Is being consistently leak free limited to people who are not overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hex000f

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I'm male, 5'7, and about 225 pounds for reference. I'm using either large or extra large bambino bellisimos, depending on which one I feel more confident with at the time.

By 'leak free' I'm hoping for the following:

- that the diaper should hold the first wetting without leaking, assuming its completely dry before hand and that one is standing up, regardless of how much that first wetting is. I don't flood on purpose, but I can't wear all the time every day so I sometimes have to wait a while to get some private time to use a diaper.
- That the diaper can be wet at least 2-3 times in total, assuming at most 1 is a huge wetting.

Some people around me insist that I need to lose weight to not leak anymore. However dieting is VERY HARD for me since I rely on food as a comfort more then anything else.

I recently had a few weeks where I wore diapers occasionally, followed by 1 week where I got to wear all day for 4 of the 7 days. That whole time I didn't have any issues not counting leaking since my diaper was too wet already since I was still experimenting with total capacity.

Then the next day, just when I thought my leak issues were finally over I leaked during a first wetting, I wonder if I'll ever solve this...

P.S. In the past I've purposefully let my bladder fill up a lot and wet a diaper to see if its possible for it to hold everything, since I figured that if it can hold a huge wetting, it can hold something smaller too. I've succeeded with that a few times but its not much of a confidence booster.

edit: In addition to that, I'm wondering if an occasional leak is simply human error? Meaning that I shouldn't worry about as much as I do? As is it feels like I need to reset some aspects of my comfort level each time I leak, and that's not very comforting each time it happens

Last edited:
Try not to wait until you are bursting 1. Your kidneys and bladder were be strained and you may have a painful infection or injury, try explaining that in A and E!

2. Your bladder will grow and hold more pee than before.

3. Try to pee when you first need to go or else later on you will more pee to pee out.

I'm 6'2''. I was c. 240 lb, now I'm c. 220 lb. I've found that getting a good fit is getting easier, so yes, unfortunately, I would say that body shape probably has something to do with it.

I am 24/7 and IC and I do leak occasionally, as I've said in your other thread, even though I get a lot of practice in self-diapering. I don't think it's anything to be worried about. Just wear dark pants.

I'm a chubster myself at 5'6" and 240lbs. Been making big strides towards weight loss though and have lost 18lbs so far.

An idea you could try is stuffing your diaper with a smaller baby diaper or incontinence pad to increase the amount it'll hold.

the weight loss really does help but realistically you may also want to look at suplementing the diaper (tena overnight, goodnight tru-fit, a booster pad some sort) in it, they can really help

I'm 6'3" 350lbs and I use Abena AbriForm L4s and they're reliable as any I've found. I almost never leak, and when I do it's generally my own fault for staying in it too long. I would make sure to work on the fit of your diaper as that can make a huge difference, and the aforementioned booster suggestions are good ones as well, I always wear one to bed and if I'm going to be out drinking or in the same diaper for a long period of time.

It happens, but its not the end of the world....

hex000f said:
Some people around me insist that I need to lose weight to not leak anymore. However dieting is VERY HARD for me since I rely on food as a comfort more then anything else.

We're in the same boat. I am a larger person, and wear 24/7 for non medical reasons. I occasionally leak as well. The thing I have found that contributes to leaking is where the weight is distributed on the body. There are some people who have a lot of cellulite on the inner thigh, where the diaper passes through. Since a large part of the absorbent material is in the back of the diaper, the wetness needs to pass through the middle of the diaper to get there. For males, If it cant pass through due to being obstructed by big thighs, you will leak in the front. If you are leaking in the butt area, it means either the diaper is at capacity or there is a diaper fit issue.

To combat this, I occasionally use Abena Abri-Let Maxi boosters. They make the diaper fit more snugly, and help distribute wetness to the back of the diaper.

I know what you mean about eating for comfort. I do as well. Depression sucks!

There's a lot of factors that could lead to leaking. You haven't specified much to help correct it. I'm also overweight, I don't have issues with leaking unless I'm wearing a cheap diaper.

Over time, in my experience with diapers, I've learned from trial and error mixed with reading advice.

First thing to mention would be, you could be using the wrong sized diaper. Your diaper could be too large or too small. A mixture of this and a bad taping strategy will create gaps near the back of the legs. You could be taping the bottom tapes too tightly. You may think getting the tightest fit possible is making it leak proof. You're actually making a gap.

Your choice of diaper could play a factor.

The main factor for leaking is flooding itself. If you're typically voiding a large amount of urine, you will almost always leak. I'm pretty sure that you're voiding while sitting as well. Gravity plays a huge roll in the function of a diaper. Liquids will always flow through to the least amount of resistance. When you void, you immediately soak the front of the diaper. The SAP takes a bit longer to absorb. After the first bit of urine is released, the front guides the urine to the lowest point of gravity, until it hits another point of resistance, usually where your weight meets the seat. It will begin to pool up and when it breaches, the leak guards and leg gatherers, you will leak.

