I have nerve damage... so is my FI permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joannelikmaf

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
If you have nerve damage is it permanent? Is this for life?

Some nerve damage may be for live some may not be. Like @DanielW said, your neurologist is the one that can answer your question. The nerve damage I have causing me to be incontinent can't be fixed/healed, but the nerve damage I have/had in my shoulder was fixed.

I have a medical procedure done, on the nerves in my neck that transmit the pain, called a radio frequency ablation. It basically cauterizes the nerves and it last between 6-18 months depending on the individual. For me it’s about 12 months before the nerves have regenerated enough to be a problem. Nerves other that spinal cord nerves can regenerate, but this all depends on what caused their failure in first place. DanielW is right about seeing a neurologist, there are so many factors in play as to whether they will regenerate or not. I ran a piece of glass tubing through the end of my index finger trying to get it out of a rubber stopper in Physical Chemistry lab. It took 14 stitches to close it up and I had no feeling in it for about 2-1/2 years and then those nerves began to regenerate. I’m truly glad that they did as I couldn’t work a touch pad with that figure to save myself and I hated the numbness. Now, a little over 2 decades later, it’s back to it’s pre-puncture status again. Hope you have the same experience with the nerves causing your IC.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Zeke said:
I have a medical procedure done, on the nerves in my neck that transmit the pain, called a radio frequency ablation. It basically cauterizes the nerves and it last between 6-18 months depending on the individual. For me it’s about 12 months before the nerves have regenerated enough to be a problem. Nerves other that spinal cord nerves can regenerate, but this all depends on what caused their failure in first place. is right about seeing a neurologist, there are so many factors in play as to whether they will regenerate or not. I ran a piece of glass tubing through the end of my index finger trying to get it out of a rubber stopper in Physical Chemistry lab. It took 14 stitches to close it up and I had no feeling in it for about 2-1/2 years and then those nerves began to regenerate. I’m truly glad that they did as I couldn’t work a touch pad with that figure to save myself and I hated the numbness. Now, a little over 2 decades later, it’s back to it’s pre-puncture status again. Hope you have the same experience with the nerves causing your IC.
Nerves are a funny ting sometimes the bounce back others not so much. I had my B12 get dangerous low for about 5 years before found. Besides neuropathy all over. I was having symptoms that looked just like Parkinson. like I lost track of what I was talking about mid sentence. Just like our President sleepy JOE It is a scary and not a fun thing to keep loosing tract of what you say and have to ask what was we talking about. My mom died of Parkinson's and so did my dads mom but much later in life. I went to a neurologist he found the issue was low low low B12 boosted my b12 and now I take b 12 shots every month. Much of my neuropathy has improved but much is their to stay . The B12 protects your nerves. you stomach makes some chemical that the b12 binds with and then your intestine absorbs the chemical mad in your stomach catching the B12. But mine don't make the chemical so I cant even take a b12 vitamin it has to be a injection.

Also any vegans on the site B12 comes from the lining of the gut of animals. You can get it lab grown and take in a pill form. if you don't have what I have, It is called pernicious anemia. otherwise you can inject it. If you don't have this disease it takes years even for vegans to decrease b12 counts because if everything works right you are just recirculating the B12in your system from over 20 years ago. One study I read said one slice of cheese is enough b12 for 10 years in a normal person,. But with pernicious anemia it goes straight though you and it is vital to your nerves and making the lining that protects them. I am not a diabetic I have neuropathy in my hands arm all down my right leg and foot, Then my entire bicycle seat area stays numb too. even up the shaft can get numb on certain days. Most doctors do not check for this and it is easy miss. so anyone having nerve issues get a simple blood test to see. epically if it is messing with your speech and cognitive thinking. Here I thought I had early age Parkinsons and it was low b 12. But It caused permanent damage. I developed gastroparesis a few years back. We are thinking it might of affected that vegus nerve that controls your stomach. Now life will never be the same I throw up daily loosing weight been in hospital 5 times this year alone no ER visits but 5 to 7 day stays all of them. Now they want to give me a permanent feeding tube. It all depends how long a nerve has been pinched or the coating damaged. But a neurologist is for sure who you want. He found my low B12 the first visit. But so may things can cause neuropathy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pino and Zeke
Diaperman95 said:
Nerves are a funny ting sometimes the bounce back others not so much. I had my B12 get dangerous low for about 5 years before found. Besides neuropathy all over. I was having symptoms that looked just like Parkinson. like I lost track of what I was talking about mid sentence. Just like our President sleepy JOE It is a scary and not a fun thing to keep loosing tract of what you say and have to ask what was we talking about. My mom died of Parkinson's and so did my dads mom but much later in life. I went to a neurologist he found the issue was low low low B12 boosted my b12 and now I take b 12 shots every month. Much of my neuropathy has improved but much is their to stay . The B12 protects your nerves. you stomach makes some chemical that the b12 binds with and then your intestine absorbs the chemical mad in your stomach catching the B12. But mine don't make the chemical so I cant even take a b12 vitamin it has to be a injection.

