"I Have A Dream"-MLK vs. Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
I wanted to test the waters a bit and see what others thought.

As most of us remember from MLK's speech, his "dream" that he has is about how he wishes how his children can be judged not by their skin color (as was the practice of the day), but by the content of their character.

I was wondering...with the way that the media has groomed us to speak about Barack Obama's presidential run ("the first black president..."), is this really a step backwards? Would MLK be rolling over in his grave every time he heard the term "Barack Obama....first black nominee/candidate/President". How ironic Obama chose the anniversary of MLK's speech to accept the nomination in the football stadium.

Why? It all seems like a rush to judgement to judge Obama based solely on his race (and to be technical, he is mixed-race...), rather than talk a little bit about his politics first, like Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Mike Gravel, Chris Dodd, Joe Biden, John McCain, Dr. Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Fred Thompson, and Rudy Giuliani. (isn't Ralph Nader hopelessly running again too?) This is a double standard. Didn't we try for years to break down these double standards to include everyone?

It's not fair and rather insulting that the media holds Obama's race above his political views (wouldn't that be influenced by someone's character?). Did we reject Hillary because she was a woman? No...it's because she was a Clinton. :laugh:

Role
Other
People talk about Obama's race first, because as a politician they have no idea what he is going to do. He is for "Hope" and "Change." Can anyone tell me what the heck that means, because he certainly isn't. I'm for "Hope" and "Change" too. I hope I find a winning lottery ticket and I need to change my diaper. I also hope that his "Hope" and "Change" are different than mine.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
People talk about Obama's race first, because as a politician they have no idea what he is going to do. He is for "Hope" and "Change." Can anyone tell me what the heck that means, because he certainly isn't. I'm for "Hope" and "Change" too. I hope I find a winning lottery ticket and I need to change my diaper. I also hope that his "Hope" and "Change" are different than mine.
Well, you're really fond of pointing out that Obama doesn't actually tell you want he plans to do, so I'm going to go ahead and give you a list that hopefully you find complete enough to stop using the same god d**n point over and over again. I'll even try and make it look nice and compare it to McCain's plans.

Energy
Obama wants to promote renewable energy and increase production of it so that by 2025, 25% of the nations electricity comes from said renewable resources.

McCain wants to spend that money looking for more places to dig for oil, and with his Alaskan VP choice, probably in the gulf and in the national wilderness of Alaska.

Health Care
Obama wants to create a program that offers a health plan similar to the current government plan to everyone, with cheap payments and is paid for partially by the government.

John McCain wants to make things more affordable by promoting competition between insurance companies.

Immigration

Barack Obama believes that making it easier to get into the country legally will help the problem, along with making it possible (but not easy) to pursue citizenship if you're an illegal immigrant in good standing with the country.

John McCain wants to build a friggin' wall! I'm trying to keep my cool, but if any GOP member thinks that building a wall is going to work, they're moronic. It's a wall....... walls are made to go around, over, under, through, etc... There has got to be a better way than mortar and brick. Let's go ask the Soviets how well their wall worked.

And for the final kicker... this issue is another huge issue that makes a candidate:
Iraq.

The Iraqi PM has decreed that the US be out of Iraq in a matter of years, but John McCain would like to ignore that date and occupy a country against its wishes. He also feels Iran is a viable threat to national security and is willing to push diplomacy aside quicker than Obama. All Obama wants to do is get our people out of there: the majority of citizens of our country and the Iraqi people want just that. He believes that Iran can be dealt with without violence and declared Iran "not-a-threat."

I do support Obama, and I do know what he wants to do. Just because you don't pay attention to anyone but your own candidates views doesn't mean there aren't any.

To the OP: Race is a huge issue, but any political party that attacks that issue would lose anyways. I think to many liberals, this election is a change to show the world that we're more enlightened than they think. Anyone not voting for Obama based on color is...yes, I'm going to say it, a complete idiot and should probably not pass his genes on.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
Anytime the status quo isn't going so good, "hope and change" is the basic platform the opposition party runs on. The strange part here is that 2008 is the first time since 1952 that the White House has had no incumbents whatsoever.

