Is incontinence natural in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGnome

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This might be a stupid question but I was philosophizing if humans are going against nature when they potty train? I have taken care of horses and quite a few animals and I have noticed they don't hold their urine back like we do. They just go whenever and wherever they want. I think scientist say all animals are naturally incontinent but i'm not sure if that's true. So anyway my question to everyone here is, do you think abdls are actually following natures course by wanting to stay incontinent? Maybe is why kids naturally resist potty training so much. Maybe cause its been coded inside our DNA, its' bad hold back your waste.

Reactions: AAO
Animals in the wild that are not predators would survive much longer if they are careful about where they do their business.

When you see kids resisting, part of it today is that baby diaper manufacturers have engineered out the unpleasantness for the child. A lot of people are simply resistant to any change in their routine, and always have been. The first 2ish years of your life, diapers are the routine.

My dog holds it until I take her out for a walk, so animals can certainly learn continence. Whether they are naturally continent in the wild is the question. I've noticed that animals aren't peeing and pooping all the time. I suspect they are like us. When we need to pee, we go to the bathroom. We're not peeing and dribbling constantly. The same is true with animals. They hold it until there is a need and then they go.

No, incontinence is not natural in the wild. Other animals (besides people) also pee and poop strategically, when and where it is safe to do so. They wouldn't survive very long otherwise. If I wanted to eat you, I would find you pretty fast if you were peeing and pooping in your home. That behavior would also bring microbes, fungus and other unwanted things into your life. That being said some animals recycle their own poop, pee on themselves to regulate their temperature or do both to mark their teritories. Incontinence is a sign of a disease, defect or injury. It is neither strategic nor rational.

Last edited:
Spaz said:
No, incontinence is not natural in the wild. Other animals (besides people) also pee and poop strategically, when and where it is safe to do so. They wouldn't survive very long otherwise. If I wanted to eat you, I would find you pretty fast if you were peeing and pooping in your home. That behavior would also bring microbes, fungus and other unwanted things into your life. That being said some animals recycle their own poop, pee on themselves to regulate their temperature or do both to mark their teritories. Incontinence is a sign of a disease, defect or injury. It is neither strategic nor rational.
Well so much for us not being weird lol!

I have had cats for years and years and they do hold their pee and poop.

I know dogs can do this too. So I assume that many (most?) animals can.

Some animals go where they stand sure like horses and sheep but others definitely put thought into where they go.

I know for a fact several pets I've owned have had "potty corners" that I didn't teach them like hamsters.

I've never potty trained cats either. They seem to just know how to use a litter box for the most part. Even stray cats bury their business to hide from potential predators.

A lot of animals will not use the bathroom where they sleep and eat unless something is wrong or they have nowhere else to go either.

BabyDenise said:
I have had cats for years and years and they do hold their pee and poop.

I know dogs can do this too. So I assume that many (most?) animals can.
I don't doubt domestic cats and dogs do because they are trained by humans. But I was asking what they would naturally do in the wild without human influence?

Sheepies said:
Some animals go where they stand sure like horses and sheep but others definitely put thought into where they go.

I know for a fact several pets I've owned have had "potty corners" that I didn't teach them like hamsters.

I've never potty trained cats either. They seem to just know how to use a litter box for the most part. Even stray cats bury their business to hide from potential predators.

A lot of animals will not use the bathroom where they sleep and eat unless something is wrong or they have nowhere else to go either.
Yes I think we can conclude animals aren't naturally incontinent. Just fun thing that popped in my head. I'm jealous of your "Sheepies" name by the way! It's really is the cutest name lol!

MrGnome said:
I don't doubt domestic cats and dogs do because they are trained by humans. But I was asking what they would naturally do in the wild without human influence?

Well, the 1st cat I had was a kitten from a barn-yard cat that wasn't 'trained' and yet my cat had all the signs of holding and releasing only when needed.

I still believe that cats and dogs (domesticated or not) will not just go anytime/anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back