I wonder why ABDL/Little supplies are so expencive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyninjaW

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
  7. Other
Hello, This is my first thread in a while and due to that I have a question that I am wondering about. I am wondering why abdl stuff is so expensive, like 40 or 50 bucks plus shipping, sometimes more when I don't think it costs that much to produce, At least I don't think. So why do you think it is expensive? Thoughts?

Well in some cases it's were you live.
But sometimes it's more profit what better way to make more money.
That's why you have to watch ebay there been stuff very cheap but you look shipping hundreds.

It's an easy explanation, It's a niche, medical diapers are cheaper because there targeted towards a specific group of people, so they are targeted towards a later group of people.

There aren't much AB/DLs so I'm assuming it costs more to produce since there smaller companies that deal with AB/DL stuff.

It's a business, they round up for profit, for example It may cost them 10 cents to produce one diaper, but round up it to $1.10 for example.

We're a niche market. Manufacturing in quantity dramatically lowers cost. So when a market is small, costs are always going to be higher. If the market expands, quantity goes up and prices will tend to drop. Believe it or not, ABDL stuff used to be quite a bit more expensive. (and with a lot less variety) We've seen quite an improvement in recent years, probably due to the increased awareness and purchasing which has improved volume.

It's a simple supply and demand problem. There isn't a huge market for ABDL stuff, so the supply size remains pretty small. Small runs on manufacturing drive up the price.

Actual baby manufacturing has an economy of scale, so prices get driven down. Baby items are also much smaller so they will naturally cost less to make, ship, store, and sell.

Small and niche market, companies need to make decent profit and can make more money while there is less competition. Shipping depends on where it's coming from. The diaper itself could be expensive as it may have been shipped from a different country first. Plus there are people on sites like Etsy who spend a lot of time customising stuff and they want money for time spent and the materials bought.

i think the major problem is that abdl stuff is a niche market and so to stay afloat, companies have to charge more to make up their operating costs. they have employees to pay, taxes, utility bills, and storage costs. some may drive the price up for personal gain, but for the most part, they just don't sell as much as medical companies. an abdl retailer may sell thirty cases of diapers in a month, while a medical company may sell sixty in a week. also, abdl companies have to produce products in smaller amounts, or have to order more than they need and store the excess. either way, the lower sales costs them money, and as such, costs us. the best way to reduce their costs is for us to buy more of their products, which is difficult for us to do, due to the fact that we can't spend hundreds on diapers a month. in the end, there really is no way for us to get abdl products cheaper, the fact that the companies exist at all is a miracle, one that we should take advantage of.

Pretty much has been answered XD but figured I would also reply anyway.

Basically the less amount of people that want something, the less likely you will sell large quantities of it. It's expensive to run equipment and pay employees and the bills for a manufacturing facility. What you are producing has to be worth more than how much it costs to produce it and it's obviously preferable that the profits are also worth the time invested in doing so. If you are only profiting by a small mergin, the worth isn't really there.

It costs more to manufacture products in small quantities. Thus they have to make up that money by increasing how much it costs.

Here is the paradox. The only way for any of this stuff to get cheaper is to buy more stuff. The more we buy, the more attractive this business becomes. The more attractive, more people enter the market. More people, more competition. More competition, lower prices.

So stop paying for health insurance. Spend that money on abdl stuff instead. In a few years, things will get cheaper. With the money you save on the cheaper items, you can get insurance again.

FYI, I am not an economist, but I'm pretty sure I'm dead on here.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Simple, it's a niche interest, low demand = higher costs.

plasticsounds said:
Here is the paradox. The only way for any of this stuff to get cheaper is to buy more stuff. The more we buy, the more attractive this business becomes. The more attractive, more people enter the market. More people, more competition. More competition, lower prices.

So stop paying for health insurance. Spend that money on abdl stuff instead. In a few years, things will get cheaper. With the money you save on the cheaper items, you can get insurance again.

I don't think getting rid of your health insurance to buy more AB/DL stuff is a good idea XD.

plasticsounds said:

Well you're right about one thing here.... you're not an economist XD

Small niche market

+ its a market where people are ashamed to enter

+ we abdls tend to want better quality stuff then at the store. If you haven't noticed, some of the best diapers in the world are not from what you buy from the store aimed for incontinence but from abdl online stores like Bambino and ABU and Rearz. The most absorbent diaper in the world right now is the Rearz Safari diaper and if you noticed again its not from Depends or some other store brand I rather not know about

+ all this super quality stuff IS NOT cheap or easy to make. A case of Rearz Safari is $85 for a case of 36-1 gallon absorbency diapers which comes to $2.38. They most likely are making them at $1.50 to make any profit so they can continue to sell it. It doesn't seem like it but when you compare to some of the highest absorbency baby diapers, they are about the same comparison when it comes to cost per oz of diaper usage

+We abdls tend to want things differently. Do you ever see adult diapers with space ships or cute animals you find on baby diapers sold in the stores?

+Human adults put out more waste then babys do. A 3 year old who drinks enough water like they should will fully use a 800-1000ml diaper in 6-8 hours while a adult will use about 5000ml who drinks enough water in 8 hours;adult humans need a diaper 5 times more absorbent for the same time of usage

= A diaper that is 5 times as expensive as the most absorbent baby diapers out there.

Hope that answers your question!!!

rennecfox said:
Well you're right about one thing here.... you're not an economist XD
Bummer. I really thought I had figured it out.

Oh well. At least I know how and where to make a deposit.

Get it?

😕

bambinod said:
We're a niche market. Manufacturing in quantity dramatically lowers cost. So when a market is small, costs are always going to be higher. If the market expands, quantity goes up and prices will tend to drop. Believe it or not, ABDL stuff used to be quite a bit more expensive. (and with a lot less variety) We've seen quite an improvement in recent years, probably due to the increased awareness and purchasing which has improved volume.

Slomo said:
It's a simple supply and demand problem. There isn't a huge market for ABDL stuff, so the supply size remains pretty small. Small runs on manufacturing drive up the price.

Actual baby manufacturing has an economy of scale, so prices get driven down. Baby items are also much smaller so they will naturally cost less to make, ship, store, and sell.

I agree here. It's supply and demand economics. Compared to more institutional supplies, ABDL stuff has much less demand. Consider the cost of maintaining the machines used, warehousing, taxes, everything is on a smaller scale and thus prices are driven up.

plasticsounds said:
Oh well. At least I know how and where to make a deposit.

Get it?

Yes but I'll pretend not to for civility's sake

My point was its a niche market, no individual is going to change that fact and lower costs.

But before you can have the effects of supply and demand, you need a certain volume. specialty markets rarely if every achieve that status. That's what makes them a specialty. Even in a most high volume market like mobile phones- being in sales - I don't know how anyone tolerates the poor voice quality. I'll take a land line any day for voice quality. And that costs more, why? because good voice quality is now considered a specialty market. go figure. So even with volume sales of something, it does not guarantee quality for the cheap price.

rennecfox said:
Yes but I'll pretend not to for civility's sake

My point was its a niche market, no individual is going to change that fact and lower costs.
Sorry😓

The truth is, as stated before, abdl stuff is cheaper than ever. I remember spending a fortune on dpf.com for moderate quality items. Even classic Attends briefs were over $1.00 each (in 1995 dollars). Molicare was the national debt. This doesn't even take into consideration the selection and availability worldwide. It's a good time to be in diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back