The best examples of these platforms being used would be the Republicans taking the White House from Jimmy Carter after a single term in 1980, and the Democrats doing so to George H. Bush in 1992.

Personally, although I find that Barack Obama is certainly a well-spoken man who is going places in life, I just can't agree with his politics.

On the other hand, even Ronald Reagan himself started out as a Democrat before the party of AuH20 (Barry Goldwater, who was succeeded in the Senate by none other than John McCain) wised him up in 1962.

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
Other
Well, you're really fond of pointing out that Obama doesn't actually tell you want he plans to do, so I'm going to go ahead and give you a list that hopefully you find complete enough to stop using the same god d**n point over and over again. I'll even try and make it look nice and compare it to McCain's plans.

Energy
Obama wants to promote renewable energy and increase production of it so that by 2025, 25% of the nations electricity comes from said renewable resources.
That's great. How does he plan on doing it?

McCain wants to spend that money looking for more places to dig for oil, and with his Alaskan VP choice, probably in the gulf and in the national wilderness of Alaska.
I'd like to point out that until we have all these new nifty ways to move our cars around, we need more oil that doesn't come from overseas.

Health Care
Obama wants to create a program that offers a health plan similar to the current government plan to everyone, with cheap payments and is paid for partially by the government.
Paid for "partially by the government" means paid for by the people that pay taxes. The Government doesn't really have money, it is taxes people to get it, so where is this tax money going to come from?

John McCain wants to make things more affordable by promoting competition between insurance companies.
Competition should drive prices down, but to be honest I don't think this will work. It is too much like the oil companies, not enough competition.

Immigration

Barack Obama believes that making it easier to get into the country legally will help the problem, along with making it possible (but not easy) to pursue citizenship if you're an illegal immigrant in good standing with the country.
Which part of illegal does he not understand? Why should people that broke the law be rewarded, while people that work within the law be penalized?

John McCain wants to build a friggin' wall! I'm trying to keep my cool, but if any GOP member thinks that building a wall is going to work, they're moronic. It's a wall....... walls are made to go around, over, under, through, etc... There has got to be a better way than mortar and brick. Let's go ask the Soviets how well their wall worked.
I always love the "Soviet Wall" theory. First the "Soviet Wall" where there was one, was to keep people in, not out. Second there wasn't much of a wall.

There was a raid in Mississippi earlier this month, and this quote came out of it.
"We have kids without dads and pregnant mothers who got their husbands taken away," said Velez's son, Robert, youth pastor at the church. "It was like a horror story. They got handled like they were criminals."
They are criminals.

And for the final kicker... this issue is another huge issue that makes a candidate:
Iraq.

The Iraqi PM has decreed that the US be out of Iraq in a matter of years, but John McCain would like to ignore that date and occupy a country against its wishes. He also feels Iran is a viable threat to national security and is willing to push diplomacy aside quicker than Obama. All Obama wants to do is get our people out of there: the majority of citizens of our country and the Iraqi people want just that. He believes that Iran can be dealt with without violence and declared Iran "not-a-threat."
Can you supply a quote of McCain saying that he would stay in Iraq longer than Iraqi government wanted? I looked for one and couldn't find one.

If Obama believes that Iran is not a threat, perhaps he should look at the history of Iran since the fall of the Shah. Perhaps he might want to learn what Iran calls the US. As an example, a few years ago Austria, I think, sold Iran a few hundred sniper rifles. The US requested that they not go through with the sale. Within a few weeks of delivery, at least one of these sniper rifles was captured by the British in Iraq. Iran is "not-a-threat," that is a laugh.

Now having said that, do I think that we should initiate military actions against Iran right now, NO. Should we in the future, I can't say, because the future isn't here. Should we try to deal with them without violence, absolutely. Is that possible, I don't know. But I do know that they pose a threat to America and Americans, how big? That I don't know.

I do support Obama, and I do know what he wants to do. Just because you don't pay attention to anyone but your own candidates views doesn't mean there aren't any.
I have been paying attention, and all I get are vague promises, and no explanations of how he is going to do something, or how he is going to pay for something.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer
If Obama believes that Iran is not a threat, perhaps he should look at the history of Iran since the fall of the Shah. Perhaps he might want to learn what Iran calls the US. As an example, a few years ago Austria, I think, sold Iran a few hundred sniper rifles. The US requested that they not go through with the sale. Within a few weeks of delivery, at least one of these sniper rifles was captured by the British in Iraq. Iran is "not-a-threat," that is a laugh.

