Is anyone else here anti-google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Messages
166
Role
  1. Other
Hello, had a curious question if anyone here is anti-google and anti-microsoft and stuff.
I hate how youtube always tracks everything you do, same goes for microsoft windows etc.

I've been using AdGuard to try and alleviate all the tracking, but that just seems to not work that well at this point. I even combine them all up with Adguard and Privacy Badger, localCDN and ublock origin.

For a long time I just configure my browser to forget history on close and don't remember history. But I'm wondering if I just stay logged in on something like youtube atleast the spying will seem less invasive since I'm getting reccomends by being logged in.

Even blocking like all of the cookies doesn't work with youtube. I don't think I wanna VPN just because I want to use my connection at full speed.

Should I just switch to Ubuntu or Arch and just stick with one of those? I feel like I'd have the same issues with youtube (specifically) always tracking everything you do.
I threw arch on one of my PCs for a second, it took about a hour to install, but I always find myself bouncing between windows installs, whatever is mainstream. I do reinstalls a LOT just because oh I want my system configured this way or that way.

There's things that make me stick with windows, such as the games I have on steam I know will work. But these days I just don't use the PC outside of work much, usually just my laptop or whatever.

All the spying makes me paranoid, and youtube and google especially does it the most I feel like.


Completely unrelated but has anyone tried tryshift? That all in one productivity management thing. Its software like that that would make me want to stick to windows.

But there's then you got the problem with Amazon spying on everything you buy, look at one thing and its like forcing you to buy more. I hate literally ALL the time I'm trying to remove all that shit.

Should I keep trying to be so anti marketing and spying, or should I just get over myself and deal with it.
 

LePew

Staying dry in the city of rain
Est. Contributor
Messages
741
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Here's what I do - and I must first state that I don't like being tracked but I enjoy the services and conveniences that google offers.

I use google chrome and stay logged into it for my regular every-day stuff. For things I don't want to be tracked on (like anything diaper related, surprise gift shopping, that kind of stuff), I do the following:

I have Firefox installed and then installed the duckduckgo plugin (which is a tracker blocker and tracking-free search), and on top of that, run firefox in private browsing mode. I run firefox in provate browsing mode and created a shortcut so that firefox ONLY starts in private browsing mode, effectively making it a dedicate private browser for my private browsing needs. Yes, I'm in IT btw.


You could of course take it further by running a VPN and a VirtualMachine OS for privacy stuff. But you really don't need to take it THAT far to stop google and other advertisers from gathering your data and profiling/advertising to you. VPN and VirtualMachine would be to for example - prevent your Internet Service Provider from knowing where you've been or done online and eliminate the possibility of them handing that over to the government and to eliminate the writing of data to your drive in a way that could be easily viewed by undelete software. But.... you're not really doing anything THAT naughty are you? lol, jk! You have a right to privacy.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: BrokenMoon and Jonnythepony

BobbiSueEllen

A happy, soggy li'l toddler girl in DDs and PPs
Est. Contributor
Messages
5,889
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
I only use Google Earth...the rest, I avoid like the plague, as well as Facebook. Never joined Twitter, Instagram or TikTok...glad I never did. Hmmph! 😠
 
  • Like
Reactions: MetalDan86, Lightstreak2553, Richpip and 1 other person

Richpip

Est. Contributor
Messages
197
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
NASARoad said:
Hello, had a curious question if anyone here is anti-google and anti-microsoft and stuff.
I hate how youtube always tracks everything you do, same goes for microsoft windows etc.

I've been using AdGuard to try and alleviate all the tracking, but that just seems to not work that well at this point. I even combine them all up with Adguard and Privacy Badger, localCDN and ublock origin.

For a long time I just configure my browser to forget history on close and don't remember history. But I'm wondering if I just stay logged in on something like youtube atleast the spying will seem less invasive since I'm getting reccomends by being logged in.

Even blocking like all of the cookies doesn't work with youtube. I don't think I wanna VPN just because I want to use my connection at full speed.

Should I just switch to Ubuntu or Arch and just stick with one of those? I feel like I'd have the same issues with youtube (specifically) always tracking everything you do.
I threw arch on one of my PCs for a second, it took about a hour to install, but I always find myself bouncing between windows installs, whatever is mainstream. I do reinstalls a LOT just because oh I want my system configured this way or that way.

