"I Kissed a Girl, and I Liked It"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daria7483

I was curious what everyone's thoughts are about the song "I Kissed a Girl" by Kate Perry. For those of you not familiar with the song, it's sung by a woman describing how she kissed a girl at a party and enjoyed it, even though she has a boyfriend and is straight. You can listen to it here

The song has been very popular this summer because it's very catchy, and it's gotten tons of airplay on the radio stations in my area and everywhere else. When I first heard it I thought it was a pretty catchy and fun song and didn't think much of it beyond that. However, one of my co-workers was telling me that she doesn't want her two daughters (ages 10 and 8) listening to the song and she's annoyed that it's played on local radio even though they're normally pretty heavy-handed with censoring certain things in songs.

After talking to her and hearing her thoughts, I started to agree with her and to think that this song sends out some bad messages as far as gay rights are concerned. A lot of people who do not favor gay marriage and use their selective Bible verse to back up all their opinions make the argument that people who are homosexual choose to be. In the song, the singer makes it pretty clear that she is not gay and was only having fun and that's just "what girls do." I would describe her as bi-curious. And admittedly girls making out seems to have become much more socially acceptable than guys making out, particularly if it is just for fun and there's no really strong underlying sexual attraction, and it's not uncommon on college campuses and in clubs to see girls making out, usually under the influence of alcohol.

So I wonder if a song like this gives momentum to the argument that gay people choose to be gay, because the conservative Christians who I've talked to seem to believe that homosexuality is really what's described in this song: someone making out/having sex with someone else of the same gender just for fun and to be kinky, rather than an inherent internal attraction to people of the same sex.

My co-worker says she doesn't like the song because it's hedonistic; it promotes the idea of making out with someone just to get attention. Of course, there are other songs that do the same, but if a guy wrote a song called "I Kissed a Girl" that was just about making out with a girl, it wouldn't be interesting at all and probably wouldn't soar to the top of the charts. Because it's not interesting and it doesn't have the appeal of something that's somewhat taboo.

I think these quotes on wikipedia pretty much sum up my thoughts: 'AllMusic concludes that, "the problem is not with Katy's gender-bending, it's that her heart isn't in it; she's just using it to get her places, so she sinks to crass, craven depths."[6] Slant Magazine agrees, saying, the song, "isn't problematic because it promotes homosexuality, but because its appropriation of the gay lifestyle exists for the sole purpose of garnering attention—both from Perry's boyfriend and her audience."'

Interestingly, this same singer has another single called "Ur So Gay."

But maybe I'm reading too much into this and it's just a catchy song that will be completely forgotten in a year. Thoughts?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it's overplayed...And I don't think there is much to think into it...

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I love the song..its just overplayed something that annoys the heck out of me
which is why i rarely listen to the radio

Last edited:

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
It a one hit wonder, the song is catchy but people well probably forget about it in a couple mouths.....

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It a one hit wonder, the song is catchy but people well probably forget about it in a couple mouths.....

Actually her song "Hot n Cold" is popular now...So it's not a one hit wonder...

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Actually her song "Hot n Cold" is popular now...So it's not a one hit wonder...
Damn it, I don't listening to pop music that much, and the only reason why I heard this song was because my gf was playing it in the car so yea the song got stuck in my head :(

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Hot n' Cold is a pretty cool song i also like Ur So Gay
somehow she reminds me of Lily Allen..which is a good thing i like her ^^

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
So many girls I've known led a bisexual life in their late teens to early twentys it seems the norm. This song reflects that. It it getting a lot of play in the bars like "I Touch Myself" did, I expect it to follow the same path.

Nam

Role
Diaper Lover
I personally despise the song. I think its annoying, and the fact its overplayed only plays into that.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's funny that this is your interpretation of how "conservative Christians" view it, though most of the criticism I've heard about it has been railing against it for promoting homosexuality.

Personally, I don't think there is any deep message (positive or negative) about homosexuality in the song. It's just a song. I find it kind of disturbing that people seem to have taken and run with it and there is actually a controversy over it. I mean, sure art can contain a subtle or deep message, but I don't see any such thing in this song, and franky I find it hard to take any such argument about it seriously.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
It's funny that this is your interpretation of how "conservative Christians" view it, though most of the criticism I've heard about it has been railing against it for promoting homosexuality.

Personally, I don't think there is any deep message (positive or negative) about homosexuality in the song. It's just a song. I find it kind of disturbing that people seem to have taken and run with it and there is actually a controversy over it. I mean, sure art can contain a subtle or deep message, but I don't see any such thing in this song, and franky I find it hard to take any such argument about it seriously.

Simple fact of life, people complain about EVERYTHING.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
She's this years tatu. Give it 12 months and people won't remember who this silly girl is because, like cheap gum, the flavor will have long worn off.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I really like Ur So Gay.

Erm - I do think this song will be forgotten in a few years.

As for me liking it, I think it's a catchy tune for sure! And to be totally honest, I'm straight, and I've kissed almost all of my friends at parties, made out with them, ate food from their breasts, silly things like that. It's just a fun thing to do. I don't think it has anything to do with gay rights, nor do I think that makes her bi-curious.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You need to invite me to one of your parties sometime :smile1:. Sorry, someone had to say it :p.

But yeah, it's just a silly thing like that. It's become pretty socially acceptable. When I was in high school I knew girls who would kiss to tease the guys hehe.

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer
I really hate this song. No matter where I go this song is always on. It's annoying and wayyy overplayed. Sure I liked it at first but after hearing it 20 gazillion times no. I'd much rather listen to Soulja Boy and I dispise that.

Role
Private
Not my type of music at all. I don't care about the undercurrent of lesbian motif that's present in it, I just don't like how it sounds.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
In probably 10 or 15 years from now, people well be using this song as the new "rickroll" lol

Role
Diaper Lover
I like it, somewhat. I listened to every country song made in the past year or so, and I still like all of them.

Fail at thinking Homosexuality is a choice.

I never knew there were so many Bi Chicks. I want.

Noh, I just referenced how many times I heard those, didn't think those got old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.