Now having said that, do I think that we should initiate military actions against Iran right now, NO. Should we in the future, I can't say, because the future isn't here. Should we try to deal with them without violence, absolutely. Is that possible, I don't know. But I do know that they pose a threat to America and Americans, how big? That I don't know.
That's crap. McCain took his statements out of context. The phrase was, 'tiny compared to the Soviet Union', 'not a threat compared to the Soviet Union.' FactCheck.org: Context Included: Obama on Iran

Role
Other
That's crap. McCain took his statements out of context. The phrase was, 'tiny compared to the Soviet Union', 'not a threat compared to the Soviet Union.' FactCheck.org: Context Included: Obama on Iran
Why the hell are you quoting me about this, I just quoted what handfulofoats said and replied to it. He claimed that
All Obama wants to do is get our people out of there: the majority of citizens of our country and the Iraqi people want just that. He believes that Iran can be dealt with without violence and declared Iran "not-a-threat."
So before you go off on me, you need to make sure what I said, isn't a quote of what someone else said.

weswissa

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy

Energy

Health Care

Immigration

Iraq.

To the OP: Race is a huge issue, but any political party that attacks that issue would lose anyways. I think to many liberals, this election is a change to show the world that we're more enlightened than they think. Anyone not voting for Obama based on color is...yes, I'm going to say it, a complete idiot and should probably not pass his genes on.
You must be a Democrat because you've just bashed the candidate without actually telling what he does just using your own view...

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Now I've gone off on you, Valentine.

Why the hell are you quoting me about this, I just quoted what handfulofoats said and replied to it.

So before you go off on me, you need to make sure what I said, isn't a quote of what someone else said.
I did read what you said. Your inability to understand the implications of your own argument is not my fault. Perhaps you should consider the quote below.

If Obama believes that Iran is not a threat, perhaps he should look at the history of Iran since the fall of the Shah. Perhaps he might want to learn what Iran calls the US.{emphasis added} As an example, a few years ago Austria, I think, sold Iran a few hundred sniper rifles. The US requested that they not go through with the sale. Within a few weeks of delivery, at least one of these sniper rifles was captured by the British in Iraq. Iran is "not-a-threat," that is a laugh. {emphasis added}

You don't know much, do you?

You treated McCain's ad as though it were fact, saying that Obama ignored the history of Iran, as well as current reality, for thinking that Iran wasn't a threat. Since he never actually said that Iran was not a threat, I think it's pretty important to correct that misperception, don't you? You and HandfulofOats both got it wrong, but you were the one who excoriated Obama for positions he doesn't hold. I felt it incumbent upon me to correct that misperception. Laughing at policy positions the candidate doesn't hold only makes you look ignorant.

Last edited:

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
That's great. How does he plan on doing it?
You've walked down a slippery slope and its one the GOP loves you use. Tell me how McCain plans to do all of these things? I don't want a vague answer, I want detail plans in legal writing about his plans, otherwise what you say is just wrong! Isn't that your policy on asking about Obama's plans?

I'd like to point out that until we have all these new nifty ways to move our cars around, we need more oil that doesn't come from overseas.
We have oil. You just don't want to pay as much as you are for it.

Paid for "partially by the government" means paid for by the people that pay taxes. The Government doesn't really have money, it is taxes people to get it, so where is this tax money going to come from?
I don't mind paying an extra 5-10% of my paycheck if it means everyone in the country can have health care. French and the UK have universal health care and there health systems work just as good as ours.

Second there wasn't much of a wall.
What do you mean? The wall went all the way around East Berlin. The US wall is not going to be complete, which again makes me wonder why build it?

"We have kids without dads and pregnant mothers who got their husbands taken away," said Velez's son, Robert, youth pastor at the church. "It was like a horror story. They got handled like they were criminals."
They are criminals.
That's low. Everything you just said lost credibility by telling us that you don't care about the institution of family or that you don't care about other people. Based on GOP policy, homosexuals can't marry, illegal immigrants aren't good people and are criminals without question. Next thing we know it, us AB/DL's are going to be sent to internment camps.