I'm sure you enjoy the urgent need to go and like feeling like you had an accident, but if you want any diaper to be better functionally, you will have to compromise your flooding ways.

Instead of releasing your full bladder, control your release in to short squirts. You have to slow your flow for your diaper to work. You can make the worst of diapers work better by controlling yourself.

Stop waiting until you're about to burst. As a truck driver, I've had a really large capacity bladder. I could easily full a 1 liter bottle. When I would wear diapers while driving, I would hold it for awhile until I was full and ready to burst and would leak pretty often. I learned to void in short streams. I also decreased the size of my bladder by going more often rather than hold it in. The lower amount of liquid you release, the less likely you are to leak, AND there will be more of a usable capacity.

Truthfully, I'm on the smaller end of just barely fitting into the size Medium bambinos... As I eat godawful, but have been on competitive swim teams pretty much non-stop since I was very little. I've found that my body type (lanky/fairly skinny) actually seems to cause leaks just as much, partly because I wear diapers 99% of the time when I'm asleep in bed...and almost exclusively sleep facing down.

Unless I tape diapers on RIDICULOUSLY tight across the waist, I've always had the occasional problem with leaks out of the top, no matter what.

I've found that the selections of true size 'Small' diapers out there is fairly limited, so i'm mostly stuck with being content with the smaller sized Mediums, such as bambino. But leaks are certainty a reality, as far as that goes.

I think Bambino Diapers has an excellent selection of boosters. Use 'em.:twocents:

I'm 6'6'' and about 170lbs. and I have problems with leaking mostly due to wetting the diaper too much and the padding is unable to hold anymore. Sometimes it is due to not getting the diaper on just right.

The thought of weight having a role in a leaky diaper never really crossed my mind. How much the diaper is used and how the diaper is put on seems to play a bigger role in leaky diapers.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
There's a lot of factors that could lead to leaking. You haven't specified much to help correct it. I'm also overweight, I don't have issues with leaking unless I'm wearing a cheap diaper.

Over time, in my experience with diapers, I've learned from trial and error mixed with reading advice.

First thing to mention would be, you could be using the wrong sized diaper. Your diaper could be too large or too small. A mixture of this and a bad taping strategy will create gaps near the back of the legs. You could be taping the bottom tapes too tightly. You may think getting the tightest fit possible is making it leak proof. You're actually making a gap.

Your choice of diaper could play a factor.

The main factor for leaking is flooding itself. If you're typically voiding a large amount of urine, you will almost always leak. I'm pretty sure that you're voiding while sitting as well. Gravity plays a huge roll in the function of a diaper. Liquids will always flow through to the least amount of resistance. When you void, you immediately soak the front of the diaper. The SAP takes a bit longer to absorb. After the first bit of urine is released, the front guides the urine to the lowest point of gravity, until it hits another point of resistance, usually where your weight meets the seat. It will begin to pool up and when it breaches, the leak guards and leg gatherers, you will leak.

I'm sure you enjoy the urgent need to go and like feeling like you had an accident, but if you want any diaper to be better functionally, you will have to compromise your flooding ways.

Instead of releasing your full bladder, control your release in to short squirts. You have to slow your flow for your diaper to work. You can make the worst of diapers work better by controlling yourself.

Stop waiting until you're about to burst. As a truck driver, I've had a really large capacity bladder. I could easily full a 1 liter bottle. When I would wear diapers while driving, I would hold it for awhile until I was full and ready to burst and would leak pretty often. I learned to void in short streams. I also decreased the size of my bladder by going more often rather than hold it in. The lower amount of liquid you release, the less likely you are to leak, AND there will be more of a usable capacity.

Thanks for the advice,

Can you point me to a picture or diagram that shows where the tapes should be on a good fit for the correct size? I think that will help me more then a description will. I was unaware of the issue of the bottom tapes being too tight and will try that out.

edit: Is the picture in this article a good start for what a good fit should look like?

https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

I actually don't enjoy flooding: I find waiting that long painful. Its more a side effect of the fact that I can't always have a diaper right when I want it due to my living situation.

Flooding can make a diaper leak at only half capacity. Leaks don't bother me as I am always alone when I wear and usually have protection under me.

hex000f said:
Thanks for the advice,

Can you point me to a picture or diagram that shows where the tapes should be on a good fit for the correct size? I think that will help me more then a description will. I was unaware of the issue of the bottom tapes being too tight and will try that out.

edit: Is the picture in this article a good start for what a good fit should look like?

https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

I actually don't enjoy flooding: I find waiting that long painful. Its more a side effect of the fact that I can't always have a diaper right when I want it due to my living situation.
To be honest, it depends on the diaper you use. The article is a pretty good guide. What kind of diapers are you currently wearing?

