Is abdl an unidentified mental disorder/illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressesforlife

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Is abdl an unidentified mental disorder?
Now let me start off by saying that i'm aware that beng an abdl is much more than an unidentified state of mind. Rather abdl(lism/ism) is a poorly researched area of common and uncommon culture.

With that that being said; do you think that being an abdl (regardless of the current label by which it is currently a fetish) qualifies you towards being diagnosed as mentally ill?

Follow up question (only answer if the question applies to you)

(•Assuming that you seeked advice from a Psychologist in relation towards being abdl. Was the conversation negative or positive (optional and how has it affected your life since then)?)

Things to consider:

•Is the amount of research to blame for societys perception on abdls

•if abdl is a mental disorder/illness will i get help?

•if its not mental disorder/illness will abdls start appearing everywhere?

•what happened in my life that allowed me to become an abdl in comparison to those who aren't abdls? (Optional to read: Keep in mind that just because someone is an abdl doesn't mean theres anything wrong with you; it just means that (I.M.O) that you live a much more relaxing/erotic lifestyle (i say relaxing because not everyone is engaged in the sexual background that abdl has to offer; for example some people enage in abdl just for the comfort of the attire or the feeling of youth and comfort granted by the attire (itself) and In most/some cases the age regression role play ( done for both sexual and emotional pleasure(without the need of sexual release)) involved adds to the feeling of associated youth while wearing your desired abdl clothing (assuming you need clothing for you sexual/emotional release; not here to judge)

•is abdl a form of self therapy that allows one to cope with the everyday stress of life?

• is abdl a heavily misunderstood activity?

•Am I mentally damaged at all?

•Does it affect my ability to mentally function in day to day life?

•objectively speaking what makes you comfortable being an abdl in comparison to who you were before you were an abdl or arleast before you started acknowledging your abdl side?

Last edited:

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
No, it is not a disorder. You can vary from the norm without being damaged.

ESPF

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Dear Depressesforlife,
I don't believe either AB nor DL qualifies as a "mental disorder.
In the case of DLs it MAY or my not qualify as a FETISH at the most. But I don't believe the introduction of objects into sex play is a mental illness. (Not unless you're going to call every woman with a vibrator mentally ill? And what about the men that enjoy a blowup sex doll?)
As for the AB side of this discussion... Recall your psychology 101... And the three elements of the human personality. The Ego, Super ego, and the Id. Or the Adult, the parent, and the child.
In MOST cases that "child" element of a personality is somewhere between 5and 7. But not always. In some people that inner child can be a lot younger.
And if letting your inner child out is a mental illness then Trump is one sick dastard.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Hi Trevor - I would say yes and no... It depends on the person and the way how he/she deals with it. As long as it causes no problems to the person (or others) it's not a disorder and every thing is fine. How ever if the fetich starts to hinder the person to live a normal live there might be in indication. That why there is an ICD code for it. You may read more about this here:

https://icd.codes/icd10cm/F650

Drifter

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If it's a mental disorder then being a heterosexual or a homosexual would also be mental disorders since all three have the same root cause. Any of the three can cause serious mental stress if an individual cannot accept having, or acting on, these desires. Even heterosexuality can be problematic for those who believe the only righteous life is a celibate life. People who can't settle the conflict between their own, natural, social instincts and beliefs, and their equally natural desires, will have a problem with self acceptance, which, to me, is a mental disorder; one that many of us here have experienced to some degree.

As I see it, ABDL desires are not a mental disorder and they do not magically become mental disorders if they interfere with your social life. Having relatively rare desires that are maligned by society is not a mental disorder; it's a social disorder.

mickdl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I think you catched the point. How ever in the end it matters little if - or what kind of disorder it is. The Point is - if someone have a _real_ problem with his/her sexual desire professional help may needed. Talking about "professional help" means talking about classification because that how professional help works - at last in the western part of the world.
This have nowadays luckily(hopfully) nothing to do with stigmatisation and I'm pretty sure that F65.0 might be revised in the future as well as other classification where revised in the past. But I'm also sure that sexual disorders may became very dangerous if they are not controlled and end up in violance against children and others. So it's some kind of a tightrope walk to find definition that on one hand does not violate the rights of a person or a comunity and on the other hand give those help who really need them. Unfortunately theses dark sides have also the same root cause as you mentioned and exactly this is what makes the discussion and the lobbing for our community so difficult (at last from an outside position). From that point of view I'm pretty happy with the F65.0 because it makes at last a clear separation here.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
It's in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Psychiatric Diseases, so, to white coats, everything is a disease. I do understand the spirit of your question, though, and, in that spirit, I say, "no," but if one has another diagnosis, particularly a developmental, "something," be on the lookout for this. It's nothing to be afraid will happen, just something to be aware might happen. Disabled life is tough. Shoot, life is tough, but, disabled life is tough in a way that's difficult for others to understand.

N

NeverKnow

do you think that being an abdl (regardless of the current label by which it is currently a fetish) qualifies you towards being diagnosed as mentally ill?
The intuitive definition people tend to have of 'mental disorder' and 'mental illness' is 'something that has gone wrong with your mind'. But the clinical definition has to do with whether it causes distress, impedes the otherwise normal functioning of your life, etc. In that sense, no, it is not (or need not be) a mental disorder.

The clinical definition of a mental disorder is not a scientific concept but a moral or ethical one. The psychological community has decided only to call those conditions mental disorders whose bearers want to be rid of them.

But in the first sense, yeah, ABDL is probably not what nature intended.

