• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

I need help getting Mass Effect to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
I swear, this has to be the biggest ____storm I've had to wade through to install a game. A 5-hour install/download isn't that bad, but when the game doesn't even work, it's time to throw in the towel and ask for a refund.

So, I'm asking you all (because the Steam forums haven't validated my account yet) to please help me get Mass Effect working.

System specs:

Laptop
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz)
3 GB RAM w/ PAE (the box said 4 GB :p)
NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT (512MB, 1920X1200 LCD)
Realtek HD audio device (wtf, dunno name, sorry.)
--Will update with more information if it becomes relevant

Problem I've been having is loading a game. The game goes to the loading screen, starts playing the world audio and... freezes. Nothing. Attempts to alt-tab or alt-F4 have only worked when another window overlaps the Mass Effect window (I refuse to play it fullscreen because it makes me have to restart on a crash). Ctrl+Alt+Del works about 90% of the time.

I wait 2-3 minutes for the game to load, then I restart my computer.
Full sound acceleration.
Lowest graphics settings possible; 1024X768 resolution IIRC.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
That is odd considering I ran it perfectly fine with a 2.2 Ghz dual core, 2 gig DDR RAM and a 8800GT video card.

Maybe you got a bad download?

NoobSauce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
...8800GT video card...
I am almost positive it's my 8700. It's a laptop graphics card -- the drivers are, apparently, a different version than the 'forceware' for the other chips.

Maybe you got a bad download?
I hope not. I had to leave it overnight just to install it. I guess I will have to check the files.

(I got it through Steam, and as far as I know, no patches have or can be applied. Please prove me wrong!)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well I got my copy from _______...

now fill in the blank. so I can't help ya with patchs and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.