Ideas Join (welcome wagon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

OK, so heres the deal. I'll shorten this as much as possible but this is going to be a bit long, so bear with me please. Back on TBDL, I don't know if any of you remember but, I had this little program called "Adopt A Newbie." What it essentially was, was this:

When I noticed that many people were joining the forum and then leaving after a day or two- maybe after two or three posts, I decided that it would be beneficial for the community and other members to pair up with one of our known/appreciated/well liked members with a Newbie. This was not to enforce rules. This was more of a "Hi, this is a friendly community, this is what we are about, hope we can be friends" kind of ordeal. It was hard at first when I started it, but when It launched, it really worked. There was a spike in posts, the member and the newbie usually became friends and so on.

I wrote out the guidelines of what the member had to say when PMing the newbie for the first time, as to make it very official- and then let them add in what ever they wanted to make it more personal. The PM read that so said member was chosen in a program to help newcomers such as themselves get to know what TBDL was about and to inform them of our ways. It informed them that the member would be their to answer any of their questions and to help them when ever they were in need. Though it did have some flaws- Some newbies posted once and then never came back, all in all it worked out.

Today, a proposal was made by Raccoon called The Greeting Committee

What he proposed was that we have a bunch of people appointed to greet newbies because many of them were not being greeted. In effect, these people on the 'Greeting Committee' (or gc) would ask the newbie questions and give him the just of our site while telling him about the rules and such.

Anyway, I decided that two programs would be useless, redundant and probably would clash in the end. I really do not have an opinion on whose is better, they are just both good in their own ways, so I want to set forth a program that integrates both ideas into one.

The Plan

So the plan now is this. I want to gather about fifteen qualified members who are know, trusted, and want to do it. Raccoon wanted to have a separate sub-forum for the group, and I do not know if that is necessary or that Moo will agree to it, but I feel it is worth giving a try. These members will, in simple, do this.

1. [*]For each newbie, one member of the group will volunteer themselves.
    [*]After they have a newbie, they will have to post a reply on the newbies greeting, ask questions and tell the newbie about the site rules and such.
    [*]If the newbie doesn't seem to be involving themselves on the forum, then the person who had them first will contact them via PM.
    [*]They will greet themselves and say something such as "I haven't seen posting for a while, just wondering what you have been up to." so on and so forth. (This will create somewhat of a friendship and help the person feel more part of the forum in a sense)
    [*]After all of that I or who ever is in charge will confirm with the member of the group and see how things are going with their newbie.

This system is actually less stressful than the one I had with Adopt a Newbie because with that I had to pick out each Newbie individually and place them with a member. Here in this system, it makes it so the newbies is chosen by the member of the group who feels that he is suited or will be compatible with this person.

All in all, I hope this work. I do not like the name that I nor Raccoon chose, so:

What I Need Now

What I need now is

1. A new name -Something cool- for the group.
    [*]Members.
    [*]Some more ideas to make this a little better.
    [*]More Memebers
    [*]Moo's permission to make an exclusive sub forum.
    [*]And 15 members suitable!

Raccoon, if you would like to add something, please do. Other than that, I hope this works out for the best and I really think it could make our community grow, and in this time when we are starting anew, I think it's the best of times to do so!

FullMetal

Role
Private
Ahh, yeah. Not a bad idea. Although I wouldn't personally be a part of it. Welcoming people isn't exactly my forte. :)

But if it means getting more people in and maintaining current members, then I'm all for it. ^_^

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
The Plan

So the plan now is this. I want to gather about fifteen qualified members who are know, trusted, and want to do it. ... These members will, in simple, do this.

1. [*]For each newbie, one member of the group will volunteer themselves.
    [*]After they have a newbie, they will have to post a reply on the newbies greeting, ask questions and tell the newbie about the site rules and such.
    [*]If the newbie doesn't seem to be involving themselves on the forum, then the person who had them first will contact them via PM.
    [*]They will greet themselves and say something such as "I haven't seen posting for a while, just wondering what you have been up to." so on and so forth. (This will create somewhat of a friendship and help the person feel more part of the forum in a sense)
    [*]After all of that I or who ever is in charge will confirm with the member of the group and see how things are going with their newbie.
The problem with this is...if a member PMs a newbie because said newbie isn't participating in the forum...it's going to be quite likely that said newbie will be unable to respond (if he/she can even read) the PM due to not having enough posts.

I'm just thinking back to the original 'program' as it were and the idea of PMing newbies...but if said newbies hadn't posted a set number of posts they were unable to send/reply to PMs. I ran into that with my newbie...in that program...I don't know what ever became of him! *sighs*

What I Need Now

What I need now is

1. A new name -Something cool- for the group.
    [*]Members.
    [*]Some more ideas to make this a little better.
    [*]More Memebers
    [*]Moo's permission to make an exclusive sub forum.
    [*]And 15 members suitable!
Name Suggestion: ADISC Welcoming Environs...or AWE (environs is just another word for community/neighbourhood) :-D

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I could look into adding something that allows newbies to PM people in the greetings committee group even if they had a low post count.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Idea:
If there was some way of auto-creating a thread for a newbie in the sub-forum once I did the background check on them (I guess that's the easiest way to volunteer yourself, by replying to the thread. It needs to be automatic because it'll be annoying to search for new members, and then make the threads by yourself. And I say after background checks because you don't want to waste your time welcoming someone who's going to be banned.)