These are people that came to our country seeking a better life and all you want to do is throw them out?

Can you supply a quote of McCain saying that he would stay in Iraq longer than Iraqi government wanted? I looked for one and couldn't find one.
"The best way to secure long-term peace and security is to establish a stable, prosperous, and democratic state in Iraq that poses no threat to its neighbors and contributes to the defeat of terrorists. When Iraqi forces can safeguard their own country, American troops can return home." Pulled from the John McCain website.

The Iraqi government wants us out now, but he thinks they're not ready.

I have been paying attention, and all I get are vague promises, and no explanations of how he is going to do something, or how he is going to pay for something.
That's because you're a Republican, which isn't bad.

You must be a Democrat because you've just bashed the candidate without actually telling what he does just using your own view...
I already said I was, but I didn't post trying to compare two people's arguments. I posted so that a certain someone would stop using the "what is he actually going to do" argument. He still is.

Anyways, I hope we're all able to take everything with a grain of salt. Nothing is personal and its all political. Just keep that in mind that outside this thread, we're all still friends, yeah?

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well, after all of that....you asked if MLK would be rolling over in his grave if Obama got elected. In the late 60's I met with the Black Panters, and I sang in the choir for MLK's national funeral, and yes, I'm white. I was one of those you see in the old news clips fighting for civil rights. You have to look at Obama, and race from the perspective of persecution. One of my best friends in college was a very talented African American. One night we went out to a dinner on Rt. 1, a favorite trucker stop. While eating, we were getting all of these stares and menacing looks from the truckers, and I said to my friend, "What is this all about?" And he said, "You fool. You're eating with a black dude, and you're white."

You can't imagine what it was like back then. If you were a young white guy with long hair, and particularly if you were with a black guy, you could be beaten to death. I know, I experienced that kind of racism. The horrors of slavery changed their shape and form after the Civil War, through the early part of the 20th century, when many black people were taken and hung, until fear spread the message of hate. Now we see how far we have come, and this is a huge message of change, where black people can not only walk down the street and not be intimidated, but can be respected like anyone else.

As for hope and change, I hope we can improve health care and social security. I hope No Child Left Behind can be replaced by something that helps the inner city, and poverty. I teach in an inner city school, and you can't imagine how may times I hear our young kids say that there's no point in studying because they will only wind up in jail as an adult, or die out on the streets. America needs hope, and our children need hope. I hope the change will be meaningful and improve our lives.

But to answer your question, MLK would be very proud, not just of Obama, but of all of us, because we as a nation have made this possible, because we moved on from the rhetoric and hate and violence. Obama is proof of that progress. In a way, you are all responsible.

Role
Other
You've walked down a slippery slope and its one the GOP loves you use. Tell me how McCain plans to do all of these things? I don't want a vague answer, I want detail plans in legal writing about his plans, otherwise what you say is just wrong! Isn't that your policy on asking about Obama's plans?
Very good job of avoiding the question. You should be a politician

We have oil. You just don't want to pay as much as you are for it.
Yes and we should remove more of it from the ground that it is in. Not only would it lower the price of gas and everything else, it would create jobs. And you are right, I do want to pay less for oil and gas.

I don't mind paying an extra 5-10% of my paycheck if it means everyone in the country can have health care. French and the UK have universal health care and there health systems work just as good as ours.
I do. I already pay for things that I don't use, like schools, and welfare, why should I pay more for someone else's medical care, which I already do pay for.

What do you mean? The wall went all the way around East Berlin. The US wall is not going to be complete, which again makes me wonder why build it?
Yep that wall, in the 28 years or so of it's existence only 5000 people made out of East Berlin. Maybe that means that it was a good wall, if it only allows a couple hundred illegal immigrants across a year, that would be a good thing.

That's low. Everything you just said lost credibility by telling us that you don't care about the institution of family or that you don't care about other people. Based on GOP policy, homosexuals can't marry, illegal immigrants aren't good people and are criminals without question. Next thing we know it, us AB/DL's are going to be sent to internment camps.
I care about the law. Nice there trying to say that someone doing something illegal isn't a criminal, and taking the very odd step from arresting lawbreakers to interning AB/DLs (are you sure you aren't a politician?)

