I think they're doing it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
because obviously they can not am so its sprays is the best way to describe it.
I know mandi, thats why I said this above! :) So considering that for a girl from my expeirances with girls it should go equally to front and back, maybe slightly more in back. Sitting down it will on be middle and back mostly. Then stomach and laying on back is pretty obvious for guy or girl.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I think there are too many factors involved in where your pee goes in the diaper:
For one, the amount you wet and also the speed/force of your urination will affect the diaper. Your pee will first go from wherever your pee hits the diaper to the bottom of the diaper (which depends on the position you're in). It then slowly gets distributed to other parts of the diaper, but that process depends on the quality of the diaper and your activities after wetting. If you shift around a lot, the pee may get distributed more easily. If you just remain in the same position for a long time, it takes longer.
In addition, the place where the pee hits the diaper matters. For guys, (unerect) penis size and the positioning plays an important role. And while girls may seem t o always hit the diaper at the same spot, even that depends on how exactly a girl is built down there and which exact position she'S in.

So, in other words: It depends on your individual case, and it's damn hard for diaper designers to accomodate all kinds of different people with differently built peeing "tools", different activity levels and different amounts to be absorbed. A diaper can only be a compromise of all relevant aspects.

Peachy

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
So, in other words: It depends on your individual case, and it's damn hard for diaper designers to accomodate all kinds of different people with differently built peeing "tools", different activity levels and different amounts to be absorbed. A diaper can only be a compromise of all relevant aspects.
So make all diapers as thick as Abena X-Plus' and have super huge dimensions as far as absorbent areas, front and back!

dirtbike4x4

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've noticed a couple of things common through out this thread, one serious the other just a pet petvee of mine.
First Gravity is NOT a force and therefore does not pull your pee down into the middle of your diaper, your pee's weight is what pulls it down into the center of the diaper. (I hope I'm not the only one who's taken physics).
Second, the fact that your pee moves from the middle up (againts the force of its weight) to both the back and front is not due to the way you sit/lie down/whatever in your diaper, it is because it is wicked up by the fibers of your diaper. True the movement of pee is aided by sitting funny and squishing it towards the front and back, but even with out that, it would eventually happen. This is a result of capillary action and the general attraction of the water molicules in your pee to other water molicules. This causes them to go up against the force of their weight, resulting in the phemona we call wicking.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I've noticed a couple of things common through out this thread, one serious the other just a pet petvee of mine.
First Gravity is NOT a force and therefore does not pull your pee down into the middle of your diaper, your pee's weight is what pulls it down into the center of the diaper. (I hope I'm not the only one who's taken physics).
Second, the fact that your pee moves from the middle up (againts the force of its weight) to both the back and front is not due to the way you sit/lie down/whatever in your diaper, it is because it is wicked up by the fibers of your diaper. True the movement of pee is aided by sitting funny and squishing it towards the front and back, but even with out that, it would eventually happen. This is a result of capillary action and the general attraction of the water molicules in your pee to other water molicules. This causes them to go up against the force of their weight, resulting in the phemona we call wicking.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

Wait a minute... isn't weight simply mass x gravity? Gravity is a force... get it right.

The National Standard of Canada, CAN/CSA-Z234.1-89 Canadian Metric Practice Guide says: In science and technology, "weight" has primarily meant a force due to gravity. In the physical sciences, weight is a measurement of the gravitational force acting on an object.

Gravity is a force acting from a distance. In our specific case the center of the earth. The further you are from the center of the earth the less force gravity asserts on you.

dirtbike4x4

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Wait a minute... isn't weight simply mass x gravity? Gravity is a force... get it right.

The National Standard of Canada, CAN/CSA-Z234.1-89 Canadian Metric Practice Guide says: In science and technology, "weight" has primarily meant a force due to gravity. In the physical sciences, weight is a measurement of the gravitational force acting on an object.

Gravity is a force acting from a distance. In our specific case the center of the earth. The further you are from the center of the earth the less force gravity asserts on you.
I think it is nessicary for a clarification here. Gravity itself is simply an attraction between two objects with mass and volume, it itself is not a force, but instead it gives objects weight, and weight is the force that actually pulls down on the object.

