Is it me or are there tons more 'end of the world' shows on lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Is it just me or are there more 'end of the world' or 'last days of people' shows on lately. It seems every time I tune to NGC or something I see one. Anyone care to enlighten me on it lol.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
NGC did a 'preview' for a show called End Days. There's Life After People on the History Channel. And just tons more, those two I like XD.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Everyone is trying to cash in on the whole "The end will come in 2012." thing.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
my god. how long before we're all consumed by these shows?!

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
NGC did a 'preview' for a show called End Days. There's Life After People on the History Channel. And just tons more, those two I like XD.

Life after people is not a end of the world show. It's a show about what might happen after all humans are removed from earth, doesn't mean we will all be dead. It could just be a live action Wall-E.

----------------
Now playing: Ben Folds - Brainwascht
via FoxyTunes

Role
  1. Private
Everyone is trying to cash in on the whole "The end will come in 2012." thing.
Yep.

Making an "end of the world" prophecy is actually a pretty elegant business plan, when you think about it. The only drawback is the timescale. :(

B

Butterfly Mage

Right... since a civilization that died out 400 years ago is a trustworthy source for determining when the world is going to end, har har.

Oh, wait, I thought the world was going to end next Friday when the televisions stop working! Aaaiieeeee!!!!

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Right... since a civilization that died out 400 years ago is a trustworthy source for determining when the world is going to end, har, har.

Yes. I don't see how a calendar made by indians can prove that the end of the world is coming. Just because the calendar ends doesn't mean everything else ends with it. Its like saying when I log off of this site today, the whole site's gonna crash. The only reason the calendar ends at that date is because the Mayans didn't feel like making more calendar because they weren't gonna live that long anyway.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Yes. I don't see how a calendar made by indians can prove that the end of the world is coming. Just because the calendar ends doesn't mean everything else ends with it. Its like saying when I log off of this site today, the whole site's gonna crash. The only reason the calendar ends at that date is because the Mayans didn't feel like making more calendar because they weren't gonna live that long anyway.

the mayan calender doesn't end in 2012, though.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
It's like all that Y2K crap that went around 10 years ago. Nothing happened, and nothing's going to happen now. It's all that paranoia, same damn thing, different decade. And it will get worse next year and the year after that.

WildThing121675

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
Yep.

Making an "end of the world" prophecy is actually a pretty elegant business plan, when you think about it. The only drawback is the timescale. :(

It's almost as good a business plan as telling someone to give you twenty percent of your income for your entire life, then...wait for it...when you die, you get to go somewhere cool. That's the best business plan there's ever been, because the product they're selling, by its very nature, can never come with a warranty.

Oh, but yeah: Come on, 2012! W00000t! :D

B

Butterfly Mage

We don't have any of this "End of the World" crap in Wicca -- unless you want to consider that the sun will run out of hydrogen in 7 billion years.

I think the EOTW hysteria is part and parcel for the fundamentalist religions since those faiths are much more about control/repression than they are about freedom/expression.

Whenever the fundamentalists start losing membership (as they are now), they tend to ressurect the specter of the EOTW so that it will terrify the nominal members back into submission. It's sort of their "nuclear" option, since the leadership looks pretty foolish if no large natural didaster happens at the appointed time.

Of course, the far right have been calling this the Last Days since the 1980s and that dreadful book series by Beverly LeHay hasn't helped much.

Role
  1. Other
It's not only the Mayan calendar thing, it's also ways for activists to try and get the publics' support on protected the Earth and reducing pollution or going green. Because what better way to get support (like Butterfly Mage said) than through fear and TV.

bobbyjeff

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm just pissed because I love to shoot as a hobby through a local tactical/target club, but with all of the fear around the "2012" thing and the fear and loathing after the last US presidential election prices on supplies and ammunition have made my hobby no longer affordable :(

I saw a newspaper article in a local paper about a local guy who had stockpiled tens of thousands of rounds "just in case". Don't get me wrong, I was a boy scout and had "be prepared" beaten into my skull, but some of these guys just make me giggle a little sometimes. I feel like I'm watching Burt from the movie Temors.

Azdf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
Apocalypse How - Rob Kutner said:
The famously sophisticated Mayan calendar predicted a "great change" would occur in our year 2012, which some interpret as a reference to the end. Isn't it funny how you can be good at predicting the end of someone else's civilization, but...
^Really (darkly) funny book, for those interested.

Really, everyone was up in arms about Y2K, and look what happened!* Being part of the class of 2012, It's more of a joke topic than a worry.
I do have a friend who is convinced the Zombie Apocalypse will happen soon, and that 2012 is the best candidate date so far. Hilarious? Yes!

*For the record, still alive!

Xboxbaby

Banned
Role
  1. Other
I have researched the entire 2012 end of the world prophecy intensively. I don't feel like typing a whole page so I will keep it short.

1. The statement that the Mayan Calendar ends in December 2012 is false. The Mayan Calendar is like a cars speedometer, when it reaches "9" it goes back to "0". The calendar was based off of wheels that turn. These wheels do not stop 2012 they keep turning. For some this has been termed to be the beginning of the new age.

2. To me 2012 does have some significance. I strongly believe that it will mark the end of the new age. The new age will be called the age of the Aquarius and will mark the beginning when science and religion find common ground. I have found other sources that "hint" to this being true, even in the bible.

For the TV thing, producers will always put doomsday tv shows on because it makes money. Simple :)

Status
Not open for further replies.