Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Uh, no. The amount of problems it gave (for me at least) didn't outweigh the bennifits.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Wasn't the reason why flash chat die was because no one was online due to the fact that you couldn't tell who was online anymore?

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Eh, the flashchat was kind of a pain. The client was a hog and laggy :p. I'd prefer to stick with IRC.

Kiani

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Other
I like flashchat better personally. I tryed IRC and couldent get it to work for me. I think that we should have both. Then the people that can figure it out can go to IRC and the people that cant (ME!) can go to flashchat.

I hope we get flashchat. Otherwise I am going to feel like a dork not being able to get IRC to work even with directions. :p

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Is anyone with me? I miss it, and people have a less hard time with flash chat, opposed to getting in the IRC for the first time.

YESSSSSSSSSS! i almost quit coming here when flashchat disappeared :X alas, its probably to hard to integrate into the new forums, but it beats sitting in IRC watching people hijack it with no regard to anyone else.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I want it back. It's where I made friends with a bunch of you guys :3

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm passive about it, IRC already is filled with snobbish, rude, and crass conversation, and I always thought flashchat ran sort of slow. But, I like it when Abby's happy, so I guess bring it back.

Role
  1. Private
Mmm, I'm going to have to vote no here.

I don't see the point in having two separate chats for the one site. Everything about that just screams redundant.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Yeah I like Flash Chat better then having to go through IRC.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
I voted "no", because
- the client was a resouce hotting laggy piece of crap software (no way I can run that for extended periods of time like an IRC client)
- it lacked customization and let everyone choose a different color, which made it almost unreadable
- the room had almost no intelligent discussion in it; everything was silliness or rude comments/drama; and whenever I was awake, it was mostly empty anyway
- I see no point why we have to split the chat community into two groups again.

The only positive thing I can think of is that it would clear some of the silliness out of the IRC room and leave it for more serious discussions.

On a short note: I don't think it's too much to ask for people to install an IRC client on their computer. It takes barely any hard drive space to save and almost no resources to run, and people who can't spend 10 mins to download and to install it probably wouldn't stay in the chat for more than 5 mins anyway.

Peachy

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I like flashchat better personally. I tryed IRC and couldent get it to work for me. I think that we should have both. Then the people that can figure it out can go to IRC and the people that cant (ME!) can go to flashchat.

I hope we get flashchat. Otherwise I am going to feel like a dork not being able to get IRC to work even with directions. :p
PM me, I'll be able to help you. So far everyone I've helped got IRC working.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I voted "no", because
- the client was a resouce hogging laggy piece of crap software (no way I can run that for extended periods of time like an IRC client)

True - but those who find it problematic could stick with irc.

- it lacked customization and let everyone choose a different color, which made it almost unreadable

Just sticky a reminder not to use unreadable colors. I hated that problem too.

- the room had almost no intelligent discussion in it; everything was silliness or rude comments/drama; and whenever I was awake, it was mostly empty anyway
- I see no point why we have to split the chat community into two groups again.

We are getting big, and I notice many people idling because they can't get a word in edgewise.

The only positive thing I can think of is that it would clear some of the silliness out of the IRC room and leave it for more serious discussions.

This is very important. I second Peach's point, and call for a show of hands... oh wait there's already a poll.

- On a short note: I don't think it's too much to ask for people to install an IRC client on their computer. It takes barely any hard drive space to save and almost no resources to run, and people who can't spend 10 mins to download and to install it probably wouldn't stay in the chat for more than 5 mins anyway.

I had many problems installing IRC and running it; I should have talked to Martin. Nonetheless, it is the case that some have problems with IRC whereas others have problems with Flash.
Peachy

We have many members; we could use more space(s)

Redundancy is good: if one doesn't work...
I liked the shortcut to Flash.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
That's splitting up the community again, that's the last thing we want to do right now.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I never saw any activity in the flash chat on the rare occasions where I went in there. If it were to be implemented I'd probably stick to IRC personally. I like IRC better than the places I have seen flashchat anyway - and I get to mess about with using python with xchat.

As for it being there, it would be OK I suppose, if there could be the bar we used to have saying who was in there. There were a lot more people in there when there was something saying that people were in there and who they were. I probably wouldn't use it, but it is clear from this thread that there are people who would.

As for the pracitcality, having redundency is a good thing, and it would ciphon off random talk and drama from IRC, both of which I consider to be good things. The only real problem I can see is that you would need to have a new staff member or two to watch over it, or further increase the workload of the existing ones - that is the only real problem I can see with it, if that is a problem. That and implementing it again.

I personally wouldn't use it, but I don't see how harmful it could be to have.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Yeah, I remember when we had the flash chat, was in there once or twice. Bad times. Pretty much for all the cons that are mentioned above. Crappy software, and silly converstaions, if you can call them conversations.

If anything, a better web based client for IRC other than cgi-irc (which I believe is crappier than the flash chat.). But I'm not 100% keen on that either. If we make it easier for people to get onto irc, I think you'll see an uprise in un-intelligent chat. Because flash chat was one click away from anyone. Where as IRC, new to most members, takes time and effort. Which the people with short attention spans won't be able to get through.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
I think it sounds awfully snobbish of the people who are suggesting that making it easier to get into the chat will make the discussion a lot less intelligent, or that the flashchat would be a good place for the less intelligent people to go. I partially agree with it - people who are just looking to be stupid and annoying probably won't take the time to download and install an IRC client.

But seriously, it's not fair to say that someone doesn't deserve to join in the conversation because they can't, or don't want to, do that. I know back in the old days I spent quite a while being confused by IRC, not knowing exactly how to get in there - and so I didn't bother for quite a while. When I did, I certainly don't feel I lowered the quality of discussion, but I would've appreciated it being a bit easier.

My point isn't that we should make it easier to get into the chat, my point is just that it's unfair to use "stupid people will get in" as a reason not to make it easier. But then, where does it end? If we wanted to keep stupid people out, could make it so you had to go through a series of riddles to get to the forum? That is, of course, ridiculous. There's no fair way of keeping people out like that. It's best to just let them in, and if they do turn out to be really, really stupid then they probably won't last long anyway.

Besides, I didn't go in the flashchat much, but when I did I never saw that much wrong with the discussion. I had a fair few sensible conversations there, actually. Though it was mostly empty.

I've gone a bit off topic on this little rant here, I think. So I'll just clarify my opinion of the flashchat. It' s really crappy software. And there's no sense splitting up the community into two chats. So I'm still saying "no" to it. But I really don't think the quality of discussion in it is that bad. No stupider than the IRC often gets, and most of the people in there are fairly sensible.

Reactions: Moo
Status
Not open for further replies.