Your right, weight is mass* gravity, but gravity is NOT 2.21 lbs/kg as it is sometimes taught, but instead an accleration of 32 ft/sec squared.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Last time I opened a physics book I was in high school 7 years ago, but I think I still remember something...

The force of gravity is a force that every object with a mass exerts over other objects, and its strenght depends on the mass of the object which is exerting it.

The only gravity force we're used to consider is the one caused by the huge mass of the Earth, because any other gravity force derived by other objects results as infinitesimal and thus unperceivable, if compared to that. But even the lightest object has a gravitational field all around itself.

Wikipedia said:
the Earth itself experiences an equal and opposite force to that acting on the falling object, meaning that the Earth also accelerates towards the object. However, because the mass of the Earth is huge, the acceleration of the Earth by this same force is negligible
Anyway, my opinion is that the main factor that determines how wetness spreads in a diaper is simply the quality of the polymer which fills it, and more generally the quality of the diaper itself.

EDIT: simultaneous post with dirtbike's one....

dirtbike4x4

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Anyway, my opinion is that the main factor that determines how wetness spreads in a diaper is simply the quality of the polymer which fills it, and more generally the quality of the diaper itself.

EDIT: simultaneous post with dirtbike's one....
Yeah, thats exactly what it boils down to

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
^ Well, then that would explain perhaps why my Abenas don't usually soak up to the back. I remember Finn saying he wears Tena's to work, and THEY soak up to the back...so perhaps it's just the different absorbant materials. It seems the whole male to female variant is iffy, as some girls have reported puffing in the front, not just the back/middle. As far as the whole physics dispute...How would a diaper wet in space? I guess it would just have to do with the power of the stream.

So on Earth, (and I'm not that good with math, but i consider myself a critical thinker) (fellow scientists in this thread, please feel free to correct this formula)

W=P+G

-
W (wetness of the diaper) = P (pee force) + G (gravity)

It also (as said) could have something to do with "size". But even some girls said they soaked up their fronts too (which i think feels the best). I think that it might have something to do with the different kinds of diapers (or more importantly, different absorbant materials).

However, I changed right before i posted this, and the (abri-let-maxi) insert inside my diaper was soaked almost all the way up to the back, but in the back of the diaper itself it was dry (as usual for me). I wish I could wet up to the back every time though, because I would get even more use out of them.

Role
Diaper Lover
You're right but the main reason I don't like padding at the back is that when you're sitting it's liable to squeeze out and leak. More at the front would be better in most cases.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
firstly, i never 'get' the up or down questions: it's a willy, it points where it will and that depends upon what position you're in ( stood, running, jumping, upside down or lying on side, back or front) and other stuff. to keep it in pointing in one direction under the multitude of circumstances would require a tight/snug fitting garment......and you don't want a diaper to fit like that simply because it defeats the objective of design and intent.

onwardly, my experience has led me to conclude that disposable diapers are primarily designed from and for a female perspective. whether this has something to do with the gender demographics of Research & Development depts, i can't sure, but would guess that that has a strong influence.
as a former bedwetter, there's no way i'd trust a dispie for night-time use; for the reasons which have been mentioned by others and from my own experience of using them. and that's unfortunate, because the design concept of the dispie is very useable by children who bedwet and more practical for them to use, without adult assistance, than traditional diapers.

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Whether or not disposable diapers are meant primarily for women can be debated but gender demographics don't have anything to do with it. If we assume they are made for women that's not because there are more women, but because women are more susceptible to urinary incontinence later in life.

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Wow, thats exactly what gender demographics means......
A gender demographic has nothing to do with urinary incontinence, what are you talking about?

If we assume they are made for women that's not because there are more women, but because women are more susceptible to urinary incontinence later in life.
The only way that could be considered a gender demographic is if it's being specifically applied to only those who have urinary incontinence, and that was never mentioned.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
firstly, i never 'get' the up or down questions: it's a willy, it points where it will and that depends upon what position you're in ( stood, running, jumping, upside down or lying on side, back or front) and other stuff. to keep it in pointing in one direction under the multitude of circumstances would require a tight/snug fitting garment......and you don't want a diaper to fit like that simply because it defeats the objective of design and intent.
Say what now? :eek7:

My diapers aren't exactly skin tight... and I can point my "willy" downwards... it will stay there all day. :laughing:

Maybe you have had such bad experiences with disposables b/c you put them on too loosely?