There's things that make me stick with windows, such as the games I have on steam I know will work. But these days I just don't use the PC outside of work much, usually just my laptop or whatever.

All the spying makes me paranoid, and youtube and google especially does it the most I feel like.


Completely unrelated but has anyone tried tryshift? That all in one productivity management thing. Its software like that that would make me want to stick to windows.

But there's then you got the problem with Amazon spying on everything you buy, look at one thing and its like forcing you to buy more. I hate literally ALL the time I'm trying to remove all that shit.

Should I keep trying to be so anti marketing and spying, or should I just get over myself and deal with it.
Certainly anti Google, they are just a bunch of liars only interested in your money. Never use anything Google i can avoid.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

LePew

Staying dry in the city of rain
Est. Contributor
Messages
741
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I mean…. You don’t have to be using google for them to be tracking you. There’s google trackers on adisc. My DuckDuckGo iOS browser and plugin on my pc is blocking google cookies right now on adisc.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: HappyCamper, rbm, Lightstreak2553 and 1 other person

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,102
Age
37
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I am personally very much anti-Google in that I despise their business practices, they have bought out many sites and then incorporated it into the portfolio and filled it with crap, or bought and shut down competitors, I don't like the tracking and spying that they do or the fact they never delete the info they gather. I hate how I can watch youtube on my pc fine with an adblocker but if I try to use it on the ps5 when it's on I have ads literally every 5 mins a lot of the time... I disagree with them on so many levels.

However I am also fully aware that the internet and all the glory it can bring would not be what it is without Google, They are pioneers in a way and do try to bring new things to the table and under one roof so it is easy to find. They perform a lot of research that increases the pace of technology as well as the accessibilty of devices and while the massive amount of advertising they produce is highly annoying it does help pay for many services that would otherwise require expensive subscription fees or higher prices for products and services, and at least with the data gathering they perform you generally get ads for things you might actually be interested in.

Some of the features they bring are also highly useful for instance I can bring up google maps on my phone pick a destination for directions and get accurate updates on bus/train services, times and changes so I don't spend ages waiting on a cold wet bus stop. up to date opening and closing times on every shop, store or service in my area, live traffic feeds etc.

They are a devil of a company but without them would we have as much as we currently do? better the devil you know and all that.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Thinking
Reactions: MetalDan86, BrokenMoon, Jonnythepony and 2 others

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,247
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
No
I understand when I use the services im tracked.
Same with government services
Id rather be able to use the services.

I know that sounds like I don't care
and I don't really. I use strong passwords but every company out there is gonna sell & use your data one way or an other
 
  • Like
Reactions: PichuCubJacob

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,102
Age
37
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
SparkyDog said:
and I don't really. I use strong passwords but every company out there is gonna sell & use your data one way or an other
Yep in this day and age we are both consumer and commodity.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: Jonnythepony, BobbiSueEllen and LePew

LePew

Staying dry in the city of rain
Est. Contributor
Messages
741
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Belarin said:
Yep in this day and age we are both consumer and commodity.
Exactly. You get it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maromi and BobbiSueEllen

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Messages
166
Role
  1. Other
Funny, the other day I started watching this reccomended video on youtube "making the smelliest substance known to man" and I went outside my apartment once I finished watching the chemistry video, and it smelled like someone had poured gallons of gasoline all over the apartment complex from the chemical plant nearby.

Not only was google basically spying on my area and giving me recommends, but its the third time the smells outside have been so toxic I couldn't go outside. And I don't even live that close to the plant.
Funny, hilarious the plant has been trying to poach me for a sysadmin job too- Absolutely not with that sort of toxicity in the neighborhood going on.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,102
Age
37
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Maromi said:
Funny, the other day I started watching this reccomended video on youtube "making the smelliest substance known to man" and I went outside my apartment once I finished watching the chemistry video, and it smelled like someone had poured gallons of gasoline all over the apartment complex from the chemical plant nearby.