A couple of points, I am not a member of the GOP, I am an independent, that oddly has voted for every President except one, I supported Bill & Opus the year they ran. Second during that raid, ICE allowed the mothers of small children to return their homes to take care of their children. Third based upon your statements up there, it can be assumed that you support freeing all felons that have a family.

These are people that came to our country seeking a better life and all you want to do is throw them out?
Yep, if they want to seek a better life here, they can follow the laws like everyone else is supposed to. We have rules for immigration, and there are people out there right now that are following those rules, why should they be penalized for following them? Let me ask you this, what would you do if some homeless person moved into your house and started eating your food, and spending your money? You would call the police on him. That is what these illegal immigrants are doing.

"The best way to secure long-term peace and security is to establish a stable, prosperous, and democratic state in Iraq that poses no threat to its neighbors and contributes to the defeat of terrorists. When Iraqi forces can safeguard their own country, American troops can return home." Pulled from the John McCain website.

The Iraqi government wants us out now, but he thinks they're not ready.
I believe they said 2010 or 2011, not now. While McCain's statement says how long he believes that US Troops should stay in Iraq, he doesn't say that he will keep them there against the Iraqi governments wishes.

That's because you're a Republican, which isn't bad.
Nope, I am independent, as I said before. I vote for who I think will do the best job.

diapermingus, I saw that McCain ad once, and do not remember what it said, I was not basing my reply on it, but on what handfulofoats posted, if you look carefully he posted the "not-a-threat" first and I was quoting him. I based that entire part of the reply on what he said, not some commercial that I barely remember. I am curious as to how many times I will have to say this before you understand it.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Valentine, you're arguing with someone that expects the federal government to go above and beyond their role to protect a percentage of the US population from their own stupidity. While you and I don't want to pay for lazy people's medical bills, retirement, kids, to bail out their mortgages on their McMansions, etc., (primarily because we work hard to have jobs that afford us such things, and show forethought before knocking up someone or maxing out our credit), there are a good amount of people that think we should pay for such things.

This rapid expansion of the heavy hand of government needs to stop, and Barack Obama, in all his unfounded, media and racially driven "change" glory, is the antithesis of that direction.

So is John McCain.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
diapermingus, I saw that McCain ad once, and do not remember what it said, I was not basing my reply on it, but on what handfulofoats posted, if you look carefully he posted the "not-a-threat" first and I was quoting him. I based that entire part of the reply on what he said, not some commercial that I barely remember. I am curious as to how many times I will have to say this before you understand it.
I don't know. If you'd read my post more carefully, you'll understand that I know you were quoting handfulofoats. That's not what I was getting at.

I'll say this once. Obama thinks Iran is a threat. Anything you say to the contrary is putting words in his mouth. Do not criticise him for views he does not hold. Feel free to imply criticism of views he does not hold, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

NEJay, there is so much wrong with what you said that I barely know where to begin. I can only say I hope you never need medical care that you can't afford. Did you make your own way? Did you pay for whatever education you have? Did you go to a private school? Have you ever had to choose between staying out of debt and getting medical care for sick children? Your sense of moral superiority is grotesque. Show some compassion and decency, and recognise that you could not be where you are without the help of other people and, yes, of the government.

'Racially-driven' is a particularly ugly comment. Is there something you'd like to say about Senator Obama? What, exactly, are you trying to say?

I'm done with this thread. It has nothing to do with Martin Luther King, and very little to do with Obama.

Role
Other
I don't know. If you'd read my post more carefully, you'll understand that I know you were quoting handfulofoats. That's not what I was getting at.
If you understood that I was quoting handfulofoats, then why did you bring up an ad and accuse me of basing my answers to handfulofoats on it?

And why did you ignore the first word in my reply:
"If Obama believes that Iran is not a threat,"

I'll say this once. Obama thinks Iran is a threat. Anything you say to the contrary is putting words in his mouth. Do not criticise him for views he does not hold. Feel free to imply criticism of views he does not hold, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
I did not put words in his mouth, I replied to what handfulofoats claimed. Do you understand the difference here? Why aren't you calling him out on putting words in Obama's mouth? It is very hard to take you seriously, since you seem not to be able to understand and comprehend what you read.

