Insurance/etc. for incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
I was just wondering what ways there was to minimize the cost of diapers, whether through insurance or medical discounts. I'm actually going to the doctor about it, and it doesn't look good. This goes back several months if some of you remember, but it isn't leaving and I think I'm somewhat permanently incontinent now...:sad:....But if I can, I want to see how I can compensate. Sure I don't mind wearing diapers...But they are expensive...I've been using cloth, but the initial purchases seem to cost a lot for those, so either way... Any ideas on what ways I can bring the cost down, and how (referring to like insurance-wise, etc.)?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I was just wondering what ways there was to minimize the cost of diapers, whether through insurance or medical discounts. I'm actually going to the doctor about it, and it doesn't look good. This goes back several months if some of you remember, but it isn't leaving and I think I'm somewhat permanently incontinent now...:sad:....But if I can, I want to see how I can compensate. Sure I don't mind wearing diapers...But they are expensive...I've been using cloth, but the initial purchases seem to cost a lot for those, so either way... Any ideas on what ways I can bring the cost down, and how (referring to like insurance-wise, etc.)?
I think you can get like a Medicare type thing

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
I think you can get like a Medicare type thing
I have medical benefits, but like I don't know if it's covered...And how do you ask that indirectly.

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I was wondering about this also.
but most insurences except maybe medicare don't cover incontinent supplies
and I think you have a doctors perscription for them.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
If you are declared medically incontinent by your physician then he can write you a perscription for incontinence supplies... this would then be covered under your insurance.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Is it the same here in Canada? I was looking into things and the only thing I saw that related to it was a tax write-off form and another one for disability benefits.

I found something where they give grants from my province to people who have children 3-18 years old and are medically incontinent, but I don't know if I could apply for myself or it has to be for "dependents", or because I'm 18 right now and on the border. Even to get a partial year of the benefits would help because they give like $900/year.

Role
Incontinent
My parents get insurance through the hospital, and I am covered under their insurance until I turn 21, even though I don't live with them anymore.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
My parents get insurance through the hospital, and I am covered under their insurance until I turn 21, even though I don't live with them anymore.
I have my own benefits package...although it's a bit meager, it's all I have, but it is something at least.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Kat... I believe your first step should be getting a medical incontinence diagnosis from your doctor... then go from there.

NovaSurf

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I live in Canada and I'm covered under the national Medicare, have to file all the recipeits and stuff, but it does not cost me anything.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Kat... I believe your first step should be getting a medical incontinence diagnosis from your doctor... then go from there.
I'm already scheduled. That's actually just what made me think of this in the first place.

I live in Canada and I'm covered under the national Medicare, have to file all the recipeits and stuff, but it does not cost me anything.
Oh, is that like income tax or what?

Role
Diaper Lover
How does one declare that you are? Would he just ask if you were and then declare it?

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
How does one declare that you are? Would he just ask if you were and then declare it?
They do tests... lots and lots of (painful) tests. X-rays... capacity tests where they fill your bladder up with fluid through a catheter... etc. Kat is not in for a plesant time... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Edit: I found a rather lengthy description of medical incontinence testing on WebMD. I'll provide the link b/c it is a lot of text.

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/mens-guide/urinary-incontinence-in-men-exams-and-tests

Note that these procedures are for males but I imagine that tests for females would be much the same.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
They do tests... lots and lots of (painful) tests. X-rays... capacity tests where they fill your bladder up with fluid through a catheter... etc. Kat is not in for a plesant time... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Edit: I found a rather lengthy description of medical incontinence testing on WebMD. I'll provide the link b/c it is a lot of text.

Urinary Incontinence in Men: Testing - WebMD

Note that these procedures are for males but I imagine that tests for females would be much the same.
:eek: ... :sad: ...Wow. I remember some tests from when I was 9 when they took me to the doctor to see why I was going so frequently, so I knew they wouldn't be fun. It's going to bring back bad memories.

S

sociologygeek

Kat..im in the same boat..i have to get urodynamicks testing on the 14th of aug..

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Post us what happens in case we get incon'ed.
Yeah, I will. It won't be until September though...So you have a good wait for now...If I don't update for a while, that's why. The first doctor took the info. - the second will actually do the tests etc.

And I would only consider myself moderately incontinent...As I've said before, I'm not completely incontinent...I just don't feel when I have to go a lot of the time...and it ends up "leaking" because of it...:rolleyes: :sad: :shrug:

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Private
Aside from Insurance, i wonder if i can at least write them off as a medical expense, considering i spend about $2K a year on them

Status
Not open for further replies.