Increased boarder protections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Americans seem to be getting increasingly nervous about their neighbours to the north. For the longest times, the USA and Canada have shared the longest unguarded boarder in the world. The times are changing though.

Although still unguarded, Americans seem to be getting wary about evil Canadian terrorists sneaking into their country and causing all kinds of havok. Heck, Canadians burned down the White House once, but the two countries have been allies since.

As of June 2009, any Canadian wishing to cross the boarder into the US will have to have a valid passport. For the longest time all you need to get across both ways was a birth certificate.

Earlier this year, Canadian boarder guards were officialy armed with handguns. The American boarder guards were already armed. This arming of the guards caused a lot of boarder guards to quit, or at least question their job. Canadians don't like guns.

A new thing I found out is a recent law put into place where American boarder guards are allowed to seize laptops, iPods, or any electronic device on any person at the boarder without giving a reason or warning. They can hold it for as long as they want in order to search for incriminating evidence. This is to protect the citizens of their country from terrorism.

Don't really know what they expect to find. This all seems to be hurting the relationship between the two countries.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh...The Canadian/US border...I thought this was going to be about the US/Mexican border...I've never heard any of this controversy with Canada and the border >.>

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
yuppers i agree with pojo its always about the mexican border what with the wall they want to build and a moat and whatnot
ive never heard of controvery with US/Canada border

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I know, that's what it would seem like. But it's those pesky Canadians who are, er, sneaking into your country in order to buy gas and milk at lower prices.

Oh no.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I know, that's what it would seem like. But it's those pesky Canadians who are, er, sneaking into your country in order to buy gas and milk at lower prices.

Oh no.
Yeah but they have better health care...

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
Although still unguarded, Americans seem to be getting wary about evil Canadian terrorists sneaking into their country and causing all kinds of havok. Heck, Canadians burned down the White House once" Quote from Prometheis--

Um, were not worried about Canadian Terrorists. We are worried about Terroists in general crossing over the Canadian Border. And I wasn't aware Canadians burned down the White House. Where did you get this information from?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
It's sick and wrong.

Although actually I assumed that to go across the boarder you needed a passport, so I'm more shocked that that isn't the case than I am that it soon will be the case.

I hate all the terrorism crap, I cared at one point but now things have gone way too far. I'd rather have another major terrorist attack happen than have all these restrictions. Stuff like the British ID cards, the stuff you have to do when flying to America, this thread... Each individual thing isn't that bad, but there's so much worry about terrorists and there's so many little sacrifices that have to made because of it. In my mind, we are just letting them win. Terrorism is more about spreading fear than killing people...

**** terrorists, I couldn't care less. The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are so low compared to other stuff. I wish my country would put more effort (and money!) into sorting out our actual problems, rather than waste it on terrorist crap.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
Its seems to be a bit of satire.. I have never heard of this. I actually think the US stepping up any border security is to keep Americans in. So they can be drafted and fight for bush.

Little ollie

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I'd love increased border control in England as at the moment its ****ing stupid as anyone from the EU can come in **** they could have a huge criminal record list and we'd let them in as we have no choice. Also I think the borders should be similar to Australia were your not coming in unless you have something we need skill wise as at the moment its just stupid.

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well I have to say, that Canada is also pretty strict about who they let in. Don't even try to go to Canada with any type of Gross misdemeanor on your record, that happens to be a felony in Canada. You will be held for further investigation, after that they MIGHT let you in. Felony on your record? Forget it, ain't gonna happen. Then if you are stupid enough to lie about your past and they catch you, you are permanently banned from entry.

Role
Diaper Lover
I thought, all or close to all the terrorists who were involved in 9/11 came from Canada, not born there, but came there then to the US. A birth certificate where both sides verify it and verify the date and place of birth to prevent forgery. No need for passports IMO.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We need better border security period! A good start would by finishing the fence on our border with Mexico. A closer scrutiny of those entering and residing in our county with expired visas. And by all means let our Security Agencies(CIA ,FBI ,NSA) communicate together. And allow them to do there job no matter what. Its worked out pretty good for the last 7 years. But it took the events of 9-11(my birthday)to get us where we are today.:twocents:

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Securing the boarder between Canada and the US is a waste of money. Canda has been a good neighbor for hundreds of years. Canada is also not the most criminal friendly country. The Mexican/US boarder is more problematic at this time. Before we worry too much about who is entering from Canada, we should take care of the problems that already are here. The passport requirement surprised me, but is not too bad.

Currently, the US government uses terrorism to cause fear in the American public to justify restricting freedom, massive spending, and larger government oversight of public activities. This propaganda disturbs me greatly. IMHO, securing the northern boarder is less about terrorism and more about gaining better control and oversight of the American public.

To you Canadians affected by this, I am sorry that we are no longer as good of a neighbor as we once were. This is unfortunate. I sincerely hope to see the relationship between the US and Canada returned to a more friendly posture.

datosprivados

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
ne leurs laisse jamais faire

This is to protect the citizens of their country from terrorism.
This can also be used as a form of information control, a fence on the border can keep people OUT and keep people IN... Etc. etc.

