Is it possible for one brand of diaper to cause urethral irritation?

enthusi

Young at heart, slightly older in other places.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
These last few days I’ve been having a lot of burning at the tip of my urethra off and on when I’m peeing. My first thought was UTI and I started on antibiotics to be safe. I’ve never had a UTI before but I know painful urination is a symptom. Though I don’t have any other symptoms.

But I got to thinking. I very recently bought some cheapo plastic backed Attends that I got at steep discount from Facebook Marketplace. They were unopened bags. They are truly terrible diapers but they make decent stuffers when you cut holes in them.

My question is has anyone ever heard of a diaper causing irritation to the urethra tip? I I’ve tried dozens of brands of diapers over the years and this hasnt happened before. But it wouldn’t shock me if Attends uses some sort of low grade abrasive chemical.

Either way I plan to take my antibiotic and hit the pause button on these Attends. Did I mention they’re terrible?

Reactions: Edgewater
Could it be the SAP in the diaper that is causing that? I rarely experience, but have once in a great while. It always passes quickly so I never really gave it much thought.

Not to be rude, but is there any chance for a STI?
I have used a lot of Attends over the years, but never noticed any different from other brands.
I have gotten sore and had rashes, but that had more to do with spending too long time in very wet diapers.
Allergi is also one possibility.

I haven't heard of this exactly but I have found I can't use Tena nappies because I get a rash from them but I don't with any other brands that I have tried . Your urethra might just be sensitive to something in the attends .

OnePiece said:
Not to be rude, but is there any chance for a STI?
I have used a lot of Attends over the years, but never noticed any different from other brands.
I have gotten sore and had rashes, but that had more to do with spending too long time in very wet diapers.
Allergi is also one possibility.
No offense taken. I would have to be sexually active to get an std, or really really unlucky.

Reactions: OnePiece and Edgewater
It is possible that those Diapers have been stored incorrectly could develop or had been exposed to some kind of irritant that you are reacting to. But, it is important to say, that would be rare without signs of packaging leakage, discoloration, etc..

More likely, for any number of reasons you have become sensitive to something in your own urine, your current diaper, booster, a barrier cream or paste, powder, etc.. Also, any number of irritations as part of your diet, general chemicals used, etc, etc, etc..

With hope, this possible UTI will leave as part of your antibiotics and your life will return to normal.

enthusi said:
No offense taken. I would have to be sexually active to get an std, or really really unlucky.
yes, some diapers with fragrances, like pampers will give me diaper rash if i wear wet 4 or more hours,. feel little when rubbing on cream anticeptic.

Absolutely, as there are slightly different formulations going making the stuffng and processes of making the diaper which may cause skin sensitivity. in fact a couple years ago, there was a story out there that a new formulation in Pampers were causing severe rashes, irritation on Infants. However, biggest culprits of UTI and urethral irritation are the following
1. How well does the diaper/brief/pull-up wick moisture away from the patient
2. Number or settings ( how many times the person can use the product before it needs to be changed)
3. How frequently is the person changed and how well the area the diaper/brief/pull-up is covering cleaned.
Bacteria, that cause UTI and irritation thrive on an environment that is warm, moist, and dark that is stagnant. if you have a mixture of any of the above there or have product that doesn’t absorb liquid well, you‘re going to have a bacteria growth. I hope this helps

Reactions: HereWeGo2169 and Edgewater
enthusi said:
These last few days I’ve been having a lot of burning at the tip of my urethra off and on when I’m peeing. My first thought was UTI and I started on antibiotics to be safe. I’ve never had a UTI before but I know painful urination is a symptom. Though I don’t have any other symptoms.

But I got to thinking. I very recently bought some cheapo plastic backed Attends that I got at steep discount from Facebook Marketplace. They were unopened bags. They are truly terrible diapers but they make decent stuffers when you cut holes in them.

My question is has anyone ever heard of a diaper causing irritation to the urethra tip? I I’ve tried dozens of brands of diapers over the years and this hasnt happened before. But it wouldn’t shock me if Attends uses some sort of low grade abrasive chemical.

Either way I plan to take my antibiotic and hit the pause button on these Attends. Did I mention they’re terrible?
Good evening! Yes that can happen as I had experienced that same issue last week or so. My best way to describe the sensation....it felt as though a dragon sneezed and fire came out but only from the head/tip. It continued for several days. I initially thought I was about to pass a kidney stone. Not a pleasant feeling at all. Fortunately though, I was on an antibiotics to treat for something else so I did not have to request a script. My best advice is to change frequently and clean up very well. I certainly don't want to mention the diaper company's name as I never had issues with them if that makes any sense. I know when I've had UTI's or passing a stone I was given pryidiam (AZO I think over the counter) to help with the burning sensation, however I would always consult your doctor b4 taking anything. I hope you feel better stay safe.

Update… it is DEFINITELY the Attends. I’ve been taking my antibiotics and stopped using the Attends and the burning went away after a day. This morning I experimented by using one of the Attends as a booster and it felt like I was peeing fire. Im not sure why these Attends are irritating my urethra and I don’t care. I’m done with them.

Reactions: OnePiece and Edgewater
enthusi said:
Update… it is DEFINITELY the Attends. I’ve been taking my antibiotics and stopped using the Attends and the burning went away after a day. This morning I experimented by using one of the Attends as a booster and it felt like I was peeing fire. Im not sure why these Attends are irritating my urethra and I don’t care. I’m done with them.

Very likely a chemical conflict between your skin and the interior of the Attends diaper. It happens and happy that you were able to determine the source. Remember that products change as technology advances, so it is possible that at some point, advancements will occur and they may move away from whatever is causing the irritation.

Back