Please explain to me how a snug fitting diaper defeats the design and intent? It has to be snug so the sides press up against your skin and it dosen't leak.

Go talk to anyone who has ever changed a diaper... they'll educate you.

dirtbike4x4

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A gender demographic has nothing to do with urinary incontinence, what are you talking about?
Gender demographics is simply the breaking down of any group by gender, in this case they they have broken down the gender demographics of people with urinary incontinence

Last edited by a moderator:

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
QUOTE]

Gender demographics is simply the breaking down of any group by gender, in this case they they have broken down the gender demographics of people with urinary incontinence
Not just urinary incontinence, but both types. Also, the medical industry generally looks at anatomy along with professionals such as doctors and nurses, possibly working within the disposable garment industry (sometimes as consultation.) The whole point of the unisex diaper is to generically accommodate as many users as possible while minimizing costs.

Oh, and by the way, you should consider gravity as the "Universal Law of Gravitation" as not a force, but a force exerted on mass. http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html

Have fun reading that second paragraph of Newton's 2nd law. ^_^

Awww, who am I kidding? O_O Ram tons more padding in there, like I do.

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I think diapers need more padding in the front also
I'm a guy and a very heavy wetter.
and usually the front of my diaper is soaked, but the back is hardly wet.
another idea for a unisex diaper is have the whole diaper be padded thicker for those of us that need more absorbent diapers.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Say what now? :eek7:

My diapers aren't exactly skin tight... and I can point my "willy" downwards... it will stay there all day. :laughing:
ah, but what do you do all day? i run, jump, climb and am sometimes upside-down.

Maybe you have had such bad experiences with disposables b/c you put them on too loosely?
i doubt it. a lot of the time, when laid on my back and with my willy pointing donward, when bladder voiding occurs the area which gets the initial squirt becomes sodden and cannot disperse the fluid away from that area as quckily as it is arriving. this creates a waterproof barrier effect (similar to that exploited by wetsuits) which then causes the subsequent fluid to 'rebound' up and over the front of the belly and, due to the lack of absorbancy in that area, results in fluid then flowing downwards around the hips, which have absolutely no absorbant capacity in dispies. and that's where traditional diapers have the edge.

Please explain to me how a snug fitting diaper defeats the design and intent? It has to be snug so the sides press up against your skin and it dosen't leak.
the outer edges (leg holes and waist) need to be snug to create a seal, the inner portion needs to be sufficiently expandable, or loose, to accommodate the extra volume it will aquire, which will come from a bladder/bowel voiding. both these needs are attainable from the cut of the garment (if you've ever made clothes, you'll understand).

Go talk to anyone who has ever changed a diaper... they'll educate you.
will they? will they really educate someone who has been doing this stuff for 30 years?
and, if dispies were as good as the manufacturers (and you) seem to think, those same manufacturers wouldn't have need to make absorbant 'bed-mats', would they?

btw, have you ever considered that size may be an issue in the pointing it downwards stakes?

Whether or not disposable diapers are meant primarily for women can be debated but gender demographics don't have anything to do with it. If we assume they are made for women that's not because there are more women, but because women are more susceptible to urinary incontinence later in life.
didn't i refer to the gender demographics of Research & Development departments? i mentioned it because when i worked in a diaper factory, that particular department was populated primarily by women. also, the entire industry has a somewhat feminine edge to it, probably because women are more inclined to deal with sanitary and medical issues and to also take those sedantary type jobs; and thus, you would get a predomantly female perspective (and likely, bias) to the issues concerned.

the argument of manufacture-to-costs ratio (ie. the unisex diaper) is pretty flimsy, as individual brands/diapers will often have many variants which differ very little, and the machines which make diapers can easily be 're-fitted' for other designs, sizes and absorbancy capacities; 're-fitting' of the machines for such, occurs on a daily basis (subject to manufacture targets).
somewhere, a manufacturer could easily accommodate a 'male' variant into it's product line without too great a cost.
and even if it was a great cost to design and re-tool for the manufacture of a male diaper, so what? they re-design and re-tool all the time, just as a matter-of-course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.