• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

In diapers 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperdave

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
If you are truely incontinent as I am you really don't mind wearing diapers 24/7. It took several years to accept this but now I can leave home and do about anything I want and not worry about wetting myself. I wear cloth diapers from Adult Cloth Diapers. Their overnight birdseye cloth diapers are the best diapers I have found. Personally wearing diapers sure beats any other kind of underware because they keep my clothes and everything else around me dry.

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
There's quite a few people agree with you that nothing beats cloth diapers and plastic pants as an excellent source to keeping dry compared to disposables.

It's just a mater of preference.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I'm not incontinent, but I do wear diapers enough to know what it would be like. I can't see how I could be diapered 24/7 in disposables and be at all active. I would not want to have to change at work and there is no disposable that would not leak before I got home. I do wear cloth diapers to work and I am able to get through and entire day without a leak. Fortunately, I have an office job or the bulk of cloth would make them less convenient.

checkingoutall

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Other
Yes, when you are incontinent and are finally comfortable with the quality of life your diapers can give you, they are no more than a different type of underwear that gets changed a little more often. I too have come to the point that my diapers are not stopping me from living.

Changing a wet diaper is much easier than changing wet pants.

bob111

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm not incontinent, but I do wear diapers enough to know what it would be like. I can't see how I could be diapered 24/7 in disposables and be at all active. I would not want to have to change at work and there is no disposable that would not leak before I got home. I do wear cloth diapers to work and I am able to get through and entire day without a leak. Fortunately, I have an office job or the bulk of cloth would make them less convenient.
Have you tried a lot of diapers? Because, I could do a whole day in a single Tena super without any leaks. I would just ease off the cofee/juices/soda/whatever.

Quality disposables are thinner than cloth and smell a lot less.

I have a few cloth diapers at home, I sew my own too (still in the prototypes phases) and it don't compare to the dryness of a disposable. I could not imagine going out with an overnight cloth diaper strapped to my butt. I'm too thin, it would show up immediatly.

I know that in the US, you are limited to a few diaper choices, and they are mainly crap.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I know that in the US, you are limited to a few diaper choices, and they are mainly crap.
That's not true. There are a number of good brands available via mail-order in the US. I've been wearing Bambinos for the past few months... and there are many days when I can get through the whole day with just two.

Being diapered is no reason to be less active. I still do all the things I did before I started wearing 24/7... it just takes a little getting used to.

Z

Zeit

I don't think I could ever go 24/7 for personal wants/desires as my motivation for it. I just find it to be a great hassle and for me to be as active it would really crimp my style at first and would just be bothersome after I got used to it.

Even if I was incontinent, I don't think I could handle doing everything that I do now without feeling embarrassed or self-conscious every time I leave my house. If it did come down to it, it wouldn't be a matter of choice though.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Even if I was incontinent, I don't think I could handle doing everything that I do now without feeling embarrassed or self-conscious every time I leave my house. If it did come down to it, it wouldn't be a matter of choice though.
I believe that is a good reason that every AB/DL should try going 24/7 for some period of time at some point in their lives. If you want to know exactly how an incontinent person feels... there is no better method. The first week of it can be complete hell if you aren't prepared, and there will definately be parts of it that you won't enjoy... but you realise after a point that you have to move on and get back to being active, or you are just going to mope around and be miserable for the rest of your life.

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants every night and sometimes in the day. They are much more absorbent than disposables and I don't have leaks most of the time.

Slycamer

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
as dark finn said we have tons of really good brands we just have no good ones in stores

I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants every night and sometimes in the day. They are much more absorbent than disposables and I don't have leaks most of the time.
allot of times you don't fill up a disposible all the way while cloth you always do. this is because liquid can go freely through wet cloth but no through super gel

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I second what Darkfinn said here, I too decided to wear 24/7 and that was back in Jan. And yes the first week or two is alil hard but you learn to deal with it .

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
May I ask why birdseyes are better than gauze. I've been buying the gauze because I thought they were better, based on what I've read. They're more expensive, but if birdseye is better, should I switch?

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
May I ask why birdseyes are better than gauze. I've been buying the gauze because I thought they were better, based on what I've read. They're more expensive, but if birdseye is better, should I switch?
Prior to the introduction of disposable diapers, over centuries various kinds of cloth was tried as diapers. Often the choice came down to what was locally available at an affordable price. Until about 1890 there was no "diaper" or "nappy" industry. Then in several places factories started to make them.

A pioneer firm, Kendall Mills, had a head start. Prior to 1860 they found a practical way to blend cotton in such a way a modern gauze could be made on powdered looms at a low enough cost that gauze could be used for bandages. That was when the trademark "Curity" was born. A few decades later, when it became obvious there was profit in making cloth diapers, Kendall Mills invented looms that retained the best properties of bandage gauze yet used cotton thread strong enough it could be washed repeatedly. This diaper weave gauze had a fairly high thread count compared to bandage gauze. Curity diaper gauze became the "gold standard" at least in the USA.

