Status
Not open for further replies.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Is .PNG files not supported for avatar's?

(I think I made a thread about this four months ago)

I tried to load a .PNG file (Since it says PNG files are supported/or unless .png's are supported for attachments only) and I get something called

This .JPEG has an incorrect file extension. (Same size 150X150)

I checked the size of the file and it has a correct file size but this error, I never came across before. I would have to edit the picture too .JPEG and it would go through. (It's not the avatar I have right now, it's a totally different one)

Last edited:

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
Is .PNG files not supported for avatar's?

(I think I made a thread about this four months ago)

I tried to load a .PNG file (Since it says PNG files are supported/or unless .png's are supported for attachments only) and I get something called

This .JPEG has an incorrect file extension. (Same size 150X150)

I checked the size of the file and it has a correct file size but this error, I never came across before. I would have to edit the picture too .JPEG and it would go through. (It's not the avatar I have right now, it's a totally different one)

Are you able to upload the file to the forum (e.g. upload it to an album and/or as an attachment to a post)?

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Are you able to upload the file to the forum (e.g. upload it to an album and/or as an attachment to a post)?

Tried that a minute ago. Same message "This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension"

Picture originated from here: http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2014/269/0/a/pokemon___snivy_by_cleasia-d80np3i.png

I have to convert it as a .JPEG in order to go thru. (It was originally a .PNG file)

EDIT: This wasn't the first time I tried to upload something that failed. It's only .PNG files that seem to fail for me.

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
Tried that a minute ago. Same message "This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension"

Picture originated from here: http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/i/2014/269/0/a/pokemon___snivy_by_cleasia-d80np3i.png

I have to convert it as a .JPEG in order to go thru. (It was originally a .PNG file)

EDIT: This wasn't the first time I tried to upload something that failed. It's only .PNG files that seem to fail for me.

The error message certainly doesn't make sense.

I was able to get a PNG uploaded to one of the test accounts, so I wonder if there's something wrong with that particular PNG.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
It's happened to other PNG files I tried to upload in the past but I can't remember most of them.

I would have to re-tract others but this is the most recent.

I guess I will have to stick to JPEG files for now unless an answer is presented. Did you get the same thing HH for the picture I presented?

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
It's happened to other PNG files I tried to upload in the past but I can't remember most of them.

I would have to re-tract others but this is the most recent.

I guess I will have to stick to JPEG files for now unless an answer is presented. Did you get the same thing HH for the picture I presented?

Yes, for that particular picture I got the error. I tried two other PNGs, but didn't get the error.

I'm wondering if there could be a dimensions error maybe?

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Yes, for that particular picture I got the error. I tried two other PNGs, but didn't get the error.

I'm wondering if there could be a dimensions error maybe?

I got to re-look at the sizes again or check the date displayed for some of my pics.

I found a few more that resulted in .JPEG errors. (I love Snivy so that's pretty much where all my pictures are coming from :p You can google Snivy and most of my pictures came from there.)

I'm looking up articles pertaining to this issue. I found something similar but tells what it exactly is

http://www.paretologic.com/resources/newsletter/solving_file_extension_problems.aspx

Here's a website to another forum with the same issue

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/967839-quot-This-JPEG-image-has-the-incorrect-file-extension-quot

My solution is two different dimensions (as you probably stated HH) One says saved as .PNG when the original file data is supported by .JPEG

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
The solution seems to be reported here:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...G-image-has-the-incorrect-file-extension-quot

Don't save files with the wrong file extension. You can't simply rename something.png to something.jpg and expect that to convert it to JPEG format.
You need to open the file in a graphics editor, save it as something.jpg in JPEG format, or save it as something.png in PNG format.
If it is saved as something.jpg in PNG format, or something.png in JPEG format, it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.