Also any vegans on the site B12 comes from the lining of the gut of animals. You can get it lab grown and take in a pill form. if you don't have what I have, It is called pernicious anemia. otherwise you can inject it. If you don't have this disease it takes years even for vegans to decrease b12 counts because if everything works right you are just recirculating the B12in your system from over 20 years ago. One study I read said one slice of cheese is enough b12 for 10 years in a normal person,. But with pernicious anemia it goes straight though you and it is vital to your nerves and making the lining that protects them. I am not a diabetic I have neuropathy in my hands arm all down my right leg and foot, Then my entire bicycle seat area stays numb too. even up the shaft can get numb on certain days. Most doctors do not check for this and it is easy miss. so anyone having nerve issues get a simple blood test to see. epically if it is messing with your speech and cognitive thinking. Here I thought I had early age Parkinsons and it was low b 12. But It caused permanent damage. I developed gastroparesis a few years back. We are thinking it might of affected that vegus nerve that controls your stomach. Now life will never be the same I throw up daily loosing weight been in hospital 5 times this year alone no ER visits but 5 to 7 day stays all of them. Now they want to give me a permanent feeding tube. It all depends how long a nerve has been pinched or the coating damaged. But a neurologist is for sure who you want. He found my low B12 the first visit. But so may things can cause neuropathy.
Very informative. I’m a Cheesehead from the Badger state so I eat plenty of cheese, besides which I take a B complex supplement daily. I know what you mean about the hamster falling off the conversational wheel mid sentence. After my seizure it’s taken over 6 years for me to be able to regain the ability to maintain stream of thought and now age is beginning to stall out my recovery. It sounds like you’re on top of your condition and dealing with it as well as possible. It often amazes me that our bodies can get all the necessary ingredients that they need to function from what we eat. The idea that the energy source our cells use, ADP (adenosine triphosphate), is manufactured, and used, at such a scale daily that it’s equal to half our body weight has always blown me away. Where do all the materials come from? Of course the human body is a far better recycler of materials than is the human. Stay well.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
Simple answer: Consult with your neurologist or if you don't have one, get one. Even if someone on this thread is an MD or DO, they wouldn't venture an opinion without an examination and medical history.

Reactions: Zeke
Zeke said:
I have a medical procedure done, on the nerves in my neck that transmit the pain, called a radio frequency ablation. It basically cauterizes the nerves and it last between 6-18 months depending on the individual. For me it’s about 12 months before the nerves have regenerated enough to be a problem. Nerves other that spinal cord nerves can regenerate, but this all depends on what caused their failure in first place. DanielW is right about seeing a neurologist, there are so many factors in play as to whether they will regenerate or not. I ran a piece of glass tubing through the end of my index finger trying to get it out of a rubber stopper in Physical Chemistry lab. It took 14 stitches to close it up and I had no feeling in it for about 2-1/2 years and then those nerves began to regenerate. I’m truly glad that they did as I couldn’t work a touch pad with that figure to save myself and I hated the numbness. Now, a little over 2 decades later, it’s back to it’s pre-puncture status again. Hope you have the same experience with the nerves causing your IC.
I have had the same procedure on my back 8 times over 10 years or so and the nerves they burned regrew again inside of 8 months but the doctor kept asking me if I experienced any urological problems before each procedure. after about the third time I asked why and he said sometimes the nerves don't re-grow and you can loose the feeling of needing to pee. I asked if that happened what next and he kind of said we may find another procedure but he was not very direct. The last time I talked with his nurse after number 8 I told her I was having some trouble wetting with out feeling it. She said she would tell the doctor. That was two years ago and he has not called back but then Covid hit us so I don't know if that is why. I will wait awhile longer and call him but as of now I still have no pain in my back so that is good as it was once the worst thing you could ever experience. I have also injured my neck a few years ago and the pain is getting very bad now. My doctor told me he could do the same thing on my neck but I was nervous being so close to my spine but if it is working for you I may go for that as well.

