I inadvertently saw someone with a massive diaper bulge and now I’m worried that’s what I look like.

enthusi

Young at heart, slightly older in other places.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I was recently out and about, and I spotted a middle-aged who clearlyhad some developmental delays. He was sitting in a wheelchair and as we neared each other it couldn't help but notice a massive diaper bulge under his jeans. I wasn’t trying to gawk. It was that obvious.

Now I’m left wondering if that’s how my crotch looks to other people, and I never realized it. It’s kind of like how our eyes are trained to block out our noses, even though our nose is in our field of view the entire time. Then again I’ve been wearing for years and nobody has ever said anything. So if it is that obvious, then so be it.

Has anyone else been surprised to find they hand an obvious diaper bulge or other clear indicator that they didn’t notice until they saw themselves from a different angle?

(I can snap a pic, but I didn’t want it to be mistaken as a crotch shot, which technically it is, but not that type of crotch shot.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyGirl91, Alexandra76082, sport1 and 7 others
We're probably a bit more inclined to notice than the general population and, on the evidence of your concern, you are likely to be more discreet than this gentleman.

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks and 8 others
Anemone said:
We're probably a bit more inclined to notice than the general population and, on the evidence of your concern, you are likely to be more discreet than this gentleman.
this exactly
Most people wont be staring at your crotch

• Haha
Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, Alexandra76082 and 4 others
Diaper bulge within the crotch region is commonly effected by sagging and enhanced when sitting, especially in a wheelchair.

Commonly the greater the capacity of the diaper, the larger its overall size. If you are sizing your diaper based how long you will be out and about you will likely not select the high capacity diaper that the individual was wearing.

And, as so well stated above by Anemone, you are more discreet as those of us wearing know what to look for, where the average individual has their eyes affected to their phones.

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, TeddyBunny and 6 others
Noticing is subjective... as a diaper wearer I am self conscious about it myself.. and have seen people in wheelchairs.. they tend to wear more absorbant, as it is harder to change.. I've also seen walking.adults with a bulge.. but a lot of times it's just common courtesy not to say anything.. if a kid shouts it out in the middle of the store.. then you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyGirl91, Angelapinks, TeddyBunny and 5 others
Anemone said:
We're probably a bit more inclined to notice than the general population
Normally I’d agree, but I in this case the guy’s diaper was blatant. As others have said it probably was made worse by sitting in a wheelchair.

What I would say is that even if people look at the guy and say, “immediately recognize the diaper bulge” they will promptly forget in two seconds. I presume the same would go for me.

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, LifeGoesOn223 and 2 others
Yes, wheelchairs either draw attention or individuals look away! Regardless, as you stated the vast majority go on about their day, seconds later!

So, I guess that you fully agree?

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
enthusi said:
Normally I’d agree, but I in this case the guy’s diaper was blatant. As others have said it probably was made worse by sitting in a wheelchair.

What I would say is that even if people look at the guy and say, “immediately recognize the diaper bulge” they will promptly forget in two seconds. I presume the same would go for me.

I wonder if many people would make the connection bulge-nappy-shrug or just go straight to disinterest without considering the cause.

We, likewise parents and carers, are probably more likely to think in terms of it being a nappy because we spend so much more time thinking about nappies than others.

Much in the same way that some people notice and remember what shoes people wear, others amongst us are quite oblivious to such things.

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, TeddyBunny and 2 others
I wore for the first time in public with a real abdl diaper yesterday. It felt massive and I was waddling no matter how hard I tried. I was at the mall with all of the abandoned shops. So I looked in the window reflection to see myself. I appeared to have a bigger butt and bigger crotch under my baggy clothes. I just appeared to have wider hips and was fatter than I am. I see quite a few men my age who look like this in the army. I know with almost certainty that they aren’t wearing while in uniform. It was only me that could tell because I knew. Anyone else seeing me who didn’t previously know me wouldn’t know any different. Even if I bumped into someone I knew. They wouldn’t likely notice. They really wouldn’t be looking that closely. It is such an odd thing to take notice of. They may think I’ve gained weight but they wouldn’t think for a moment that I was wearing a diaper.

Reactions: ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher, Kellycares and 3 others
When I bend down my top always comes up how do not get noticed

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
To answer your question pjdjs my 'top' for casual attire is always a onesie so bending down in public is never a problem.

The best checking 'mirror' I ever had was my wife (RIP).
The next best mirror I have, is the large glass type at home, as this is the last visual scan I can do before going out of the house, (plus some shop reflective surfaces for some quick self reviews).

The second last thing that I want is: to draw the wrong sort of attention to myself, as nappies are my only underwear now.
The last thing I want to do is to go back to the daily scrubbing of brown stained, regular cloth underwear.