In the early 1900s the USA rival firm Dundee Mills wanted to make a diaper fabric which could use less expensive and easier to obtain cotton blends. They reasoned that the basics of bandage gauze could work well, by slightly increasing the size of the threads and moving them closer together. The result was Dundee Birdseye weave. It proved to be a satisfactory diaper material which could be sold at a slightly lower cost than Kendall Curity gauze. There are several theories about the name. At the time of its introduction there was publicity about "Birdseye" in the field of refrigeration. When Dundee's fabric was new there was a pattern which some felt looked like the eyes of birds. In the Dundee trademark "Birdseye" was always printed using a capital B.

Flash forward to the present time. About 20 years ago Gerber purchased the Dundee Mills, at a time when disposables had taken the profit out of cloth diapering. A few years later Gerber bought the looms and rights to make diaper gauze from Kendall, who retained the trademark "Curity" for bandage and other products.

The problem was that the special strong cotton blend needed to make the diaper gauze was too expensive. The Gerber R&D department invented a compromise using cotton similar to that from Birdseye twisted into a slightly larger thread than normal for gauze. The diaper service industry accepted this new Gerber fabric, which can be made in many countries.

When you look at Gerber gauze prefold and Gerber Birdseye weave prefold, while new it is easy to see the difference. The gauze is flatter, but once washed a couple of times the difference becomes very subtle.

I still own some Gerber gauze prefolds, none of which I ever used as diapers. Instead I use them as hand towels. Despite my years of using Curity gauze diapers I found the Gerber Birdseye prefolds work better for me as diapers. As an adult I need a cloth diaper that starts out 36" square. The old Dundee looms could only make Birdseye 27" wide. The Kendall looms made gauze 21" wide. My Mom used to sew two Curity 21x40" flat diapers together, which is not so easy. These days Adult Cotton Diaper Company makes their style "gauze" products in 36" and 44" squares.

To me that is a compromise, sort of a tight Birdseye weave, but it stands up to use and especially pinning as well as Curity gauze did in the old days.

Diaper bottom line is that either modern "gauze" or "Birdseye" can make long-lasting and very comfy washable cloth diapers. My suggestion is to no longer worry about the name.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
I too like my diapers for the majority of the time. Being incontinent since I was born, there have always been times that I wished I was "normal" and didn't have to wear them. However, I have grown to like them and realize the advantages and pros, rather than focusing on the negative and cons of wearing them.

My advice to those who don't have to wear is to at least try it for a little bit if really want to know what it's like. And for anyone who has to wear but hates it, my advice would be to be positive and focus on what you do have instead of what you don't. So many of us could be so much worse off, not being able to walk, talk, think for ourselves, confined to a wheelchair, paralyzed, etc. Hearing other incontinent people who are otherwise perfectly normal kills me, and I always try to remind them of that.

Thanks for sharing.

Role
Incontinent
I too like my diapers for the majority of the time. Being incontinent since I was born, there have always been times that I wished I was "normal" and didn't have to wear them. However, I have grown to like them and realize the advantages and pros, rather than focusing on the negative and cons of wearing them.

My advice to those who don't have to wear is to at least try it for a little bit if really want to know what it's like. And for anyone who has to wear but hates it, my advice would be to be positive and focus on what you do have instead of what you don't. So many of us could be so much worse off, not being able to walk, talk, think for ourselves, confined to a wheelchair, paralyzed, etc. Hearing other incontinent people who are otherwise perfectly normal kills me, and I always try to remind them of that.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, having been totally incontinent for only the last 6 years, I can say that I've run the gambit of emotions over it. I've been really depressed, to the point of attempting the unthinkable, to finally accepting it and trying to make the best of what's left of my life. I have other things that I have to contend with though that a lot of people don't, and that's my back. After 4 operations, and being fused solid from the ribcage to the tailbone, and on fusion in my neck, "getting around" is definitely more difficult to say the least.

But I started out using disposables because I had no idea that there were cloth diapers out there for adults. To say the disposables sucked is an understatement. Switching to cloth, specifically gauze, was the best thing I ever did to control this "problem". And after a long period of self confinement and self pity, I've come to accept this and am trying to live a fairly normal life. I've decided that it doesn't matter if somebody sees my diapers because I have no choice but to wear them. If they don't like it, that's their problem, not mine. but I do try to keep it as hidden as I can.

I like my gauze cloth diapers. they allow me to go and do things that I love to do that I was afraid I would never get to do again. Yes, it's a big pain in the arse, but it's still better than sitting on a toilet 24/7.

As for why I chose gauze over flannel or birdseye, well after doing a lot of reading up on it, gauze seemed to be the most logical choice, when you factor in cost, durability, comfort, and effectiveness/absorption. I've tried the flannel, I have one now, but it's hard to pin, and if it gets wet, even harder if you need to re-pin it. I've also got a bunch of the real baby birdseye diapers I use as liners, and they seem to have a looser weave than the gauze does, and I'm not impressed with them. The messes seem to pass through them more so than it does the gauze, however they both soak up fluids well. I guess that's just the nature of cloth there.

chuck

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I find the gauze cloth diapers much softer and more absorbent than birdseye. Sometimes I use a birdseye stuffer at night but my favorite is still gauze.

Status
Not open for further replies.