phillybaby22

Professional Boo-Boo Fixer!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
As Some of you on the board may know, I have Autism. So I can’t help but laugh at these attack ads, especially as a medical professional:
0479834A-E8C1-4AE5-9374-10A1637413EE.jpeg

While it is true that Tylenol has some minor links to Autism Spectrum Disorder, it’s intresting how these ads paint Autism as “Life Threatening”. What do you think?

• Sad
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, KittyninjaW, RetroGirl15 and 1 other person

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and dogboy

TwoOfBraves

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I kind of love these kinds of fear-mongering ads/campaigns in an ironic way. As awful as they are, they always crack me up… Guess it’s time to start calling acetaminophen “autism pills” :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I’m honestly surprised how tv has changed and allowed that possibility of misleading information. It’s pretty much defamation towards a specific company?
The freedom to choose what risks you take in life is mostly your own responsibility in this case. If it’s treating the symptoms and worth the risk because you don’t have a cure for the cause thats fair if you choose to use something with advertised risk.
I’m glad there’s nothing I’ve really missed on tv not watching it for over 12 years 😹

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
My cousin is all over this right now
She thinks moms taking Tylenol while pregnant causes autism
I don't have the energy anymore to explain things to her.

• Sad
Reactions: Angelapinks and BobbiSueEllen

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
The flip side of the coin is responsibility of being pregnant and that’s a whole different issue; which is entirely dependent upon how that person value’s life.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and KittyninjaW

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Tylenol is a big company so I wouldn't be surprised if they followed up with a lawsuit. When one makes a statement like that they better be able to prove it in a court of law.

Reactions: IcyBlue, Angelapinks, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
dogboy said:
Tylenol is a big company so I wouldn't be surprised if they followed up with a lawsuit. When one makes a statement like that they better be able to prove it in a court of law.
Agreed they should
how can people even logically think that
autism would be so much more prevalent

BobbiSueEllen

A happy, soggy li'l toddler girl in DDs and PPs
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
They're also attacking baby food for 'high levels of toxic metals causing autism'. They tried fearmongering with vaccinations, remember? That petered out, now they're farming out 'cases' to amateur lawyers for the value of sheer numbers to corner and make 'big industry' cower to a settlement.

The Tylenol/autism 'study' pioneered in Finland has been both questioned and rejected by the British NHS. The vaccination connection is total bullshit and so are both the Tylenol and baby food connections. I'm pretty sure the lawyer-hacks are all convinced that the percentage of autism in any given populace has increased exponentially because of 'the increasing numbers'; little do they know that autism has always been here and only now is it not only getting noticed and not only are kids getting diagnosed...but so are adults. And of course the numbers are going to increase; only in the past decade have they been diagnosing adults, whose numbers are being added to the overall stats! Had they started doing diagnoses 50 years ago, it wouldn't be a dilemma at all now. The percentages would be stabilized by now. American lawyers are unscrupulous, ambulance-chasing shysters; always have been, always will be. We need them about as much as we need 'Autism Speaks'.

Reactions: TwoOfBraves, Angelapinks and SparkyDog

Mickey

Waddling Mouse w/ASD
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I see those ads everywhere now. I don't really believe it. Mine is genetic for sure.

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
BobbiSueEllen said:
They're also attacking baby food for 'high levels of toxic metals causing autism'. They tried fearmongering with vaccinations, remember? That petered out, now they're farming out 'cases' to amateur lawyers for the value of sheer numbers to corner and make 'big industry' cower to a settlement.

The Tylenol/autism 'study' pioneered in Finland has been both questioned and rejected by the British NHS. The vaccination connection is total bullshit and so are both the Tylenol and baby food connections. I'm pretty sure the lawyer-hacks are all convinced that the percentage of autism in any given populace has increased exponentially because of 'the increasing numbers'; little do they know that autism has always been here and only now is it not only getting noticed and not only are kids getting diagnosed...but so are adults. And of course the numbers are going to increase; only in the past decade have they been diagnosing adults, whose numbers are being added to the overall stats! Had they started doing diagnoses 50 years ago, it wouldn't be a dilemma at all now. The percentages would be stabilized by now. American lawyers are unscrupulous, ambulance-chasing shysters; always have been, always will be. We need them about as much as we need 'Autism Speaks'.
I totally forgot about autism speaks
I used to do those fundraisers untill I learnt where the money was going

Mickey

Waddling Mouse w/ASD
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I'm lost on the Autism Speaks thing, I notice a number of bad comments about it. I don't really engage in any of that so I am unware of what might be the issue.

• Thinking

BobbiSueEllen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
Mickey said:
I'm lost on the Autism Speaks thing, I notice a number of bad comments about it. I don't really engage in any of that so I am unaware of what might be the issue.
Autism Speaks was started one year after founders Bob & Suzanne Wright's grandson was diagnosed with autism. Bob was vice-president of General Electric and involved with their NBC subsidiary; Suzanne (now deceased) was an executive housewife, I believe. With a $25 million starting donation given by The Home Depot, AS got off the ground. AS quickly absorbed two American and one Canadian autism advocacy groups into the foundation.