If you can afford it, I'd recommend buying ABU Space, Little Paws, or Simple. They are the best diaper around. They have great capacity, tall leak guards, waistband, and most importantly, a tape landing zone. This feature is great for learning how to tape properly, it also maintains fit far longer than diapers without, and best of all, is that you can readjust many times to achieve a great fit. It's a great diaper overall with no cons. The taping panel has thicker, sturdier plastic so it won't stretch out, and keep your diaper fitting snugly for many hours.

As for more taping advice, when taping the bottom tapes (without landing zone) people tend to tape it around the legs towards the bottom pointing towards the crotch. They tape as tightly as possible. When people put diapers on, they are laying down 9/10 times. When they use this leg wrapping method, they are making them selves prone to leaks. When they are in a sitting position, the diaper gets tighter, this creates gaps since the body isn't perfectly round. Your quadriceps and bones make your legs lumpy. Imagine putting a rubber band around something like a lumpy object as tight as possible. You will have space created allowing leaks to escape.
Before laying on the diaper, fold the diaper in half lengthwise. Create a crease to make a good U shape in the crotch.
I usually make the back side of diaper slightly higher than the front.
As you are about to apply the bottom tapes, by pulling snug on them, give it a very small amount looseness, right before you apply them. This will give you a little leg room when sitting or changing positions. The top tapes can be applied pointing slightly downward. Pulling up over the hip and then wrap around downward.

Also make sure you fix the leak guards if available. Make sure they aren't stuck to the liner. Lift them and make sure they are as tall as possible.

I have issues with leaks when I use pullup underwear, but rarely with the diapers I found work for me. Idk about anyone else, but I personally love the way the elastic goes around my legs and rear on the Tena Ultras. It stays perfectly snug on my skin, and I have no leaks no matter what. The best pullup style underwear are the Always Discreet, but the next best are Target store brand, because they both have the inner leak guards. Personally, I stick to cloth-like backed diapers, because I can adjust the tabs until it feels exactly right. I make sure to go higher in the back and angle the tabs down over the front, with the bottom tabs resting snugly straight across my hips. Not sure how you are taping your diapers, but that could be a factor. Also, if you are flooding them, try a stop-and-go method.

Often when I am at work, my bladder does not empty when I am engaged in an activity or walking around. What ends up happening is that I do not get the feeling I have to urinate, until I am urinating. Usually this happens when I go to sit down. Not sure why, but whenever I sit down at work, it is like wake-up time for my bladder. So, I end up urinating quite a bit sitting down, and what I have been able to do is stop the flow for a second or two, to allow the urine to absorb, so that the diaper does not leak, then un-clench the muscles, clench, repeat until flow has stopped altogether. However, if I stand up, all is lost. It is easier to stop the flow when sitting down, rather than standing up, in my experience.

I'd have to say weight doesn't really have to do with it, its fit/shape and how much you're trying to make the diaper absorb.

I only weigh like 170 some pounds, however leaking varies based on what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing something too small ofc I'm going to leak all over the place even with just a small wetting. On the other hand one can have a perfectly well fitting diaper and if they wet it at a rate faster than the diaper can absorb you're going to leak that way too. It really depends on how well the diaper fits you and how much you're wetting. If the diaper absorbs faster than you're peeing and it fits well you should be fine, if you're still leaking I suggest trying diapers with other fits and absorbancy ratings. Weight really doesn't matter, if it did I wouldn't be able to get away with wearing easy ups rated for someone who weighs like what? 30 pounds at most? It's all about fit. As long as it fits comfortably and can absorb what you're putting out you're fine, if you're leaking it's most likely not your fault, more the diaper being crappy. (That or wearer error as in not wearing them properly but I doubt that's the issue here.)

I'd also suggest, if you're using diapers with multiple tapes, try taping them in a different order than you usually do, sometimes diapers with top and bottom tapes can be prone to leaking if they aren't "sealed" right. By that I mean if for some reason the way you're taping them on (Be it bottom tapes first or top first) is leaving a gap somewhere, usually that has to do with body shape from my experience, I can only wear multiple tape diapers when I tape the bottom ones first, if I do the top first they leak, so that's something to look into.

It's also worth noting where it's leaking from and the scenarios, if its leaking when you're laying down thats an entirely different story than if you're standing up, so on and so forth.

The shortened version of this is: There are many variables as to why you could be leaking, I suggest experimentation with various diapers and fits to determine why the leaks are happening in the first place. Because SCIENCE!

Edit*: And if it's just a matter of that you're peeing too much for the diapers I suggest booster pads, they can increase the amount of absorbancy of a diaper. Using too much baby powder (If you use it) Can also hinder the absorbancy of diapers I've found.

I'm roughly 6'3" and only weigh about 170 pounds which is slightly below average for someone my size but still a healthy weight and I still leak whether I wear adult diapers or baby diapers

Although it may not be that comfortable if you are really interested in stopping leaks, try getting some cloth tape and taping the waist and legs shut. It will also cut down on odor. I barely need to use a underpad at night because I so rarely leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back