The primary problem is that there's no good way to gather high quality data about ABDLs. Good social scientific research involves sampling large, randomly selected populations over time. There are not many ABDLs, so you'd have to survey a huge amount of people to get a decent dataset. It would be expensive to do that, unless you just added questions about ABDLs to one of the existing large population-based surveys. But again there aren't many ABDLs, and you can't justify doing that for every paraphilia/fetish/whatever.

Information from surveys posted to online ABDL forums, or from ABDLs who present themselves for therapy, wouldn't tell you much of anything about ABDLs as such. It would tell you about ABDLs who like to talk about diapers online and ABDLs who find it helpful to seek therapy. And it will only tell you about ABDLs who are willing to disclose that they are ABDLs. The information you find on (say) BitterGrey's website is interesting but can't be used to justify general claims about ABDLs.

If you have a problem with it, a therapist could help you. It wouldn't involve removing ABDL desires but rather figuring out how to live with them (whether that means figuring how to act on them or how not to).

No.

•what happened in my life that allowed me to become an abdl in comparison to those who aren't abdls?
If anything is certain, then it is that there is no single explanation of why people are ABDLs. It could be any number of things. Difficult relationship with parents, jealousy of a younger sibling, early sexual experience during a diaper change, an especially embarrassing bedwetting incident, onset of incontinence in adulthood, growing to enjoy it after being introduced in an adult sexual relationship, etc...

ABDLs have a variety of desires, sexual and non-sexual, which arise at various points in their lives. It's an umbrella term. There is no single thing the origin of which could be explained.

•is abdl a form of self therapy that allows one to cope with the everyday stress of life?
It need not be.

I don't think it's widely enough known about to be heavily misunderstood. The handful of people I've told have all thought it was weird but didn't think it was a big deal. Most asked questions about pedophilia and immediately accepted my answers.

It depends what you mean by "mentally damaged."

For a lot of ABDLs, self-acceptance is the gold standard and is achieved through one's coming to abandon terms like "mental disorder" etc. I don't really have a problem with thinking that I'm an ABDL because something went wrong and it would be better for me not to be an ABDL. I mean, that's kind of the truth. It's not that bad but it's also not much good.

It really depends on you. Some ABDLs do have problems in their day to day life, in some cases caused by being ABDL, but most don't.

•objectively speaking what makes you comfortable being an abdl in comparison to who you were before you were an abdl or arleast before you started acknowledging your abdl side?
I view it instrumentally. A weird thing is true about me: if I don't occasionally wear diapers, then I occasionally get distracted and distressed. So occasionally I wear diapers.

LittleSissieJolie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Little, Incontinent
auto-nepiophilic is sometimes used as a description in forensic psychology if the defendant is both convicted of a sex offense and the defendant has a diaper fetish.

SparkleBunny

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
No, ABDL* is not a mental illness or disorder. A mental illness is a disorder that affects your mood, way of thinking, and behavior in an unhealthy way (plus it's undesirable). ABDL* on the other hand, like any other fetish, kink, or lifestyle, doesn't usually do that and it's desirable to the person. However, there are circumstances when a person may not feel comfortable or feel like they aren't in control of their own fetish or kink. In this case, a person should get help from a doctor since they are very concerned about it. But even then it may not be able to be considered a mental illness, because the person just needs to learn to control their urges better or learn more about it. In my case I do not think me being this way is an illness. More importantly I am mentally younger so having it as a lifestyle is much more helpful than harmful, since I could get to be myself and have fun while being an adult (plus happy). But no, I do not think ABDL*s will just pop up anywhere and everywhere, simply because 1. it's bad to just jump into things and 2. it's not everyone's thing per say. It's very hard to say what could've happened in your life to cause you to be ABDL* as there are many possibilities. But I know I've read somewhere that when it comes to fetishes and kinks, it could link back to your childhood. Or you could've just developed it. Not sure if it could be self therapy but it's definitely a way to escape from reality and the adult life for quite a while. Guess you could say it's also a coping mechanism for some people. ABDL* is sometimes a misunderstood activity, since some people think it's representing pedophilia and/or incest, but it isn't. Usually if it is interfering your life and affecting your ability to live a life, you should probably see a doctor about that. Not really sure on the last question though, since all I wanted to do in my life is play with toys, dress cutely, etc. all while I was growing up. I guess I could say it's just "natural" or "in my nature" at this point.

ThePenguinLover

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Is abdl an unidentified mental disorder?
Now let me start off by saying that i'm aware that beng an abdl is much more than an unidentified state of mind. Rather abdl(lism/ism) is a poorly researched area of common and uncommon culture.

With that that being said; do you think that being an abdl (regardless of the current label by which it is currently a fetish) qualifies you towards being diagnosed as mentally ill?

Follow up question (only answer if the question applies to you)

(•Assuming that you seeked advice from a Psychologist in relation towards being abdl. Was the conversation negative or positive (optional and how has it affected your life since then)?)

Things to consider:

•what happened in my life that allowed me to become an abdl in comparison to those who aren't abdls? (Optional to read: Keep in mind that just because someone is an abdl doesn't mean theres anything wrong with you; it just means that (I.M.O) that you live a much more relaxing/erotic lifestyle (i say relaxing because not everyone is engaged in the sexual background that abdl has to offer; for example some people enage in abdl just for the comfort of the attire or the feeling of youth and comfort granted by the attire (itself) and In most/some cases the age regression role play ( done for both sexual and emotional pleasure(without the need of sexual release)) involved adds to the feeling of associated youth while wearing your desired abdl clothing (assuming you need clothing for you sexual/emotional release; not here to judge)

It was ID'D as a mental illness for a decent amount of time before it was finally taken off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.