always had a problem with sweat rashes. The only thing that I have ever found and made it go away, not just arrest it for a while is "Goldbond". It will sting like the dickens the first time, but the Zinc Oxide in it will dry up the site and also inhibited the growth of fungal infections that will form after the sweat rash starts to clear up.

Adventurer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
  4. Other
I've gotten rashes before from being really active, sweating, and having my underwear too close to my skin for a long time. Oddly, I found that a good solution is often just to clean off in the shower, then give the area time to air out. This can be done by just going to bed without wearing any sort of pants (or by walking around bottomless, if you don't mind a few arrest warrants). Basically, just clean the affected area, and let it air out a bit. If you've been sweating all day, you can also do this as a preventive measure.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I got diaper rash just by wearing pull-ups while potty training as a kid. :wallbash:

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
Aside from the fact i've gotten diaper rashes from really cheap diapers, I used to work in a drywall plant decades past, I worked in the mill building where the temps on the upper floors (9 stories high) were sauna hot (140~150 degrees), one didn't spend much time up there on hot summer days (160~170F), it is actually the only place i've been where one wore heavy winter clothing to protect from the heat (buys an extra 20 minutes or so at a time). about once an hour in a 12 hour shift, I'd go up to do visual inspections and collect samples, it usually takes 20 minutes unless something goes wrong, then i'm up there for 45 minutes at a time (heat stroke is a real concern, even with outdoor temps at -20F, though one usually finds the 90F temps a lot more bearable.
I used to get a heat/sweat rash inside my thighs alot working there, sometimes, by the end of the shift, it would become unbearable (walking 10~15 miles a day in that heat, then the necessary cooldown) I think I remember drinking 2 gallons of water/gatorade a day working there

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

Short answer: Y
Medium answer: Yes
Long answer: When skin is left wet/damp you can always get a rash if conditions are correct...also you can get a heat rash from diapers...especially if you have some plastic backing directly on the skin...

Diaper rash is inevitable if you wear diapers...

C

CrinklySiren

hell, you can get diaper rash WITHOUT diapers xD. Go to a theme park in the summer with regular underwear (be they panties or boxer shorts) and you'll still get jock itch or chaffing or a rash. Diapers just increase the chances of this because there is more room for moisture to be held.

Let me be a testament to say the following: Jock itch SUCKS.... its so fucking painful and discomforting and ugly looking ~ your inner thighs look all purple and vascular, and it looks like you have an alien infection that is transforming you into the alien that infected you from the inside out.

Thats why whenever I wear diapers, i get generous with the baby powder to keep the area dry and I ususally change immediately unless I'm immobile or not doing much. But if i'm out and I wet it, i change out of it because walking around in a wet diaper for a long period of time does not only increase your chances of diaper rash regardless of how much powder you used, but its also maddeningly uncomfortable ~ I went to Washington DC 2 xmas' ago, and I took nothing but diapers, and let me say that after having to walk everywhere... I regretted it most of the time except for at bed time... being covered in layers of winter clothes, with a diaper underneath; made me feel like i was my own planet, complete with a magma hot center and all >_<

giantguy99

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
I would recommend that just before you put on a diaper use Cornstarch Baby powder (talcum powder is a carcinogen) and try using Vaseline or at least some generic petroleum jelly over the area that could get a rash if you where to use the diaper. I do that and it seems to work flawlessly for me as I have never once in my life gotten diaper rash.

aviationchild

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
My worst "diaper" rash actually occurred without wearing a diaper. Spending three weeks in a hot country with no AC and generally poor access to proper sanitation was a pretty bad combination. Luckily, it disappeared fairly quickly when I returned.

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Heat and moisture (sweat and/or urine) can cause diaper rash even without fungal infections. Mainly in the summer and warm temperatures you can get a heat rash. Also wet diapers rubbing against the skin can cause chafing which eventually will end up as a rash. Using cloth diapers often aggravates the condition since the wetness usually stays close to the skin. I always use powder when I wear cloth diapers and if I am going to be very active I will switch to a disposable during the day.

quartz200420012

Diaper Historian
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
If I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants in the summer months, I get heat rash.

tallbaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I've gotten a rash from certain diapers because of the chemicals in the diaper...the worst offenders for me are Dry 24-7 diapers...they always broke the skin on my hips out severely, and around the waistband to a lesser degree.

ryizan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
For that matter, if you're really active you might get some skin irritation just from the plastic/elastic of the diaper constantly rubbing up against you. Not as bad as a full-on diaper rash, but it is still pretty annoying.

Akikitsune

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
Well I don't know about heat, since its winter here (I live in New England) and one of the coldest and driest we,be had in a long time. I've been using lotion, or bagbalm with lots of powder and that seems to be backing it off a bit. Its possible it'll never really go away until the summer when the air is a little more friendly to my skin. I don't use plastic pants, only PUL covers or PUL AIOs, but they do hold moisture closer to the skin.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Well I don't know about heat, since its winter here (I live in New England)

winter is worse as you're mostly covered up, which is probably worse than wearing and using diapers either occasionally or regularly (regular users will probably be more hygiene conscious). i'm in Olde England, btw :)

another cause can be sitting down for too long ('too long' depends entirely on your own body, there's no fixed rule) and especially sitting in soft, absorbant communal seating, like an office chair or a wagon chair (and you should smell some of those!) which will be laden with the shitty arse-sweat from other people.

in a few days, i'll be trialling an iodine spray (for owd nags, no less!) as a regular use preventative for my skin condition. i've been through all the readily available options, but i was quite surprised at how quick a Betadine solution (sent by my sister, in Spain) lessened my current flare-up; much quicker than owt prescribed by the doctor.
for some reason, iodine solutions have fallen from general knowledge, over here, but if it works on mucky horses, it must be good.

i'll let y'all know how it goes; must trot :D

Akikitsune

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
thanks for the suggestions everyone. So far I've tried drying out the area with Goldbond powder, but that actually seemed to make it worse and my skin got a cracked quality to it. Moisturizing with lotion and or bagbalm seems to help the most, so I'm not sure what the actual problem is. Perhaps it's some sort of chafing, or maybe the diaper constantly soaking up moisture is getting my skin too dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.