The idea of restricted borders irks me, I know there are problems like drug smuggling, economic impacts, and racial tensions.. But I think a bit more international trust and unity would be useful.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Americans seem to be getting increasingly nervous about their neighbours to the north. For the longest times, the USA and Canada have shared the longest unguarded boarder in the world. The times are changing though.

Although still unguarded, Americans seem to be getting wary about evil Canadian terrorists sneaking into their country and causing all kinds of havok. Heck, Canadians burned down the White House once, but the two countries have been allies since.

As of June 2009, any Canadian wishing to cross the boarder into the US will have to have a valid passport. For the longest time all you need to get across both ways was a birth certificate.

Earlier this year, Canadian boarder guards were officialy armed with handguns. The American boarder guards were already armed. This arming of the guards caused a lot of boarder guards to quit, or at least question their job. Canadians don't like guns.

A new thing I found out is a recent law put into place where American boarder guards are allowed to seize laptops, iPods, or any electronic device on any person at the boarder without giving a reason or warning. They can hold it for as long as they want in order to search for incriminating evidence. This is to protect the citizens of their country from terrorism.

Don't really know what they expect to find. This all seems to be hurting the relationship between the two countries.
this must be why the boarder patrols website says "Your first job WILL be on the US/Mexico border".

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
we need more killing and more militias. just arm people with fully automatic weapons and hold everyone that crosses for search and seizures. that'll teach them for bringing hockey over here.
and while we're at it we should start a war just so we can hear canadians go "FOR THE QUEEN!"

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Is it me or this idea of being scare of Canada was stolen from the South Park Movie....

Last edited:

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Oh...The Canadian/US border...I thought this was going to be about the US/Mexican border...I've never heard any of this controversy with Canada and the border >.>
Seems like i heard something back about how, although there health care is free, Its not that great and there is a waiting list(for some things) and if you dont get what you need in time you SOL.(i think it was through my mom who works for one of the major health care providers). So people were coming across money in had for things like cancer.(perhaps a canadian could clear this up because i honestly have no idea if its true)

But anyways I think the holding electronics thing is bs. And see no reason to arm guards at the us/Canadian border.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
And I wasn't aware Canadians burned down the White House. Where did you get this information from?
History.

Although actually I assumed that to go across the boarder you needed a passport, so I'm more shocked that that isn't the case than I am that it soon will be the case.
The US and Canada have been allies for a long time, and we share a long boarder, and 75% of Canadians live close to the boarder, so it's natural that they'd be able to cross without passports.

Well I have to say, that Canada is also pretty strict about who they let in.
Canada recieves hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year. Naturaly they'll have to be a bit strict about who they let in.

This is unfortunate. I sincerely hope to see the relationship between the US and Canada returned to a more friendly posture.
It is a waste money, but the way the US seems to be driving things... I don't know how well the relationship between the two countries will be in 50 years time. Canada and the US rely on eachother for a lot of trade, and Canada is heavily influenced by America's laws and policies. I'd hate to see where this takes my home country.

and while we're at it we should start a war just so we can hear canadians go "FOR THE QUEEN!"
We're a monarchy, sure, but I don't think anyone in Canada really cares much. We're a seperate country from Britain.

And a war between Canada and the US would never happen unless the US went completely bonkers. You'd lose billions, perhaps trillions, of dollars from trade. Many of your own allies would turn on you. And the entire world would hate you.

Seems like i heard something back about how, although there health care is free, Its not that great and there is a waiting list(for some things) and if you dont get what you need in time you SOL.(i think it was through my mom who works for one of the major health care providers). So people were coming across money in had for things like cancer.(perhaps a canadian could clear this up because i honestly have no idea if its true)
Don't really understand what you're saying. Could you rephrase that>
And see no reason to arm guards at the us/Canadian border.
Well, the US boarder guards have always been armed. I can see the point of increased safety for the Canadian side though. Before, if an armed American criminal attempted to cross the Canadian boarder by speeding acr to escape from the police, it would be really easy because the Canadian boarder guards would just move out of the way and let him pass. They had no way to stop him. Now they do.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Hmm...I'm afraid, I can't quite follow the idea of stepping up border control. My country has done the exact opposite - we don't have a single land controlled border left, or won't have soon (not sure when exactly the border controls with Switzerland will be done with). I think they still occasionally check passports when driving into Denmark, but I don't really consider it much of a problem as they probably wave 99% of the private cars through anyway.
I don't think we're any less safe just because we let other EU people come in and leave at will. If anything, the terrorists will easily find ways around border controls. It's not like the 09/11 terrorists had a criminal record of some kind, so even if you were to check passports, you couldn't find them.

I'd love increased border control in England as at the moment its ****ing stupid as anyone from the EU can come in **** they could have a huge criminal record list and we'd let them in as we have no choice.
That's actually a misconception. No EU country has to accept criminals from other EU countries. Also, if an EU citizen has committed serious crimes they can be deported to their home country and denied the option of returning. It's just more difficult to find those people when they don't have to get screened at the border when entering the country.

Peachy

Status
Not open for further replies.