Not only was google basically spying on my area and giving me recommends, but its the third time the smells outside have been so toxic I couldn't go outside. And I don't even live that close to the plant.
Funny, hilarious the plant has been trying to poach me for a sysadmin job too- Absolutely not with that sort of toxicity in the neighborhood going on.
I used to work in an industrial district and my warehouse was just across the road from the industrial incinerator, next door to a brewery, and about 200 yards from the sewage treatment plant, the combination of smells from those three was quite possibly the worst smell in the world, at the very least it is garanteed to be the worst smell I will ever encounter especially in middle of summer.

I live about 1.5 miles away and even then you can smell the sewage plant some days in the summer and there is a swathe of greenery, a motorway and many other buildings between us too move that air around or get in it's way.

*Edit*
funnily enough even with all that, the management at the company I worked for were still the most toxic thing in the area.
 
Last edited:

Hockeyczar

Est. Contributor
Messages
277
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Not a fan of Google or MS, billionaire owned, manipulating the masses all to claim the richest person in earth. Same could be said for all of the news outlets.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Saltedcaramel64

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,886
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’ve never been a fan of Gates and his organization and Alphabet Company and their Google division is every bit as bad. But I’m a Google hypocrite. In place of Google I use Duck Duck Go but I’m still using Gmail which I know makes my protest against Google lack integrity. Unfortunately I’m the same way in my dislike for Bezos and yet my house is usually full of empty Amazon boxes. It seems that I need to develop a backbone to add character to my protests!
 
  • Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

BobbiSueEllen

A happy, soggy li'l toddler girl in DDs and PPs
Est. Contributor
Messages
5,889
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
What irks me about all the corporate megalomania is how, for one example, Facebook can run recklessly over violations of federal law, then Zucky can fly his Barbie Jet to DC, show his pimply face & toddler hairdo at a Congressional hearing with cameras & flashbulbs going nonstop, utter some sculpted vitriol & platitudes to both Congress & the media, then accept blame and get fined...followed by smugly throwing millions at the clerk without missing it, knowing that his coffers are both overflowing and can handle more fines...then go right back to doing it all with no effect, if not with impunity.

Back before "Al Gore's Internet", the power players were the Big Three broadcasting networks, the Big Three automakers, Big Pharma; now it's the Big One social Media, the Big One retailer, the Big One information archive, the Big One media mogul...and, again, Big Pharma. If I overlooked any other Big Ones, perhaps you could remind me.

We are right back to The Days of the Gangster...this time, it's The Corporate Edition. Corporations are no longer the fronts...they are the whole entities, doing it their way with no tender regard for law or humanity whatsoever. Only laughter. Our indifference and/or unwillingness helped bring it about. "Bread & Circuses", Ian...you are right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zeke

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,886
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
BobbiSueEllen said:
What irks me about all the corporate megalomania is how, for one example, Facebook can run recklessly over violations of federal law, then Zucky can fly his Barbie Jet to DC, show his pimply face & toddler hairdo at a Congressional hearing with cameras & flashbulbs going nonstop, utter some sculpted vitriol & platitudes to both Congress & the media, then accept blame and get fined...followed by smugly throwing millions at the clerk without missing it, knowing that his coffers are both overflowing and can handle more fines...then go right back to doing it all with no effect, if not with impunity.

Back before "Al Gore's Internet", the power players were the Big Three broadcasting networks, the Big Three automakers, Big Pharma; now it's the Big One social Media, the Big One retailer, the Big One information archive, the Big One media mogul...and, again, Big Pharma. If I overlooked any other Big Ones, perhaps you could remind me.

We are right back to The Days of the Gangster...this time, it's The Corporate Edition. Corporations are no longer the fronts...they are the whole entities, doing it their way with no tender regard for law or humanity whatsoever. Only laughter. Our indifference and/or unwillingness helped bring it about. "Bread & Circuses", Ian...you are right.
BobbieSueEllen don’t forget Ma Bell. AT&T was one of the worst tyrants taking huge money from the American public. I’m sure that you remember when you had to go through the operator for a long distance call (in the days before direct dial). Making a long distance call was a big thing when I was a kid. The family would all gather around for their 15 seconds on the horn and dad would nearly suffer a stroke when the bill came. Do you remember waiting to make a long distance call until after 5:00 pm to get the evening rate or after 11:00 pm to get the night rate? How about party lines because a private line was too expensive? I remember when I got call waiting it was the next best thing to canned beer. And then there was star 69 to find out who had called you last before caller ID. Now my smart phone does most of that stuff and a whole lot more with unlimited talk, text, and data for $25 a month! Recent generations have no idea what is was like having to hang around waiting on a call or trying to get through and constantly getting a busy signal. When I first started talking to girls on the phone there were times when I thought my dad was seriously thinking of my imminent demise for tying up the line he also used for business. Thankfully Ma Bell was broken up into Baby Bells and then the cellular boom came and nothing’s been the same since.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