Reactions: Zeke
Angelapinks said:
I have had the same procedure on my back 8 times over 10 years or so and the nerves they burned regrew again inside of 8 months but the doctor kept asking me if I experienced any urological problems before each procedure. after about the third time I asked why and he said sometimes the nerves don't re-grow and you can loose the feeling of needing to pee. I asked if that happened what next and he kind of said we may find another procedure but he was not very direct. The last time I talked with his nurse after number 8 I told her I was having some trouble wetting with out feeling it. She said she would tell the doctor. That was two years ago and he has not called back but then Covid hit us so I don't know if that is why. I will wait awhile longer and call him but as of now I still have no pain in my back so that is good as it was once the worst thing you could ever experience. I have also injured my neck a few years ago and the pain is getting very bad now. My doctor told me he could do the same thing on my neck but I was nervous being so close to my spine but if it is working for you I may go for that as well.
My physician did the procedure twice on each side of my neck with lidocaine to insure that I got relief from those nerves being numbed and that he could hit the nerves successfully twice in a row. The third time on each side is when he preformed the radio frequency ablation procedure to cauterize the nerves. It’s worked well for me for 5 times on each side or 5 years. It has given me a lot of relief and reduced my morphine usage from 225 mg daily to 45 mg and my hydrocodone from 50 mg daily down to 4 Tylenol #3 so I’m very thankful for this procedure.

Frungie said:
Simple answer: Consult with your neurologist or if you don't have one, get one. Even if someone on this thread is an MD or DO, they wouldn't venture an opinion without an examination and medical history.
Nail on the head!
But a real doctor not Not the creepy guy with the old ran down RV down by tje park that says he can cure aids for 100 bicks. I know that sounds bad bit i just watched a documentary on a guy like that and je was running peoples bloods in a ozone maschine amd not clwaning tje maxhine then running a person that had a caugh through the same dirty machine. The dude passed on several cases of hiv and hepititest. He was cutting out peoples moles and shit. Advertised on FB to low income peple. claimed he was some former military treachous specialiist or something.

So dont be a victim go see a real doctor. The sooner the better. The longer nerves are compressed or damaged the longer for them to heal and they may never heal if you wait to long.

Diaperman95 said:
Nail on the head!
But a real doctor not Not the creepy guy with the old ran down RV down by tje park that says he can cure aids for 100 bicks. I know that sounds bad bit i just watched a documentary on a guy like that and je was running peoples bloods in a ozone maschine amd not clwaning tje maxhine then running a person that had a caugh through the same dirty machine. The dude passed on several cases of hiv and hepititest. He was cutting out peoples moles and shit. Advertised on FB to low income peple. claimed he was some former military treachous specialiist or something.

So dont be a victim go see a real doctor. The sooner the better. The longer nerves are compressed or damaged the longer for them to heal and they may never heal if you wait to long.
And if you have any doubts about the first physician’s diagnosis seek a second, even third opinion from other qualified doctors. The field of medicine is so complex that often what one doctor doesn’t know maybe something the next doctor may. Hopefully you’ll find one that knows your condition and has a treatment for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaperman95 and Angelapinks
Zeke said:
And if you have any doubts about the first physician’s diagnosis seek a second, even third opinion from other qualified doctors. The field of medicine is so complex that often what one doctor doesn’t know maybe something the next doctor may. Hopefully you’ll find one that knows your condition and has a treatment for it.
yes that is for sure and true with any health issues. Don't take one persons word for life changing illnesses. I getting ready to have my doctor send me to my 3rd gastro doctor. Because this guy just wants to put a feeding tube in me and I want to try a gastric stimulator first. he told me he would do one if I got worse then after 5 hospital stays this year he said no they just don't work but maybe 30% of the time. So I said I would like to try it because it is a small surgery and not real invasive and if it works I wont need the other. I will be happy to do a tube if nothing else works and I have no choice. But Drs do thousands of theses every year. The issue is he doesn't do them. But you are right don't settle for what one tells you. Medicine changes daily and new procedures and drugs come out all the time. Drs are human and cant keep up with all of it.

Joannelikmaf said:
If you have nerve damage is it permanent? Is this for life?
Like everyone here, doctors will help (mostly). Each situation is different. Will you be permanent? Can't say. I'm not your doctor. But for myself, I've little chance to get better. Maybe even worse. I never say to forget it. Never. But for over the last 6 years, I'm getting better to except it. I have other issues than IC. It's just the most obvious. My advice is to try to keep an even level. Not too low or too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back