If you were a parent, would you make your children wear diapers longer than necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokiyomi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I mean, if "normal" kids wear for like 2-3 years would you make them wear diapers for more time like 6-7 years?
I would do it depending on what my children told me if they want to wear them for longer or just like "normal" kids:sweatdrop:

I would too-for as long as THEY decided they needed them.
When I was young, I should have simply told my Mom that I needed them...she would have put me back in them-along with therapy.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk

I would only let them decide when they want to start potty training. Their body, their choice, even if I love diapers.

I'd call that child abuse.

I would not make them. My kids trained pretty much on the own. Both were trained by 2 years old.

I agree with Trevor on this, although I do think it would have been better for it to be explained why.
First of all, at first it seems like a good idea because it's based on our own experiences and I imagine many of us wish we could have stayed in diapers longer. But it's important to realize that this is our own experience and our own desire. These experiences and desires shouldn't be forced on your child, and you can't just let a child decide because they don't understand the full extent of what it is they would be deciding.

It's important you potty train your child, it's fine if they take a bit longer than usual, that isn't abused. But I do think it's important to potty train your child regardless even if they don't want to be. We are talking about your child whom will have to go through many life experiences growing up and going through schooling. You don't want them having anymore a hard time because of a stupid mistake their parent made neglecting to properly potty train them. Don't make them go through such embarrassment.

Now after potty training them, and you happen to find out later in life they are still using diapers like in their younger teens, it's a different story at that point. They are old enough to decide on their own I would say, but I also do think it's important to really talk to them about how it's seen by most people and what they would have to put up with and how they should keep it private. Though I'm sure by this point they would know all this by now ... at least mostly.

Anyway, if it's something they really want to do, they will do it behind your back and at least then you know absolutely it was their choice to do and not something that was just thought of lightly and the parent decided to go along with it without really putting their foot down.

Now this is just my opinion, but I do think it's important to be a parent, and sometimes that means doing things that you child may not be exactly happy about at first, but will thank you later in life for, and I for sure think this is one of those situations. LOL well, they may never thank you for it, but what child thanks their parents for potty training lmao ... well, I think it's more about the point XD. I'm sure you understand what I mean, or at least I hope.

Absolutely no way. Why would you push your fetish on children? Just... why?!

Not only would I not force diapers on any poor child that didn't need them, I wouldn't allow them to use diapers if they didn't need them. At least, not until they were old enough to take care of things themselves, and only if they'd expressed a persistent interest and I thought they were going to be ABDL. And with a hell of a lot more provisos besides.

Trevor said:
I'd call that child abuse.

Yep. Me too.

It may not seem like it to adults (and maybe even less so to ABDL adults), but potty training must be a very important part in a child's development. I can, to this day, recall a particularly proud moment when my father came home from work and, all by myself, I fetched the potty, set it down at his feet and almost instantly produced a monumental turd. My new trick! I'd been wanting to show him for days! Strangely he was less than congratulatory, even leaping out of his seat, and running out of the room blaspheming loudly. But deep down, I still knew I'd done a great job.

Typically, potty training is amongst the first skills a child learns. Like learning to walk, being able to control bodily functions gives children one of their first experiences of gaining control. It probably makes them realise that, with practice, they can change the world around them and accomplish new things. Not only that, but they're starting to realise that "diapers are for babies" and that, if they don't need them, they are very "grown up" -- cleverer, more skilful, more respected, more in control, etc. Which is great for their self-esteem.

Admittedly some children will never be potty trained, whilst others may have a different schedule to go by based on their personal conditions and abilities. But for most kids, potty training is a "big thing" they want to get right to show how grown up they are.

Children are far, far, far too important to abuse and disrespect by forcing them into diapers. If you're a parent, you should love your kids and want the best for them.

My opinion comes from a single man w/no kids, however,

No way. Especially so if you only have a diaper fetish too. That would just be disgusting and abusive- sexual abuse to boot.

Now if that child was genuinely interested in diapers themselves, or otherwise a diaper/teen lover, then I would be an absolute hypocrite to not let them flourish as they are.

what would you do if your, let's say, 9 year-old begins to wet his or her bed every night?
First, I'd imagine, take him/her to the doctor, right?
Then, provide proper bed-wetting clothing, right?
If they continue, then obviously they would require protection-whether or not the child "likes" it.
Would that be considered child abuse? At my age, I'm not about to have kids or marry into any any time soon...just curious. Very interesting discussion I may add

While I would not force my child in diapers, I definitely would not want diapers to be frowned upon, whether someone else has to wear diapers, or if he may need to wear diapers again.

BabelBilly said:
what would you do if your, let's say, 9 year-old begins to wet his or her bed every night?
If they continue, then obviously they would require protection-whether or not the child "likes" it.
Would that be considered child abuse? At my age, I'm not about to have kids or marry into any any time soon...just curious. Very interesting discussion I may add

That obviously wouldn't be child abuse because it would be a medical need.

if they seem interested in potty training why would you unless you were projecting your interests onto them? I'd say that would be a really horrible thing to do to a child.

It seems obvious the OP has never had to change a poopie blowout diaper. Both my wife and I were anxious to have our kids potty trained. When a family is starting out, money is usually short and diapers are expensive. Then there's the poopy mess and smell.

