iOS Crinkles App with NFC Tag Automation

blaincorrous

All Puns Intended
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The developer of Crinkles was kind enough to include Shortcut triggers in his app, with enumeration of all the diapers in the cabinet.

I’ve been playing with iOS Shortcuts and finally discovered the NFC scan for triggering procedures.

So, I’ve ordered a few NFC tags to play with and plan to fully digitize my diaper collection checkout process.

I can have different tags on my diaper storage bins for each type of diaper and scan the tag of the diaper I’m changing into.

At the same time, I can put a tag on my diaper pails and scan for removal into a not-wearing state. (Frankly, sounds like a waste of a tag, but I’ve got to wear normal underwear sometimes.)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: BigTykes, Dial, Beowulf and 4 others
Wow 🤩

Nice!!

Please let us know how it works

diapernh said:
Please let us know how it works
I will be happy to share my completed and feature-rich project for your review... once it is completed and feature-rich.

Ive never heard of the crinkles app before

blaincorrous said:
The developer of Crinkles was kind enough to include Shortcut triggers in his app, with enumeration of all the diapers in the cabinet.

I’ve been playing with iOS Shortcuts and finally discovered the NFC scan for triggering procedures.

So, I’ve ordered a few NFC tags to play with and plan to fully digitize my diaper collection checkout process.

I can have different tags on my diaper storage bins for each type of diaper and scan the tag of the diaper I’m changing into.

At the same time, I can put a tag on my diaper pails and scan for removal into a not-wearing state. (Frankly, sounds like a waste of a tag, but I’ve got to wear normal underwear sometimes.)
OMG Wow, a lot of info!

richieboy said:
OMG Wow, a lot of info!
That’s nothing compared to the full-guide blog post I’m rolling up as we speak. I have some wonderful details to share, including the actual shortcut files that anyone can load on their device and run. I’m going to make this as easy as possible for anyone to implement for their stash.

I found an easy way to write to the actual tag using iOS and I found specific physical components that work together brilliantly. That lets me simplify some of the features I’m building into these workflows. I still have some testing around a few functions to complete, but I’m hoping to open my method to anyone who wants to use it.

Reactions: TigerDL and frostypuppy
blaincorrous said:
That’s nothing compared to the full-guide blog post I’m rolling up as we speak. I have some wonderful details to share, including the actual shortcut files that anyone can load on their device and run. I’m going to make this as easy as possible for anyone to implement for their stash.

I found an easy way to write to the actual tag using iOS and I found specific physical components that work together brilliantly. That lets me simplify some of the features I’m building into these workflows. I still have some testing around a few functions to complete, but I’m hoping to open my method to anyone who wants to use it.
Do you have this on github? Would love to play around with something like this :)

dlSwimmer said:
Do you have this on github? Would love to play around with something like this :)
Nothing so organized. I’m just using the visual coding in the iOS Shortcuts app.

Unfortunately, I seem to be hitting a block. I thought it would be easy to pass text into Crinkles and have it recognize the change, but they used a special object they define as a “Change”. I can’t seem to create or recreate the object without having an existing change first, and I can’t store the Change object on the NFC tag or retrieve it as anything but text and there’s no conversion from a text to a Change, so there’s no point in refactoring.

So, my method will largely be setting an Automation to run when it recognizes a particular tag. Kinda depressing because I was coming up with some elegant tricks.

Watching... very interested! Keep up the good work!

For those with interest, I have a workable solution I'm using currently, but I'd like to build on it to provide a more robust solution that includes intake as well. I'll start rolling up my beta solution and explaining the methodology in a blog post, but I'm working on a version that uses a Google Sheet as a database, working in tandem with Shortcuts to provide the NFC scanning and data exchange. It will have modes for incoming and outgoing stock, much like Crinkles. I do want to test to make sure the Sheets-based solution is as usable as Crinkles before I roll that one out.

Reactions: dlSwimmer
blaincorrous said:

I played with NFC tags but worked out after a while that QR codes are more convenient because all they need is paper.

star said:
I played with NFC tags but worked out after a while that QR codes are more convenient because all they need is paper.
Eh. Not that I have anything against QR codes, but they wouldn’t help with the blocks I’m encountering. I can’t use the contents of an NFC tag or a QR code to tell Crinkles the diaper being used for the change.

Back