I might buy ABU Cushies, what are your experiences with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey

Waddling Mouse w/ASD
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I've been wanting to get some ab/dl diaper for a while. I've decided upon the ABU cloth backed cushies might be my first buy.
I've had no experiences beyond goodnites, so I'm not sure what to expect with the cushies. I'd appreciate any recommendations about these diapers; or some other alternative based on below.

My main goal is to have the diaper feel, meaning I want to feel enveloped by the diaper. Ideally the look and feel of being a baby, which the cushies do well at a glance.
You may notice my profile includes DL, but honestly, I've been moving more to the 'Little' to 'AB' spectrum slowly.

I don't plan wearing outside my bedroom when parents are home, so this means 1-12 hours max amount of time in any one diaper. A goodnite absorbs about that amount of liquid for me (normally), so I've heard the cushies are not the most absorbent, but I'd assume it would hold more than a goodnite? appreciate any insight!

I haven't yet tried the new cloth-backed Cushies, but the original run a couple of years ago remains my favorite adult disposable. The fit with Cushies seems to be hit-or-miss, owing to the lack of elastic combined with the single-tape design. Basically, the diaper can either be tensioned so that it hangs nicely on your hips, or it can't--diaper too long, or too short. Fortunately for me, the length of the Large is absolutely perfect for me, producing the most comfortable and durable fit of any diaper I've experienced. Needless to say, the ability to reposition the Velcro tapes helps too!

Unlike so many cloth-backed adult diapers that have an almost abrasive texture, the cloth-backed Cushies are soft. I really liked the texture. Further, while it has often been said of ABU diapers--particularly in the Old ABU days--that they were "cheap" and not well-made, I got precisely the opposite impression. The construction was very strong and precise, and the fit was durable. Absorbency-wise, they're certainly not going to win awards, but they're decent. I wore them long enough to empty my bladder a couple of times, and had no leaks, though the diapers were clearly "full" at that point. Like you, I'm mostly an in-the-bedroom, around-the-house type of guy, so capacity isn't my number-one concern.

Again, this was with the first run of the cloth-backed Cushies done by Old ABU. Still looking forward to trying the new ones.

As always, consider sampling multiple sizes for the best chances of a good fit. I can't advise on the ABU scents, as I've never tried them. Too many muggles around to be tempting fate that way.

Cheerio!

Last edited:
Cushies are a bit more absorbent than a goodnight, but much less safe usable padding than their looks would suggest. Most of the padding in the back is simply never going to be able to get any use. But it certainly adds to the feel, I like to reach around back and feel the top edge of my diaper and the start of the padding there. The shell is a nice compromise of crinkle and softness in the plastic, again good for the feel. If you like single tapes on each side, those are very nice. While they don't usually provide a safe leakproof fit, they DO stick well and are extremely wide so its almost unheard of for them to pop of like some other tapes are known for. The shell is also pretty crinkly and the paddding is very wide in the crotch, so its hard to be discrete with them in public if you need that. (some others would count that as a plus!) The lack of front/rear elastic reduces the comfort IMHO.

I think with diapers you have the triangle of choice: cost / abdl look and feel / performance - pick any two or combination thereof. Cushies are high on look/feel, and are a compromise on cost and performance, leaning more toward lower cost than better performance.

So if you need a diaper that you can use moderately or more with confidence, need a diaper you can wear in public discretely, or want a fairly comfortable diaper, they're not a good choice. Otherwise, go for it.

Like with any new diaper, I think it's best to go with a sample pack before you dive in on something experience. Since the change in ownership, ABU is great to deal with and they've made an effort to improve the capacity of their play diapers up to the point where I see no reason for complaint. They're cute, the tapes work great, the plastic feels nice, and if they fit your body type, they do a god job. For capacity, the space diapers will be available pretty soon and I don't think anyone will be disappointed by those.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to wait a little while longer, I do kind of like the space diaper. But I do still really like the cloth backed cushies. Capacity is not a big concern of mine, look and feel is important, as well as the cloth backed ones seem like they are re-tape-able which is a big plus in my environment. I can't ship directly to my house, so my usual option is the UPS store, they charge $5 per package, so I would probably not get a sample pack and just go for the home run and buy a half case of either the space or cloth backed. or mabye both if they can ship in one box.

Cottontail said:
Absorbency-wise, they're certainly not going to win awards, but they're decent. I wore them long enough to empty my bladder a couple of times, and had no leaks, though the diapers were clearly "full" at that point. Like you, I'm mostly an in-the-bedroom, around-the-house type of guy, so capacity isn't my number-one concern.

