If you had low income would you prioritise nappies?

I have no choice, I'd probably stop buying more expensive night diapers and just use betterdry for everything and buy cheap tense and drink less if i ever lose my job

Anyone that's financially responsible will "prioritize their expenses", I think what you're asking is "would we still make diapers a high priority?" (and if so, where would you put it, compared to other higher priority things?)

I wouldn't prioritize it above essentials like food and utilities, but it would be considered an important non-essential. And I'd cut back on the amount I buy if my current spending was going to be too much to fit into my budget, but I wouldnt stop completely unless I was getting desperate

I was in a very low income situation myself and had to make the choice to not use diapers as much as I was used to. I resorted to buying cheap branded diapers from goodwill and other thrift stores. I had to wait till my income got a lot better before buying the premium again. Which felt very rewarding.

Reactions: checkingoutall
Food > Wine > Nappies > spandex > oxygen 😜

This thread got me thinking about what I would do if I were to lose income for a long time, I could make it a short while no problems but no more than 3-4 months and being that I'm urinary incontinent it's not like I can just stop wearing diapers or stretch them any further than I already do. It seems a lot of folks would switch to a cheaper diaper but given the fact that more would be needed/used I doubt you'd come out any ahead. I guess if I were only using Abu and tykables and switched to abena and dry 24/7 I could save a decent amount but I mainly use dry 24/7, megamax and incontrol elite and I don't know what l could use that costs less than those but would do the same job. Perhaps I've over thought this but now I wonder.🤔

When i had a really hard time finding work which was around 2013, i had to make sure rent was going to be covered. then i thought of how much i would pay for food/ water. once i had that calculated, i could think about getting a pack of M4s or dry 24/7s. now days, I've been pretty responsible lately. thats the price you have to pay for being successful

We have adjusted our budget to deal with my diaper needs, its one of the line items that gets priority as I get really stressed when I get low on diapers and would not be able to manage to work with out them. Unfortunately even when money is tight diapers are the one thing that cant be cut.

I do bulk buy when theres a sale and we have the money to do it as we look at it this way they will get used and when I have a good month work wise we put some of the money into my diaper supplies.

It is tough when your on a lower budget and the government or insurance company should help out like they do in England but in north america your on your own for the most part as they make it tough to get any help.

I’ve always been low income, but because of disability money and other benefits that I get to be able to survive I am still able to afford my monthly diapers. Well I am not medically in need of diapers, at least not yet, I have had some issues in the past five or six years that I’ve put me in a situation where I rely on them 24/7. The combination of being very blind and having some mild bladder issues means that accidents are definitely more likely, combine this with the meds I’ve have to start taking which make me PEE more in diapers are definitely a necessity. I also get some over the counter credit through my insurance and I’ve been able to use this to get some of the cheap store brand diapers to offset my very expensive quality diaper costs. I use these cheaper ones during the day when I’m at home. I use the better more expensive ones when I’m out and about or at work or when I’m sleeping. So I figured out a system that works for me. Like somebody else said, even if you need good diapers and you really do medically need them your prescription doesn’t mean shit, you could need diapers all you want and you’ll still get fucked over on quality. Some of my neighbors in my building get diapers through their insurance and they’re the shittiest quality, from what I’ve heard anyways it’s like the same quality that I get from the over-the-counter diapers through my insurance. I’m just in a lucky situation where I’m also able to afford the good quality ones.

bobbilly said:
I think I would as wearing nappies really help with my mental health struggles. I'm lucky that I have a healthy income and well stocked but if I was poor I would go without just to be able to wear nappies. Also I'm pretty fortunate that I've never gone without nappies. Been wearing IC nappies since I was 11, not from incontinence but for emotional needs. My foster parents let me wear nappies from age 11 and I have worn ever since. When I turned 17 I was able to get disability benefits and in the U.K. these are quite generous and I'm able to afford any nappies that take my fancy so I'm very fortunate.
I’m proud to live in a country where disability benefits are generous and we have free healthcare, and as a taxpayer I’m happy to pay higher taxes in case I need either myself one day.

I think I would certainly factor them into my choices. I might switch to using a cheaper brand permanently (eg Formacare Comfort Slip Super at £7.50 for 16- all white and plastic backed) rather than the variety that I use now, which includes more expensive nappies such as Betterdry and Drylife XPlus which are around twice that price for fewer nappies.

Last edited:
chuck said:
I would wear the same as I do now--cloth diapers and plastic pants. Much less expensive than disposables.
Agreed. But for me the bulk of my terry-towelling and plastic pants wouldn't fit under my trousers though would under most skirts but I hardly wear skirts these days - except for formal occasions on the calendar. I'd wear some disposables but not the ones I wear now.
W3NTBOTHWAY5 said:
Don't. Don't do this, this is getting into telling y'all too much about me but I've been there and I 'have the t-shirt'
aka I wish I'd not been so needful of nappies
...and that's all I'm okay with saying.
-
BW
OK.

No, I'd go without. I've a couple of pairs of towelling pants that I'd wear with a booster pad and plastic/rubber pants, or just be happy wetting myself while sat on the toilet or in the bath.

Wen I was on benefits u was not 24/7 but still had diapers luckily my BF help me out with some packs as he likes me to be padded.

Yes definitly but I would choose cloth for nighttime and at home, disposables (medium priced like betterdry) at work

One of the things I’ve noticed about having that fight between quality diapers and spending less money is that, we all like to think that we could get cheaper diapers and still have good quality but most of the time that doesn’t really work out. Yes to some degree it’s all about what works for you but generally if you really try to truly save money your quality diapers go downhill really fast. So if it really came down to it, is it something that we like to think that we would be able to do if we really had to or have we just gotten used to the quality of diapers that were used to wearing? For example, yes I wear the cheap Walmart diapers while I’m at home, but would I trust them out in the world, hell no those things will leak all the time and I have to change like once an hour already as it is. With better diapers I can go 6 to 8 hours without having to change if I had to. Since it is really still a matter of choice and the good quality diapers still do exist, I think we would all still try to get the quality diapers as often as we could even if we had to cut back somewhat but unless they just never existed and the force just into that situation I don’t think anybody would do that willingly. It’s good to try to do it in the short term but you end up realizing how crappy it is wearing cheap diapers.

In that situation now .... on disability and can’t work so very little extra money. So I get goodnites when they are on sale and use very sparingly. I try to use pacifier /bottle before I go to diapers. When I do use one, I still use potty as much as possible so I only use one a day. I also don’t wear at night much because it seems a waste when it stretches out (so can’t wear again) and doesn’t get used much (I use a med that causes me not to pee much overnight).

But this is also why I get some whiny, cranky, jealous posts on here because I see all you trying new diapers, getting to use true ABDL diapers (too expensive), just wearing/⎌using as much as you want and I can’t do that. I get a 34 case of goodnites or ninjamas every 2-3 months and that’s it. I don’t have any medical need for them so can’t get free ones through insurance.

Honestly, I hadn’t thought of this kind of thing before. Though I do have a fairly decent stash at the moment, if the opportunity arose where I didn’t have a ton of extra money to spend and was running low on diapers, I might lean more on cloth diaper use and swap in disposables on occasion. I have maybe a week’s worth of cloth diapers as it sits, so I think I could make it work.

Back