BobbiSueEllen

A happy, soggy li'l toddler girl in DDs and PPs
Est. Contributor
Messages
5,889
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
I do remember. As well as the expensive, mediocre service, the low-tech phones & stuff, etc. Now, the only way AT&T survives is buying out high-tech...they don't innovate, they don't invent. They assimilate. They aren't what they used to be but that's no big deal, because they never really were. 🤔
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zeke

DiaperedElmo

I ❤️ Sesame Street
Est. Contributor
Messages
260
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I'm not so anti-Google. I don't like their data policies, but I value the services they provide (Google search engine, Gmail etc.) for free*

*However, nothing in tech is free. You pay with your data in this case.

Facebook on the other hand... I don't have any nice things to say about them (n)
 
  • Like
Reactions: LePew and BobbiSueEllen

HappyCamper

Est. Contributor
Messages
83
Role
  1. Incontinent
Maromi said:
Hello, had a curious question if anyone here is anti-google and anti-microsoft and stuff.
I hate how youtube always tracks everything you do, same goes for microsoft windows etc.

I've been using AdGuard to try and alleviate all the tracking, but that just seems to not work that well at this point. I even combine them all up with Adguard and Privacy Badger, localCDN and ublock origin.

For a long time I just configure my browser to forget history on close and don't remember history. But I'm wondering if I just stay logged in on something like youtube atleast the spying will seem less invasive since I'm getting reccomends by being logged in.

Even blocking like all of the cookies doesn't work with youtube. I don't think I wanna VPN just because I want to use my connection at full speed.

Should I just switch to Ubuntu or Arch and just stick with one of those? I feel like I'd have the same issues with youtube (specifically) always tracking everything you do.
I threw arch on one of my PCs for a second, it took about a hour to install, but I always find myself bouncing between windows installs, whatever is mainstream. I do reinstalls a LOT just because oh I want my system configured this way or that way.

There's things that make me stick with windows, such as the games I have on steam I know will work. But these days I just don't use the PC outside of work much, usually just my laptop or whatever.

All the spying makes me paranoid, and youtube and google especially does it the most I feel like.


Completely unrelated but has anyone tried tryshift? That all in one productivity management thing. Its software like that that would make me want to stick to windows.

But there's then you got the problem with Amazon spying on everything you buy, look at one thing and its like forcing you to buy more. I hate literally ALL the time I'm trying to remove all that shit.

Should I keep trying to be so anti marketing and spying, or should I just get over myself and deal with it.
I'm anti google and microsoft and have been for better then 22yrs. I use "Linux Mint" which is a Debian / Ubuntu spur, I've used Mint sense 2000, I also use Firefox with a few tweeks like turning off the "geo" setting I also use "DuckDuckGo" with there own add blocker, they might use Googles search engine but don't collect your info, also use "Adblock Plus" and a "vpn", Oh I was also a tech for 24 yrs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LePew

Richpip

Est. Contributor
Messages
197
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
DiaperedElmo said:
I'm not so anti-Google. I don't like their data policies, but I value the services they provide (Google search engine, Gmail etc.) for free*

*However, nothing in tech is free. You pay with your data in this case.

Facebook on the other hand... I don't have any nice things to say about them (n)
The only 'service' Google provides is to track everything you do, steal your data and take your money.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HappyCamper

KitsuneFox

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Messages
2,903
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
No matter where you go on the internet, your information WILL be collected in some way. Even using a VPN, your personal data can still be harvested, and you can still be tracked.
In my opinion, it's pointless obsessing about it.

If you truly want an ( almost ) anonymous presence on the internet, find a browser such as TOR, completely disable Javascript, and use a good Garlic Network.
[ Note: you can still be tracked across different websites in some cases ]
 
Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Maromi and BobbiSueEllen
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top