Apparently they're upping the absorbency by a good amount on the Cushies and others.
"Third Announcement: Absorbency Increases
SDKs/Cushies/Cloth Backed Cushies silently received a 20% absorbency increase over the past few months. Our inventory is more absorbent than ever!"

From the email they sent me.

- - - Updated - - -

MickeyM said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to wait a little while longer, I do kind of like the space diaper. But I do still really like the cloth backed cushies.

The Space Diaper looks cool and the rated absorbency sounds awesome, in the mean time though some Cushies could tide you over until the Space Diapers release.

They are one of da best diapees ever! So go try them like no tmrw!! >w <

upping the capacity on the diaper won't help much if they don't work on the leaks and poor wicking. All that will end up doing is making the padding thicker, while adding no other additional benefits. That by itself is an improvement in most cases, but not the improvement I think most people will be expecting.

My question is have they cleaned up their act since a few years ago when they apparently had some moral falling outs.

HokieABDL said:
My question is have they cleaned up their act since a few years ago when they apparently had some moral falling outs.

YES!! Very big yes to that question! The owners before just flat out did not care. The new owner(s) and employees are all AB/DL and care about the community very much! If you have a problem or concern ask them and you will get a reply promptly. Seriously a night and day difference between the old and the new Abuniverse.

- - - Updated - - -

MickeyM said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to wait a little while longer, I do kind of like the space diaper. But I do still really like the cloth backed cushies. Capacity is not a big concern of mine, look and feel is important, as well as the cloth backed ones seem like they are re-tape-able which is a big plus in my environment. I can't ship directly to my house, so my usual option is the UPS store, they charge $5 per package, so I would probably not get a sample pack and just go for the home run and buy a half case of either the space or cloth backed. or mabye both if they can ship in one box.

I think you should try them! If a goodnite will last you long enough through "diaper time" then you should not have any issues with Cushies lasting. Double the absorbency of a goodnite (maybe 3x) and you have the capacity of a Cushie. Also the leak guards are really tall so you can add a booster as needed, Abena abri-let booster pads fit in between the guards perfectly and not only add capacity but also bulk. As for the tapes on the cloth-backed they are great, I have put one on/taken off a few times & have had no issues.

I've finally done it. Placed the order for 40 Cloth backed cushies. I might of gotten the plastic backed ones, but I like the idea of the cloth ones for more reasons. I'll try plastic backed ones in the future though!
It was expensive =S
I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive at the place I'm picking them up. No way I can have them at my door lol. I get demanded to open packages. Imagine, opening the box to reveal baby themed adult diapers to my parents.
Fears aside, I'm elated. I can't wait. The last time I had an adult sized diaper on was when I was 18, Some random guy on the net/DPF brought me them lol. Dang I can't believe it's been that long, I still remember those diapers.

Today is such a momentous day. It's the day I FINALLY am wearing a Freakin awesome adult baby diaper. These are so cool I can't begin to explain it. It's a dream come true.

I was worried about my choice of the cloth backed. But I love these, nice and soft and not too loud.
I'm sitting in the chair with it and it seems to help with my back pain lol. It's helping to support some of my weight.

The only issues I have are that I probably would prefer two tapes, Wish it had elastic in the waist since its a bit lose.
It kind of feels a bit awkward some how, it might be because my legs are thick and fatty. This pretty much my first diaper in forever, Any tips?

MickeyM said:
The only issues I have are that I probably would prefer two tapes, Wish it had elastic in the waist since its a bit lose.
It kind of feels a bit awkward some how, it might be because my legs are thick and fatty. This pretty much my first diaper in forever, Any tips?

Sorry, cushies and their model are NOT known for a good fit for most. Single tapes, and lack of front/rear elastic make it difficult to get the best you can, and just doesn't have enough flex and give to allow much comfortable movement.

On your next order, definitely try their Space Diapers

Well, despite the shortcomings, I think these are super cool. I got 40 of em lol. The little paws interest me more then the space diapers which I also assume should be of the same quality.
Bye the time they have cases of those I'll probably be in need of more stock.
These seem pretty thirsty, I drank like a days worth of water, most of it is out and still got room.. and I have diarrhea again and really wanna go, but can't =( want these to last at least 12h I'm at home.
I also find them to be a little noisy when not used, once used mine quieted down, also if you look closely you would notice that I'm wearing something. Still undecided if I can get away with wearing around parents. I could wear outside, since I would have a coat on to hide the bulge, but It's been unseasonably warm.
I'm so happy, I'm glad I was convinced to get these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back