That said, we also didn't pressure our kids to potty train, meaning, we didn't make them feel bad when they struggled or had accidents. That is its own form of child abuse, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe being AB/DL made me more sensitive to the psychological needs of my kids, but I didn't want to make the same mistakes that might have been made with me when I was a toddler.

At the same time, as a parent, we wanted our kids to be well adjusted and to be able to "fit in". Kids usually have to be potty trained when they start Kindergarten, so there is social pressure there. If they're not potty trained, other kids in school will make fun of them. When I was in kindergarten, we had a girl classmate who often had "accidents". Typically, the kids would laugh when she wet herself. I wouldn't want my kids to have to go through that.

I couldn't have said it better myself, dogboy.

I don't have any kids yet, but I would give my kid(s) the idea of potty training at age 2. If they were reluctant or slow to learn, I'd let them do things at their own pace. After age 3, I'd push the issue a bit more, but not try to force it. After age 4, I would try harder to potty train, as i wouldn't want my kid wearing diapers in school if it can be prevented.

As far as bedwetting goes, i know kids don't usually want to keep wetting the bed and it is mostly out of their control. My little brother and a couple of my childhood friends were bed wetters. Only one of my friends seemed to want to continue wearing at night and i would be surprised if he wasn't abdl now. My brother outgrew it at age 8, the potentially abdl friend never outgrew it, and the other friend outgrew it around age 15.

I think the pressure to potty train too early was a factor in me being DL.

BabelBilly said:

The idea of "forcing" anything on a child makes me feel very uncomfortable, no matter what the reason. As a parent, part of what you have to do is to set clear boundaries and guidelines of expectation, but... you have to do it with mutual respect.

At some point this tiny, helpless being, over whom you have complete control, will become a determined, strong-willed, cunning human being. They will lie, cheat, steal and outwit you... if they so choose... unless there is mutual respect.

A 9-year old kid is mature enough to understand and discuss their bedwetting with their parents. Parents have no right to say, "We have a problem with your bedwetting, so you must wear diapers and that's the end of it." The issue must be discussed, maturely, with respect for the child's feelings and preferences.

If my 9-year old child suddenly started wetting the bed, I would be most concerned. Firstly as to medical/physical issues, and then as to mental ones (stress, etc.). Once that's has been dealt with and you just have the practical issue of how to manage nocturnal incontinence, then it's very much something the child needs to be involved in.

Maybe they'd prefer diapers or pull-ups, maybe waterproof bedding is the answer, maybe a "bedwetting alarm" would help. Maybe they'd like help putting on diapers, dealing with wet sheets, or maybe they want to deal with it all themselves privately. At nine years old, they should be starting to have some independence, and it would be wrong to "baby" them. But every child is different. The point is that you should be focussing on their needs and what's best for them, not... projecting your own wishes onto them.

You can't just (always) dictate your will to somebody (even your own child). You need to give them choices and involve them in the decision-making process. That's how they learn to debate and make mature, sensible decisions as an adult.

I'm not saying you can't put your foot down. Doing nothing and ruining the mattress and bedding is not an option. But... you can't just be a dictator. You earn no trust and respect that way, and without these, you can't be an effective parent.

That really depends. Is my kid having wetting problems or problem keeping their pants clean? Are they wetting the bed? Also how bad is it? My son had diarrhea and I didn't make him wear diapers even though I suggested it but he didn't want to wear any and he was fine with messing himself and changing into clean underwear if it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

jcwilliams343 said:
I would only let them decide when they want to start potty training. Their body, their choice, even if I love diapers.

You still have to encourage it though and get them interested. It won't happen on its own without showing them any potty books or potty training videos or showing them a potty for them to pick out or having them watch you go.

I think the important point established here is like the old man in the pampers size 6 commercial said years ago, it needs to be about the child, not the adults

I'm sorry, but Trevor is right: as phrased, the OP's question answered in the affirmative is definitely child abuse. You'd make your children stay in diapers for years longer than they needed them? Why? Because you have a diaper fetish. That's just wrong. Several posts near the end here, starting perhaps with Dogboy's, make some excellent points about putting the needs of the children first. If you'd do anything else, you shouldn't have children in the first place.

To put it simply. No never force them to do anything not required.

I've raised two boys from infancy one is now 14 the other is 9, both have worn diapers and pullups on and off. But I never forced them unless it was needed. My younger brother (14) wet the bed untill he was 7 years old in that time he had the choice of pullup or plastic sheets. He chose the pullup on his own. He was told he could use them as he felt he needed them. But it was never forced.

My son (9) still wets the bed and has minor day accidents and still wears pullups or diapers at night (his choice). He is also allowed to use them as he feels he needs them. He uses them on his own for video games and he will use them when he is not feeling well.

Other than that he stays away from them. Most kids don't like to wet or soil themselves and don't care for diapers they prefer their big kid underwear. But at times it is needed and teaching a child that a diaper is just a type of underwear that's absorbent and can be worn when there is a high chance for accidents can help. If it's a problem that they understand let them decide. I only force him into a pullup or diaper at night because we can't afford constant laundry for pajamas and sheets on top of his daytime accidents at school and I have explained that to him, but he chooses to use them while gaming because he hates having cold wet pants and he knows he has trouble determining when to go while doing something he enjoys. Severe ADHD plus OCD and a touch of autism makes it difficult for him to do common things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back