incontinence causes

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
So over this past year due to mobility issues I had started wearing diapers more as a preventative measure. I have noticed with the way that I wear I am having a few issues. I wear mainly when I am out because I don't want to have to worry about making it to the bathroom in time to go. I will literally drag my feet when I walk so if I try to walk fast or run my risk of fall is greater.
I am in my diapers all day at work and part of the night when I come home. I try to get out after I get home or if I am not going anywhere on the weekend I will stay out of a diaper.
The issue that I am having is urge. I find myself making more trips to the bathroom when not diapered. It depends on how quickly I get to the bathroom when the urge hits as to how much I go. If I go right away most of the time I might just let a little out and be done I mean a few ounces. When I am wearing most of the time I have better chance of holding it for a longer period of time which don't make sense because I am protected I can go when I need to.
The thing is I have read on here and everywhere else that you can't become incontinent by wearing diapers. Believe me wearing to be proactive is the main idea. Any thoughts

Hi lilshelly

there are many causes for incontinence from nerve damage to weakened sphincter mucles or diabetic issues just to name a few. The best course of action is to get a referal to an urologist to get your self checked out to make sure its nothing life threatening thats causing the issues. The first time you go through the tests its a bit embarrassing but you quickly get over that feeling as the test proceeds. I have have through 2 tests and my bladder issue is still not 100% diagnosed even with the second opinion the only out come was its not life threatening and if I am ok staying in diapers theres not much else to try as Meds are out as is surgery and being cathetered 24/7 is not practical at this time maybe if I was retired but not now.

Hope you can het an appointment quickly and get a proper medical evaluation, if you endup needing diapers 24/7 it becomes easier to accept as time goes on and with premium protection level diapers like Betterdry or North shores new megamax diapers you quickly learn to trust your diaper to do its job and any stress about making it to the bathroom intime goes away.

Let me put it this way, back when I was a potty trained child I wanted to wear diapers and wanted to pee in them. As a adult this feeling never went away and my love of wearing diapers grew and I still wanted to wet them uncontrollably so I set out to do just that. I wore diapers constantly and would only empty my bladder into my diaper, this was difficult at first as I had full control of my bladder, however I found that the more I used my diapers the easier it got to wet them and I was soon wetting my diapers whenever I got the sliteist feeling of needing to go. In short , I had diaper trained myself and it sounds as if you are headed in that direction.

Wearing diapers in itself will never make someone incontinent. Though wearing diapers and always using them at the first sign of needing to go will. Actually, so will going to the bathroom at the very first sign of needing to go. As mentioned, it sounds like you have been diaper training yourself without realizing it.

You guys are probably right. I had full intentions of keeping bladder control but over time things are changing. I don't know that it is to the point that I need to go to the doctor although I will heed the advice if things get any worse. I am in diapers for extended periods of time which is about 16 hours a day during the week. Not so much on the weekends unless I go out which is not often. Sunday for church and that is about it. do I attempt to find a bathroom not always most of the time at work I am to busy. I tend to only go out for my lunch break. At home yes I do run to the bathroom which is when I noticed my problem. I guess the only thing that I am really concerned about is losing control at night which it is my rule not to wear to bed. Yeah I get up at least once a night to go but that is it.
If it comes to going to the doctor how do you approach that? Hi doc I have been wearing because of my disability and now I am having urge bladder issues? I know you all are not doctors but I am just trying to figure out what my next move is. I just worry like everyone else here that a doctor is going to think I am a mental case. Thanks

You can perhaps untrain yourself, but making yourself incontinent is unlikely, particularly if you don't intend to.

Medical professionals are not supposed to judge, they've seen plenty of adults in nappies.

My one concern at this point is I am transgender and have not had bottom surgery. I don't know if and when surgery is going to be possible. I have been in a holding pattern for so long that I have all but given up. My only other desire is to keep my continence at night. If I can do that then the rest of my life in diapers may not be so bad.

Incontinence is a 24/7 issue you may start out with only day time bladder problems but over a little bit of time it will probably become 24/7 unfortunately you need to prepare your self for the possibility of being in diapers for the rest of your life.

