Incontinence 100 Years Ago!! Yikes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Diaper Lover
I was just thinking the other day, what on earth did people back in the good ole' days do if they were incontinent? I am sure it wasnt to widely common, to say the least, but some had to be? Anyone got any thoughts? I think it would be awful, and extremely messy and uncomfortable. I wonder what they did for protection? Those are just my thoughts, would love to hear everyone elses!

Connor

Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, but that would REALLY suck. No air conditioning (obviously), so it would be hard to stay cool, and many of us know what thats like... Plus just the general mess and having to hand wash the diapers would suck big time.

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover,
tried to find a pic, ive seen one somewhere of an ad from the 40s announcing finally! a diaper for adults! its a young woman smiling holding up a big cloth diaper

E

Error404

Cloth diapers, and for the more rich, cloth diapers with RUBBER pants.

That's what the Victorians used at least, and as controversial as it is, they were used as a punishment quite often for children (Though not to the extensiveness we imagine 'diaper discipline'), it was 95% used for the embarrassment factor.

Hospitals used them for surgery patients too as the anaesthetic used wasn't as well controlled as it used to be and patients coming too often felt worse than they do now, sometimes leading to accidents. They sometimes also used them for stubborn patients who wouldn't use the bed pans, thus where the whole 'Matron is evil' Victorian stereotype came from, because it was such person who authorized the use of such items.

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Well being incontinent 100 years ago would probably not have been fun at all. On a somewhat different note, what do you think infantilism would have looked like back then? I assume its been around for a long time, but it probably would not have been so obvious back in the day.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
- Moved to Incontinence section...for obvious reasons -

Peachy

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Actually... from what I've been lead to understand through some light research and various articles online... clothes wetting was especially common among women in the victorian era.

The outfits were very elaborate with layer upon layer of petticoats and skirts... and dinner parties would often last very late into the night. Most well-to-do women had servants to help them dress and undress... this would often take an hour or more. I can't imagine the lady of the house doing a pee-pee dance and squirming around for an hour after a 7 course dinner party where the wine flowed freely.

The few things I have seen point out that it was apparently the accepted thing for ladies of the time to "answer the call of nature" and urinate directly into their clothes. Of course this was never openly discussed or documented so finding direct evidence of it is very difficult. I imagine the many layers of clothing would do a fine job of absorbing the urine... and people did not bathe regularly during those times... so B.O. was covered by very strong perfumes. Everyone stunk to high heavens anyways... so noone really noticed.

Also... you have to figure that in the days before modern medical diagnoses and techniques, any women that had been through childbirth would suffer from some form of incontinence... as it is still fairly common for mothers today to experience the occasional leakage as a result of damage done during childbirth. Many of the women of the victorian age had a large number of children... so I imagine that the urinary side-effects of such were just accepted at some point.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
This is a very interesting topic you brought up for us. Thank you. I had always wondered about this but not posted on the topic. Thanks man, I will be watching.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
interestingly, with regard to women, their 'monthlies' were catered for by what amounted to nappies.
in a TV prog from about 10 years ago, a family lived as people did 100+ years ago and the mother was a bit upset by having to wear 'nappies' for her periods and i remember her bemoaning not being to sit on the chairs because of the leaking (she didn't wear rubber/placky-pants, btw).

i can also remember something from somewhere, quite some time ago which detailed the under-garments of years gone by; it would seem that for most time, most people wore, what can only be described as, nappies (without plackies, of course).

snarf_boy

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
We also shouldn't forget that poeple didn't get as old as we do now. Those incontinence products we use are mostly made for the elderly. If the man in the street reaches only an avarage age of 50 for example the problem for incontinence is a lot smaller:detective3

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I think that cloth diapers and rubber pants ( plastic pants didn't exist back then.)
were what were used back then
and some families may have made their own diapers, because I don't think that they were readily available for purchase by everone and if they were they porbably were expensive.
also that was in the days of out houses or chamber pots. no in door plumbing
so wearing diapers back then may have been more common then today.

diaperjakey

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
cloth diapers and rubber pants most probably. what else could they have used?
could wear a bucket but....

D

daria7483

We also shouldn't forget that poeple didn't get as old as we do now. Those incontinence products we use are mostly made for the elderly. If the man in the street reaches only an avarage age of 50 for example the problem for incontinence is a lot smaller:detective3
Also, keep in mind that a lot of younger people who are incontinent have other medical problems. 100 years ago they would likely have either died as infants or toddlers, or been institutionalized/hospitalized their entire life. So they wouldn't have been walking around as 20 year olds wearing diapers.

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Redtails told me once that he had once read that Vladimir Lenin, founder of the USSR, was incontinent. However, I cannot personally vouch for this. -.-

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Former Preident FDR was in a wheel chair while president and probably before, so he was most likly incontinet also.

ej24

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
babies and children during the victorian era wore cloth diapers and an early form of rubber pants (rubber was a pretty well understood material at the time i do believe) But what is really gross is that diapers would only be changed by the mothers servants about every three days. So how diaper rash wasnt an epidemic im not too sure. and dirty diapers were boiled in water along with the rest of the family's clothes when ever they happened to do laundry.

Status
Not open for further replies.