So yeah, I'll join in.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I will participate if I qualify. :p

What about the Newbie Friendship Circle? Yes yes.... simple and cliche but I think it's cute :D

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I would love to do this again. It was great fun (even though my first (victim) I mean newbie :p chose to give me the silent treatment.)

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i'll volunteer for this group if i qualify as "suitable."

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
That's a great idea and I support it. But what if no member volunteers for a newbie? And if the newbie leaves the forum and you send him/her a PM, how will he or she know that he/she received one (if they disabled the email alert thing)?

If it was on FTT, I would volunteer, but no. Even if I could participate, I doubt a newbie would trust someone with red reputation. I definitely wouldn't. =P

F

FullMetal

The problem with this is...if a member PMs a newbie because said newbie isn't participating in the forum...it's going to be quite likely that said newbie will be unable to respond (if he/she can even read) the PM due to not having enough posts.

I'm just thinking back to the original 'program' as it were and the idea of PMing newbies...but if said newbies hadn't posted a set number of posts they were unable to send/reply to PMs. I ran into that with my newbie...in that program...I don't know what ever became of him! *sighs*
I could look into adding something that allows newbies to PM people in the greetings committee group even if they had a low post count.
Yes, that was a problem before but if Moo could create something to help that, it would work out so well. What is it at now, 3? Before it was and I just picked newbies with more than 3 replies, it was annoying which brings me to charilies idea;

Idea:
If there was some way of auto-creating a thread for a newbie in the sub-forum once I did the background check on them (I guess that's the easiest way to volunteer yourself, by replying to the thread. It needs to be automatic because it'll be annoying to search for new members, and then make the threads by yourself. And I say after background checks because you don't want to waste your time welcoming someone who's going to be banned.)
This is brilliant and will take so much work out of the process. It would be great to also have you on the team because you do the background checks. I hope this can be done, but if not there are ways around it.

That's a great idea and I support it. But what if no member volunteers for a newbie? And if the newbie leaves the forum and you send him/her a PM, how will he or she know that he/she received one (if they disabled the email alert thing)?
I personally make sure, like I did before, that every newbie who starts a greetings thread is paired with a member. And an E-mail is sent to their email address saying that they received a PM, thats why this program really works.

Name Suggestion: ADISC Welcoming Environs...or AWE (environs is just another word for community/neighbourhood) :-D

What about the Newbie Friendship Circle? Yes yes.... simple and cliche but I think it's cute :D
We have two names, I like them both, but I want at least three more and then I will start a poll.

Thank you all for volunteering, Raccoon has not replied yet, I really hope her does.

Thank you again,
FullMetal

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I have changed the forum code. Now, newbies, people with low rep... etc have their ability to send new PMs limited, just as before.
Unlike before, however, they can now reply to PMs they are sent.

Meaning: a lurker/newbie can't send PMs except to people who have sent PMs to them.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
Full, I think that is a great idea to help promote and expand are little community here. I really don't have any idea for a name as I'm not really the best with stuff like that but I'll keep thinking about it. As far a volunteering, sign me up. I'd love to be involved with this project if I can meet the "requirements".

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Of course I want to join in. Looking forwrd to more experiences from people in adopt-a newbie

F

FullMetal

Ok, so I'm thinking we have seven people so far. Once we hit ten I'm going to start making arrangements. For now what we still need is a good name. Im kinda into what ayanna said with the AWE thing, I just happen to like the initial formation, but I want at least five to go up on a poll this week, so please think. I hope we can get our own forum since I learned that it wasnt possible to have access to a sub forum without having access to the whole forum (I was thinking make a sub-forum in the mod forums but that wont work) Even if we don't get the forum, we can still make this work, just communication will be harder and limited.

I have got some work to do, so I will just leave it at: I hope this all works out. When we have more people signing up, all of you that did sign up should be expecting a PM from me confirming your approval into the group. I want a max of 15 people, I hope everyone understands. Clutter is just not my thing. I will also post a list as well as the proper things each member has to do. If so said forum is not approved, I do not know how public announcements to the group will be made, but I am open for suggestions.

I hope this all works out, and again thank you all.

FullMetal

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role

I don't know whatever happened to this thread, come on people, we just need a couple more people to volunteer to make this whole idea a reality. Come on guys, signup, it is for a good cause, thanks.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Just read this forum. Sometimes mommy doesn't let me onto the computer because my back will act up and I have to lie down for a day. I would love to be a member if you will accept me but my only question is this.

How do you pick a newbie and if you do pick a newbie how do you know its not someone elses? The idea of a newbie committee sounded like we all welcome the person into the group and then someone offers to take the newbie under their wing so to speak through this forum?

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You want to join the ADISC action comittee?

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I like this idea, although I hesitant to join such a group because I know my bluntness can sometimes scare people off, or something like that. But I think this is a great idea to introduce newbies to the feel of our community.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
See Fullmetal, there are more than enough people interested in this idea to get it started, we just need to work out the final kinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.