Is incontinence genetic or is it caused by an accident?

NonbiriNeoguri said:
Other way around, you see - many accidents are caused by incontinence šŸ˜‹
ChristianDiaperLover said:
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if Iā€™ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?
Iā€™m sure there are many different causes, mine was an auto accident and spinal cord damage

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
There are also the people who purposefully make themselves incontinent, but they seem to be few and far between.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
ChristianDiaperLover said:
I always wondered is incontinence genetic or only caused by accidents? My grandparents had incontinence and so I was wondering if Iā€™ll end up becoming as well? My bladder is very sensitive and I usually have to pee a lot. More often than when I was a kid. Does that mean something? Any of you have advice?
My Grandmother and my Mother were both incontinent in old age and I am incontinent now Diabetes has been the cause for al of us.

• Wow
Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover and BobbiSueEllen
I think there are hereditary factors at play. My mom, Aunt and Uncle all have OAB at the very least. All from the same set of parents. Each of us have completely different diets and lifestyles.

My OAB, Iā€™ve had my whole life but my dad told me about my uncle who used to work as a driving instructor and used to have to use empty water bottles since he always had to go. I guess itā€™s genetic.

Brings to mind the old joke, ā€œIncontinence is hereditary... it runs in your jeansā€

(Only if you donā€™t wear a good nappy, of course...)

Hehe! True!

I think my dad may have had trouble don't think my younger sister did.I have had trouble almost half of my life the last childhood accident was about 13yr then lucky to be dry for several yrs then in my 50'started all over again.

Sometimes its caused by diseases, like in my case!
As for advice. The only advice I can give is, ALWAYS bring a spare change of clothes, listen to your body and trust the people around you that they will understand. Back when I was able to work I was a janitor, and trust me, accidents are more common then you think and gossiping about what we had to clean up has never been an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoimi and ChocChip
LimeBloodedNoir said:
Sometimes its caused by diseases, like in my case!
As for advice. The only advice I can give is, ALWAYS bring a spare change of clothes, listen to your body and trust the people around you that they will understand. Back when I was able to work I was a janitor, and trust me, accidents are more common then you think and gossiping about what we had to clean up has never been an issue.
wow. i thought having due tot bad genes in my DNA was bad, but i couldn't imagine having one's continence being taken away by a disease

Back