Over time, with Autism Speaks openly stating their goal was to find a 'cure', they ran into various PR scandals, such as calling autism a 'disease', exploiting families with autistic children for PR, aggravating their board of directors (the vast majority of them being doctors & scientists in the field, appointed honorarily) to the point of multiple resignations, at one time also budgeting part of their funds towards the autism/vaccine 'connection' studies...AS has essentially become a trendy, country-club-style fundraising entity with little knowledge...and thus no true advocacy. They also spend much less towards furthering their mission than other autism advocacy groups, especially with lavish 6-digit salaries to AS executives...as well as outlandish quarter-million-dollar moving allowances for them. The only thing that seems to matter to AS' mission is overwhelming media presence. By way of comparison, other, more-able, more-aggressive and more-purposeful autism advocates are vastly overshadowed by AS' mediocre presence.

IMHO, Autism Speaks is like Maris Crane in a puzzle-piece t-shirt. Money, hobnobbing for money, wasting money, mindlessly prattling about what little they really know about autism. Real, genuine, effective autism advocates simply cannot stand out on their own merits because of AS' dominant 'look at me!' attitude. With an 'advocate' like AS, who needs opponents? There are many reasons, including those given, why the saying "Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me" exists. Just my .0000012 Bitcoin.

Reactions: TwoOfBraves, IcyBlue and Angelapinks

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
BobbiSueEllen said:
Autism Speaks was started one year after founders Bob & Suzanne Wright's grandson was diagnosed with autism. Bob was vice-president of General Electric and involved with their NBC subsidiary; Suzanne (now deceased) was an executive housewife, I believe. With a $25 million starting donation given by The Home Depot, AS got off the ground. AS quickly absorbed two American and one Canadian autism advocacy groups into the foundation.

Over time, with Autism Speaks openly stating their goal was to find a 'cure', they ran into various PR scandals, such as calling autism a 'disease', exploiting families with autistic children for PR, aggravating their board of directors (the vast majority of them being doctors & scientists in the field, appointed honorarily) to the point of multiple resignations, at one time also budgeting part of their funds towards the autism/vaccine 'connection' studies...AS has essentially become a trendy, country-club-style fundraising entity with little knowledge...and thus no true advocacy. They also spend much less towards furthering their mission than other autism advocacy groups, especially with lavish 6-digit salaries to AS executives...as well as outlandish quarter-million-dollar moving allowances for them. The only thing that seems to matter to AS' mission is overwhelming media presence. By way of comparison, other, more-able, more-aggressive and more-purposeful autism advocates are vastly overshadowed by AS' mediocre presence.

IMHO, Autism Speaks is like Maris Crane in a puzzle-piece t-shirt. Money, hobnobbing for money, wasting money, mindlessly prattling about what little they really know about autism. Real, genuine, effective autism advocates simply cannot stand out on their own merits because of AS' dominant 'look at me!' attitude. With an 'advocate' like AS, who needs opponents? There are many reasons, including those given, why the saying "Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me" exists. Just my .0000012 Bitcoin.
I found they just became about Autism awareness and nothing else

it's about the PR for the top people
always talking but saying nothing

TwoOfBraves

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
BobbiSueEllen said:

Haha, you beat me to typing this! Only one thing to add, which is that if you really want to see how horrible an organization they are they made a PR video called I Am Autism a few years back that’s just absolutely horrifying. Massive trigger warning on that one, though, if you’re autistic- it’s pretty upsetting.

I suppose it should go unsaid, but for the allistics in the group, the problem with fearmongering “X causes autism!!1!” campaigns is that they treat autism like it’s a horrible tragedy or a disease, when it’s not. Like… is it inconvenient at times? Yes, but honestly most of the problems autistic people face are from a lack of understanding & acceptance, not because we’re “broken”.

Whether or not Tylenol or vaccines or whatever cause autism (which they don’t) isn’t really the point, it’s more that it continues to propagate negative stigma against autistics.

BobbiSueEllen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Other
TwoOfBraves said:
Haha, you beat me to typing this! Only one thing to add, which is that if you really want to see how horrible an organization they are they made a PR video called I Am Autism a few years back that’s just absolutely horrifying. Massive trigger warning on that one, though, if you’re autistic- it’s pretty upsetting.
Bammo! You beat me to the punch there...you just added what I overlooked. Yeah, I heard I Am Autism is bad. That alone caused a lot of stir within the AS board.

Reactions: phillybaby22

phillybaby22

Professional Boo-Boo Fixer!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
BobbiSueEllen said:
Bammo! You beat me to the punch there...you just added what I overlooked. Yeah, I heard I Am Autism is bad. That alone caused a lot of stir within the AS board.
i remember the first time i watched i am autism. someone i though was my friend tricked me into thinking it would help my speech impediment. i cried for about 15 min straight.

• Sad
Reactions: IcyBlue and BobbiSueEllen

TwoOfBraves

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
phillybaby22 said:
i remember the first time i watched i am autism. someone i though was my friend tricked me into thinking it would help my speech impediment. i cried for about 15 min straight.
I’m so sorry, that like… gives me secondhand anger for you, holy shit. I hope you were able to cut that person out of your life :(

Reactions: IcyBlue, BobbiSueEllen and phillybaby22
Status
Not open for further replies.