Not open for further replies.

OGDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
So, I recently figured out I was transgender. I havent told my parents that I want to be a girl. How do you tell someone that? Im just scared that they wont accept me, I want to be just like any other girl, ive worn a dress before, but i want to make a transition. What should I do?

Slomo

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
You should approach it with your parents as an "I think I might be...." situation. Ask your parents what they think, and maybe see if they would help you see a psychiatrist regarding this.

This is the first step towards becoming transgendered any ways, so you'd be including them in your journey.

Be warned though, this is a very long, and expensive, journey. Good luck with it though.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Tell a therapist first (and be prepared to be a little picky about them). And friends you trust. Depending on your parents, whom I know nothing at all about, their reaction could range from extremely supportive to completely devastating. If you're already feeling worried about it... trust your instincts. Don't put yourself at the mercy of their potentially bad reaction due to their ignorance. Tell them when you are honestly prepared for whatever response they may have.

SallS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
I did a study of "telling" when I had questions about telling my own children and could not find any information and have done a number of presentations. I have also incorporated some additional information I got from Mara Kestling of NCTE, The notes from that presentation are here
http://www.gendertree.com/Telling.htm
The Power Point is here and if you do not have powerpoint you can either pick up a free reader from Microsoft or pick up Open Office (also free).
http://www.gendertree.com/SCC%20Telling.ppt

CryBaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Make sure you're actually transgender and not just a fan of dresses or makeup or girly things in general. There is far more to being transgender. You need to feel that actual dysphoria, that feeling that your biological parts don't match your brain. Lots of men like to dress up as women but still be men... Before you go down that long and painful road, be 100% sure that's what you want to do. There's a lot of hype around this issue right now and that can mess with our minds a lot.

Role
  1. Carer
There has been some great advice here already but thought I may just add a few bits. Sometimes before spilling all to the world take some time to put your thoughts in order. As the poster above says there is far more to being transgender than just clothes and makeup, your entire life is turned upside down. There is the potential to loosing friends and family so you must be 100% sure this is the correct path for you. The advice on seeing a therapist is excellent because explaining all this to someone who has no agenda will enable them to get the right questions answered. Your parents, who care and love you, may not react in a way that is to your liking because they may fear for your future. Being informed yourself and ready to answer questions really helps with the coming out phase to family and friends. Being ready with practical information and robust answers to their thoughts, questions and possible negativeness. Research, research and more research before telling anyone. There is no point just letting it out of the bag then having no answers to the barrage of questions.

You may wish to play around with your gender expression a little as well first, try going out to the cinema or for a walk as a girl. Find a laid back or understanding friend who may wish to spend time with you. This way you can feel comfortable with your new role in society and become accustomed to how you fit into the world as a woman. You need to constantly plan your every move and slowly build up your confidence. There is no need to drop all this on your nearest and dearests until you fully understand everything yourself. It is you telling them what you want, so you need to be the expert and have the experience to explain all when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.