If I ever have seen someone else in public showing signs of nappy wearing, I must have immediately forgotten all about it, because I don't remember ever seeing anyone.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, diapeybabybrian, chuck and 2 others
enthusi said:
I was recently out and about, and I spotted a middle-aged who clearlyhad some developmental delays. He was sitting in a wheelchair and as we neared each other it couldn't help but notice a massive diaper bulge under his jeans. I wasn’t trying to gawk. It was that obvious.

Now I’m left wondering if that’s how my crotch looks to other people, and I never realized it. It’s kind of like how our eyes are trained to block out our noses, even though our nose is in our field of view the entire time. Then again I’ve been wearing for years and nobody has ever said anything. So if it is that obvious, then so be it.

Has anyone else been surprised to find they hand an obvious diaper bulge or other clear indicator that they didn’t notice until they saw themselves from a different angle?

(I can snap a pic, but I didn’t want it to be mistaken as a crotch shot, which technically it is, but not that type of crotch shot.)
The described scenario is incomplete to evaluate properly. What we do know is this person is an adult male, who is disabled enough to be confined to a wheelchair, has developmental delays, and is obviously diapered. What we don't know is his size, if he had a caretaker, if he is wearing cloth or disposable, and if he is overly diapered. All are important considerations towards his appearance, which helps you figure out if wearing a diaper is always evident.

Regarding developmental delays, if he is incapable of caring for himself, then the brunt of his care falls on another. If this adult male is full sized, then he would be difficult to manage for diaper changes outside of facilities that allow removing him from his wheelchair. Over diapering him would remove any need for a diaper change when out and about.

If he does not need a caretaker, but finds changing difficult outside of his normal place, then he may over diaper to avoid needing to change while out and about. Why would he sense embarrassment regarding his appearance for something he has done all his life.

Over diapering is extremely evident, but when you're seriously disabled there is the balance of appearance and convenience. Changing for appearance when there are so many other issues going on, makes diaper bulge irrelevant. If I need to call 911 while double diapered in cloth for bedtime, I'm not going to wait and change into a "svelte" MegaMax first.

As you don't know what he was wearing exactly, and you don't state what you normally wear when out and about, it's hard to know what we are comparing. I will assume that as seeing this man's obvious diaper bulge alarmed you, you're probably very careful about what you wear and the state of your diaper throughout the day. So chances are, no one would notice that you wear.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, babyscotty37, ShyGirl91 and 4 others
Last time I was in the supermarket I seen somebody with an obvious intellectual disability with an obvious padded bum wearing swear pants. Sweat pants are bad for hiding IC nappies. Being in a wheelchair would be worse. We being apart of the AB/DL community do notice sooner when people are wearing mind you.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Happy2BeInNappies2 and 1 other person
Being IC and diapered 24/7, I sometimes look for what I consider an obvious diaper. As noted, there are plenty of disabled people who are wearing a diaper, whether they are mobile or not. Being IC myself, I always try to wear appropriate clothing and be discrete. I've seen all types of diapered people. I remember a few years back, I saw a guy who appeared to be "normal" and not being disabled. And he was wearing a MASSIVE diaper bulge. It was so obvious there was no way to not seeing it. I'm not talking about just a large and visible diaper. It was completely weird for anyone who was seeing it. I figured he must be a DL and was an exhibitionist. No other reason. I've seen funny things everywhere. But this one was beyond amusing.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, surprise35 and 1 other person
Honestly it was probably noticeable because he can’t diaper himself. We can put our diapers on and adjust to make them less notable, he can’t.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 1 other person
If your wearing due to IC I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I know we want to be as discreet as possible but a diaper is a lot more discreet than wet pants

Reactions: Diprs2, ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher and 5 others
enthusi said:

A wise young lady told me years ago when she inadvertently realised I was wearing a nappy under my shorts that a persons underwear is none of anyone else's business ...

I am sure .... as I mainly only ever wear a thick cloth nappy and plastic pants that sometimes when I am out and have wet myself several times .. my nappy will bulk up and also sag .. so I have no doubt some would notice my nappy ... but so what ... no one has ever really said anything...

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Lyric, ShyGirl91 and 6 others
enthusi said:

You most likely noticed it on him because you were paying attention. He is in a wheelchair and anything different will catch our attention. People who are obviously different get lots of looks. That is because humans are curious.

If you are able bodied and come off as neurotypical, people are not going to notice you are wearing a diaper because they are not paying attention.

Reactions: Diprs2, ShyGirl91, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
Seeing a fellow wearer always make me check my butt as I value my privacy as much as I respect others, discretion is paramount in all Nappy related matters.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Yes, I’ve been surprised by my wet nappy bulge a couple of times when seeing my reflection in shop windows, usually on the way to the bathroom to change. You probably wouldn’t equate the crotch bulge with diaper use unless I was wearing my pants ridiculously high, but the back of my nappy can give my rear end a pretty tell-tale sag in tighter pants, even when using plastic pants and a onesie.

Reactions: Diprs2, 247 and Edgewater
Back