I’m 18 year old guy and got harassed at work

Hypr

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I work at a convenience store and been there for over a year, regardless of that I’ve been alive for 18 years and this has never happened to me ever

So brown bald old man walks into the store staring at me and says “OH wow you work here” and he continues to grab his stuff he wanted to buy, and I asked him if he’d like me to put it in a bag, and his response is “oh yes I’d love you to put it in, your so handsome, please put it in” and I just stay silent bagging his stuff and he’s starts saying “why don’t you have a name tag on, I want to know your name so bad, you are so good, looking at you makes my day.”

This has never happened in my life and just wanted to put it out there how weird it was 😂 I find it funny and
S/o to all the woman 😂 I now know you guys feel.

Topex

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
To be completely honest you're making a really big leap to call this harassment. It may have been an uncomfortable situation but not only have you failed to mention you telling him off at all, and the fact that the guy isn't really coming onto you, but he really isn't doing anything that's considerable of harassment, even verbal.

Plus you laugh it off in the second last line and call it "funny". Harassment isn't funny. Saying that you know how women who have been harassed feel I'm sure could come across as extremely offensive to people who have actually had legitimate experiences involving harassment and is generally ignorant and insensitive

Hypr

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
To be completely honest you're making a really big leap to call this harassment. It may have been an uncomfortable situation but not only have you failed to mention you telling him off at all, and the fact that the guy isn't really coming onto you, but he really isn't doing anything that's considerable of harassment, even verbal.

Plus you laugh it off in the second last line and call it "funny". Harassment isn't funny. Saying that you know how women who have been harassed feel I'm sure could come across as extremely offensive to people who have actually had legitimate experiences involving harassment and is generally ignorant and insensitive
Oof I think your taking the word harassment too heavy in this situation . I don’t mean it in a legal kind of way. I’m using in a way I’ve never had a man come at me so aggressive(harassment) I don’t mean he did anything illegal or insane.

Topex

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Oof I think your taking the word harassment too heavy in this situation . I don’t mean it in a legal kind of way. I’m using in a way I’ve never had a man come at me so aggressive(harassment) I don’t mean he did anything illegal or insane.
It doesn't sound like harassment at all though, or even aggressive. A little inappropriate maybe but it doesn't seem to come off as harassment (which is defined to be "aggressive pressure or intimidation"). I'm not sure if it was more traumatic than you're portraying it but from what you've explained it just doesn't really seem to be anywhere near what you're claiming it to be

Last edited:

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I work at a convenience store and been there for over a year, regardless of that I’ve been alive for 18 years and this has never happened to me ever

So brown bald old man walks into the store staring at me and says “OH wow you work here” and he continues to grab his stuff he wanted to buy, and I asked him if he’d like me to put it in a bag, and his response is “oh yes I’d love you to put it in, your so handsome, please put it in” and I just stay silent bagging his stuff and he’s starts saying “why don’t you have a name tag on, I want to know your name so bad, you are so good, looking at you makes my day.”

This has never happened in my life and just wanted to put it out there how weird it was 😂 I find it funny and
S/o to all the woman 😂 I now know you guys feel.
when I was doing my Phlebotomy training back in 07. I was working in a hospital during the Hight of flu season. So it seamed that all of the patients where dementia elderly. I went in to do morning lab draw on the older gentlemen and he started asking me to "finish making breakfast and come back to bed." I set up my supplies to do a blood draw and the next thing I know I am getting groped.

Ya in the strictest of the word it is harassment. But in the literal aspect it is fool that don't know better.

It is irritating but I too can understand the feeling and appreciation of what women go through.

Brandi

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I agree with Hypr. It is harassment if it makes you feel uncomfortable. But there isn't much you can do about it if it comes from a customer and then only briefly. If the customer leaves and doesn't come back to do it again, there's nothing to do. He's gone and it's over. People who work in retail have to put up with a lot, and unwanted sexual references can be part of it.

If that sort of thing comes from another employee you could pursue it. But even then, politely telling them it makes you uncomfortable and asking them to stop is usually more effective--and a lot less damaging to your reputation.

Evahasgone2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
you work in retail and so do I Hypr. It's not easy believe me. How many times older men approach me and stare me up and down like a trophy and it does get annoying. I wear short skirts and work in a big business. I dress mannequins and pose them in big glass window displays. How many times I catch both men an women trying to look under my skirt while I am working. I wear diapers too so that gives them an extra reason to look. I don't ever answer questions to the public, but when out on the sales floor customers will get stupid. I am a small person for a female and at about 100 pounds most think I am younger than my true age. I give you a word of advise. Next time it happens feed into it, and you will see how fast people change their tunes. Lots of luck and stay brave.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
When I was young, I was often hit on by older, gay men. I even had two guys try to follow me when I left the parking lot from where I worked. I was driving my car which was built for the track, so I left them in my burning rubber. It is both annoying and troubling. When I was a student at a music conservatory, it always happened. I was in a relationship with another guy, so once that was know, they all thought I was an available target. Sexual harassment happens in a lot of different directions.

Evahasgone2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
there are many definitions to the word harassment. simply it is unwanted attention. i see it every day at work, and plainly many think that it is funny. to the person receiving the unwarranted attention it is just what it is.