• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

I'm building a new computer! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Hells yes. I finally racked up enough savings. SUPER DUPER excited about it.

NewEgg wish list

Specs:
  • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
  • AMD Phenom X4 940 Black Edition @ 3.0GHz (I WILL be overclocking once I get a decent cooler)
  • 4GB OCZ Gold DDR2 @ 800MHz (again, OC'ing)
  • Lian-Li Lancool PC-K7B case - a steal at $85
  • eVGA "superclocked" NVidia GeForce GTS 250, 1GB (SLI later?)
  • 320GB Western Digital hard disk (my server has an assload of storage, no need for anything more, plus I'll be moving 2/3 disks from my old PC)
  • PC Power & Cooling 610W PSU, 80+ certified
  • Moving the DVD burner from my old box
Planning on running Fedora 11 x86_64 on it. Thoughts? Suggestions for a name? :D Thinking of naming her Charlie, after the serial killer.

--Danny :ninja:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
lol @ SUPER DUPER

Dude, X4 Black Edition? HELLO? Black Betty?

Congrats on the long awaited new rig. Black editions overclock like a champ, you'll probably get to 3.4GHz on the stock cooler, then get it up to pretty near 3.8GHz if you plan on staying in the safe-voltage range. The Gold OCZ is <3, those puppies will definitely do 1T and 1:1 with that Phenom.

/me likes

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Well all my names will be lame by your standards, but I think Charlie is better than the name of the desktop that you currently have got. That name escapes me, but It did seem a little elongated.

But my random name is "HMS Calculus" or "USS Calculus"

Also, I don't mind have a good graphics card, but for Running simple but pretty text, is it really needed to spend that money on that horsepower? Seeing as you are not much of a gamer? At the same time get 1066 instead of 800Mhz? I don't know much of the price difference.

But enjoy your new build! I'm sure you'll post some pictures once it's all together.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Nice rig.

I'm very bad with names (as you can notice from my names)

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Also, I don't mind have a good graphics card, but for Running simple but pretty text, is it really needed to spend that money on that horsepower? Seeing as you are not much of a gamer? At the same time get 1066 instead of 800Mhz? I don't know much of the price difference.
Faster clocked RAM doesn't mean better performance, you need significant FSB rating before you can start to think on RAM speed. at 1800MHz FSB alone, you're talking 900MHz for maximum performance at a 1:1 ratio with FSB:DRAM, and 1T 4-4-4-16 timings.

element

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Honestly, looks great except for the Fedora part ;) I'd personally go with Debian (or Ubuntu, I suppose) or even Gentoo, but I've never been a fan of Fedora and I've definitely never been a fan of any RPM distro. Again, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, though.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Fedora's sort of my personal preference for desktops and servers while utility/workbench boxes and laptops have tended to run Ubuntu. It's odd, but I really wobble between the two a lot.

Oh, and I do plan to have OS X installed as a secondary OS ^_^ (finally I'll have a desktop PC that can run it). Heard it's gorgeous on two monitors, and it's cool to work with on my tablet, so it can only be better on Charlie. :D

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
[ Note to mods: I'm double-posting because of the nature of this late-breaking news, and the fact that this post is entirely unrelated to my last and so an edit would not make sense; that, and the timestamp element and 7-hour difference between this post and the last ]

I just talked with one of my friends for several hours and did a lot of careful research before making this decision. I have decided that instead of my NVidia GTS 250, I am going to purchase this ATI Radeon HD 4890 card he found for $190. It's my first time using ATI in a production system so I'm nervous about taking the leap especially with the extremely complicated situation that is ATI support on Linux. Yes, I made sure the return policy is adequate in case my testing doesn't go very well.

Sorry mm3, I know this is definitely gonna piss you off. :p

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Go with the WD Caviar Black hard drives. Best performance 7200rpm drives out there! Only $80 for 640gb.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Go with the WD Caviar Black hard drives. Best performance 7200rpm drives out there! Only $80 for 640gb.
Wish I could, I was looking at those too. Unfortunately it's either that or the video card, and with the video card I'll have $1 left in PayPal after all is said and done. Really wish I transferred more from the bank, but too late now unless I delay my order by another week.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Sorry mm3, I know this is definitely gonna piss you off
Nahh, you're not a gamer so it's different. If you planned on gaming I'd definitely have to send you a few whippings your way. But -- alas, ATI cards DO perform well with things like Compiz and desktop apps like photoshop, and this is coming from a long-time nVidia boy. The 4890 is definitely a score, good luck with it :)

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm a <3er for my gtx260. I wouldn't trade it for the world or anything, not even a gtx295. I <3 with.

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Nice one. Those 940 are great.

Regarding ATi and Linux as your primary OS... I made the same "mistake". Official catalyst drivers are released slowly and only support Ubuntu officially. As of now this means drivers are still incompatible with .30 kernels.
1.6 Xserver took some time to be supported as well. nVidia supports new Kernels and other stuff quite fast in contrast.
And Fedora mostly uses newer kernels than Ubuntu...

Open ati drivers support R600/700 by now, but they still lack 3D and xvideo support. So they are quite useless for anything but very simple desktop use. Dont know how long it takes until they are useable.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
@Danny: If you choose to go Arch Linux x64, be prepared for quite a time getting full driver support for your ATI card. It's a bitch in Arch. Other than that, Arch is freaken sweet XD. I <3 rolling release.

Status
Not open for further replies.