Idea for the site

Do you think we should have a contest like this(read post first)

• good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad idea

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am nuetural on the matter

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
We should have a adisc contributer of the month contest. every month we have a group of select people vote on who they think did the most for the site. Weather it be helping ,giving good advice or posting a good wiki addition. Or whatever else you can do to help adisc. So what do you guys think?

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
sounds like one big popularity contest... more importantly, i feel it might hurt other major contributor's feelings and give reason for some people to contribute too much.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Well first it is not popularity due to it being selected judges. No it's not i amean like put it somewhere on the site.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
For it to be decided by anyone, would mean that there is likely some popularity involved in the decision...Reputation is somewhere on the site

Role
Private
Well first it is not popularity due to it being selected judges. No it's not i amean like put it somewhere on the site.
Then who selects the judges? Another popularity contest?

I'm sorry, but putting it bluntly, this idea just wouldn't work on this site. No one should be placed in the spotlight based on user-opinion. It may be unfair to them if they do not want it, and it's unfair to other members, who may feel inadequate in comparison.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Um moo duh. No offense lukie but that seems obvious. If it's that bad of an idea never mind. Rep only shows people making good posts so people that do other helful things don't really get recognized.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
What other ways can you be helpful on here other than posting something helpful?...I don't know if Moo wants to spend his time with something like this

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I would say no just because it would make people contribute for all the wrong reasons. People should contribute to the site because they enjoy being here and wish to see it improved not for recognition.

Not to say that some people don't deserve it moo and all the others should get applauded every now and then for there work. But other than that i think the people that deserve recognition get it without there being some contest.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
It'll very likely could this site more competitive in stead of helping. Those 2 things don't go together well.

So I say NO.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No offense, but there's enough drama on the site already. And, more drama is what I think this would create.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I see where you're coming from with this, and yes reputation only really works on posts, but I'll have to vote bad idea.

I think the post-bit shows how much somebody contributes already, and the respect people get from that is probably better than being named "contributor of the month". In fact, if you were to pick the person who wins fairly, I would have said you should do it automatically using the post bit stats! I'm sure Moo could come up with a formula that takes the rep/month, posts/month, thread/month, wiki-edits/month, blog enteries/month, gallery uploads/month, and referrals/month of everyone spits out a winner.

But that still wouldn't be a good idea, because people would contribute for the wrong reasons, as people have said.

Not to mention it might make people feel bad, people do as much as they can to help, and everything that everyone does to help is appreciated, I think that the collective "Aww I didn't win" would be worse than the one person saying "yeah, I won!".

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
:iagree::logicwinsagain:

I'd say Charlie hit the nail right on the head! I'd add more but he said it all!

I did find something unusual about the poll tho'...13 say BAD IDEA...and 4 say they're Neutral...no one said "good idea"...so does that mean not even the creator of this thread thought it was a good idea when he posted it?

Role
Private
Um moo duh. No offense lukie but that seems obvious. If it's that bad of an idea never mind. Rep only shows people making good posts so people that do other helful things don't really get recognized.
None taken, because I'm inclined to believe Moo wouldn't think this is a good idea... not that I'm one to speak for anyone else on this site.

Besides, I feel time can be better spent on less trivial features and more on ensuring the site runs correctly.

I think the post-bit shows how much somebody contributes already, and the respect people get from that is probably better than being named "contributor of the month". In fact, if you were to pick the person who wins fairly, I would have said you should do it automatically using the post bit stats! I'm sure Moo could come up with a formula that takes the rep/month, posts/month, thread/month, wiki-edits/month, blog enteries/month, gallery uploads/month, and referrals/month of everyone spits out a winner.

But that still wouldn't be a good idea, because people would contribute for the wrong reasons, as people have said.
A system similar to this was discussed in this thread a while back, as a proposed change to the reputation system.

I think it's a bad idea from the start to promote a user just because he/she got voted on it. The current rep/post-bit stats are a good indication of how much a user contributes to the site. Which I think should be enough information to make a determination of how a user fairs on this site. (I still stand by my words, that rep should be given by the community to those who give to the community - and thus, would not like to see changes to the current system).

As Charlie pointed out, to achieve this spotlight position - if it were to be based on contribution - would promote the ideal of contributing useless stuff in large amounts. It could flood out the site in wave of spam. The fact that users already get recognised for the quality of their posts or other contributions should be "reward" enough to continue in that way.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Ok I'm done with it no point in leaving this open if everyone will say no. So can a mod close it please.

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Ah well, thread closed.

I do however, Like the fact you came up with an idea on how you'd like to see the site improve. Sure, people didn't like the idea (Myself admittedly included), but it was great that you at least put it out there for us to discuss. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.