initial care of new cloth diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straycatz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I recently purchased cloth diapers from baby pants. After years of only using disposables I thought I would give these a try for something different. My question is, what is the best method to wash/dry these initially in the washer/dryer? Is line drying better than a dryer, at least at first? I have the birdseye cotton pre-fold.

Thanks!

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Yes, you'll want to wash them first. I use the regular cotton setting on the washing machine. Never use bleach or fabric softener on them. Bleach will ruin them and fabric softener clogs the pores. They'll take quite a bit of dryer time. Line drying them outside is even better because the sun will naturally bleach them without harming the fabric.

I use Arm & Hammer detergent with oxi clean. It works well and the smell is nice, sort of nursery smelling.

oleman72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
It's also the best to wash them 2 to 3 times before use. This gets the natural oils out of the cotton material. That will help
them get to full absorbency. I agree with what Dogboy said. Hope you enjoy them. I've been using mine now 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.