I have a neurogenic bladder combined with elderly male prostate gland issues.
Cerebral Palsy related.

caitianx said:
I have a neurogenic bladder combined with elderly male prostate gland issues.
Cerebral Palsy related.
Have you always had bladder control problems.. If not when did they start and how did you find out about it being CP related. I am particularly interested because I am hitting 40 and yeah I am kinda scared as to what is happening with my body. I also realize that every person with cp is affected differently. I am very lucky at this point I seem to be getting away with a little bit of pain and restlessness in my legs and maybe a touch of fatigue after a long day. I have noticed a little bit of bathroom issues but if that continues to get worse I will be tested.

lilshelly said:
The issue that I am having is urge. I find myself making more trips to the bathroom when not diapered. It depends on how quickly I get to the bathroom when the urge hits as to how much I go. If I go right away most of the time I might just let a little out and be done I mean a few ounces. When I am wearing most of the time I have better chance of holding it for a longer period of time which don't make sense because I am protected I can go when I need to.

Hi shelly,

from my experiance this makes perfect sence. There are often triggers for the urge (e.g. the sound of water or temperatur changes) These triggers are more “soft or psychologically” ones. The more you afraid of having an accident the more likly it will happen. If you wear protection you can be much more relaxed in the situation and in follow you can handle the urge attack’s much better.

For me it was also part of my bladder training to figure out the triggers of the urge and develop copeping mechanism. This helps me a lot to stay mostly dry now over the daytime now. Only withe the biologie it’s not that easy. Unfortunatly parts of my bladder nerves where damaged an so it still happens that my bladder cramp unexpected if I wait to long.

My incontinence is caused by a ruptured disc in my back. Since I injured my back last summer and agrivating my disc issue, I have become partially bladder and bowel incontinent. When I feel the urge to pee or poop coming on, I can hold it as I normally would, but when I stand up to go use the bathroom, I only have about 2 or 3 minutes before everything starts coming out uncontrollably. I guess it is a good thing that I am already into wearing diapers, so now that I actually have a legitimate medical need to wear them does not really bother me at all. If I was not already into wearing diapers, I would probably have a really hard time accepting the fact that I need to wear a diaper all the time.

Shelly, my experience is similar to yours. I wear diapers (except for special situations) all the time now, but when my incontinence started about 6 years ago it took me some time to accept diapers. I then had the impression that my urge was reduced when being diapered. It might be related to the fact that you don't need to rush when being protected so that you are in general more relaxed.

I agree with Slomo that you cannot become incontinent just by wearing diapers. What happened to me though is that after some time I stopped trying to be continent at any rate and rushing to the bathroom when feeling urge. Today I try to use the bathroom every morning and evening as well as when I change my diaper. Apart from that I just mostly let it happen, knowing that in most cases I won't be able to control it anyway.

I would not worry too much about wearing diapers when seeing the doctor. Just explain your situation; there's nothing wrong about your decision to wear protection because you are afraid of not making it to the bathroom when going out (much better than not going out because of it).

Leio said:
Sure, they know that I have Overactive Bladder, but they don't know why I have overactive bladder...

I definitely have had urges to pee from listening to the sound of water running and other things like that. Now that I'm diapered 24/7, I don't necessarily have as much anxiety about leaking or having something go wrong. I'm definitely not bowel incontinent and I really work to keep my continence for bowel movements.

I was convinced years ago that Over Active Bladder really just means "we know something is going on but have no idea what". This just lends to that.

My bladder-control problem is the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. After the surgery, I bled excessively, developed a life-threatening infection, and was in hospital for 3 months. I eventually recovered fully except my bladder control was damaged. I’ve never been reliably dry at night since then, and I’ve had daytime urge incontinence that has required me to wear a diaper 24/7 for the past 30 years or so.

I am trying to watch my blood sugar to make sure there are no issues there. I will keep record for about 30 days. I don't have diabetes at this point but I do keep track of blood sugar as it runs in my family. As for telling my doctor, he knows that I wear and had tried to help me get them covered by insurance.
The only thing I can do at this point is monitor everything as it happens and if things get worse then just go to the doctor. Other suggestions of being a little more relaxed. People around me seemed to notice a difference in me when I started wearing more often. Honestly the main time I am anxious is when I wet and that is not all the time. I have a good diaper its just sometimes I can push it to its limits. I get hollered at for not using more diapers than I do. I try to get by with one a day but that is unrealistic sometimes. The only other issue I have had as of late is if I go to the bathroom and then I sit for a bit most of the time I will go again may not be much at all but I do go. I appreciate all of your input.

Back