I'm done with this thread. It has nothing to do with Martin Luther King, and very little to do with Obama.
It does have to do with you making false accusations about people though.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I made two serious mistakes on these forums in the last few days: one, I misquoted Obama and used what he said out of context for my own needs. Now I look like I'm uneducated because I said something stupid about Iran; two, I kept these arguments going.

The thing about debate is its not about proving the other guy wrong, its about convincing the audience. Me telling you my opinion and you telling me your opinion is about as far as we can go without it turning into a slap fest. Even after all of these, I'm still voting for Obama and the conservatives are voting for McCain.

The argument was frivolous and I knew that. I rose to the challenge only to realize there was no challenge. No one here is worth getting that worked up over when the end result is the exact same as before. Its just not fun anymore when no one gives grounds so I'm walking away from all political discussion.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I admit, watching Obama doing his speech at mile high gave me a bit of a chill. It was seeing history, really.

I don't like Obama because of his policies. But I'm glad he's running. It is telling that a Black man can run in the US and have a very good chance at being president. Honestly, I don't think there's any other nation in the world (asides from perhaps canada) that a minority can run for the highest office. It's especially telling that, with obama being so popular, no European country could elect a minority to high office, much less the presidency or prime ministry.

Obama's running proves how far the US has come from the days of Jim Crow. We still have a long, long way to go before we can genuinely say that race is not a factor in society, but this demonstrates that we are on the right track.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
To be honest, I haven't aid much attention to the news because I don't watch it, so I can't honestly say which candidate I'd like to win(though to be honest, I liked Mike Huckabee as a Republican candidate better than McCain)

What I'd like to do is express what I'd have the next president do while in office:

Energy:

Drill in Alaska as a holdover and start another Ansari X-prize to develop a cheap, reliable, and economical alternative fuel source. I'd replace as many coal-fire plants as I could with nuclear ones and use the millions of dollars a year saved by not having to mine coal to build single-use rockets to blast the nasty by-products to the sun.

Space program:

I have no idea how the government handles the space program, but I'd split NASA into two or three agencies. Why? So that they'll be competitive! With three agencies the competition to create better plastics, fuels, metals, composites, and other neat stuff we depend on in our advanced age will be developed faster and with better quality than ever before. Exploration and exploitation of the solar system will also save our planet from being exhausted of all it's natural resources, and farther planets will bring in rare elements that are hard to find on Earth. Also, increase NASA budget from the measly 0.5*% of the national income to something more substantial. We spend more on the war in Iraq in an hour than NASA does in a month.

Iraq War:

First off, because I know a little bit about the culture of Iraq, I believe it was the wrong time to start a war with them. I am glad we bloodied their noses, but its simply the wrong time to try to get them to accept democracy. We should back out soon and let them solve their own problems. They need to learn to stand on their own two feet.

Illegal Immigration problem:

Building a fence both is and is not the answer. You need to have a way to force the Illegals through your gates, and the way to do that is to make them *want* to go through the legal way. Make the process to become a legal citizen shorter and easier to do than ever before, and give a care package of a few months' worth of food, shelter, and transportation before cutting all ties. I believe it's a states issue to help immigrants, not the government's, because the smaller the scale, the easier it is to manage. A state(especially one like Rhode Island) can manage it's population easier than a country.

Education:

Get rid of that stupid No Child Left Behind law. Anyone who believes that lowering the qualifications to pass exams will lead to a better education is an idiot. If they fail, hold them back until they do get it. If they have to repeat the fifth grade until they learn their material, then it's just another motivation to get the schoolwork done. There should be some immunity laws for teachers to protect them from parents who think that Johnny is smart and the 45% he got on his test was because the teacher is out to get him. Also on the other end of the spectrum, teachers should be encouraged to be engaging to their students. This will make them want to learn more than plopping a bunch of material in front of them and saying "learn this".

Economy:

I'm not going to touch this one, because I don't know enough about economics to make an informed decision on what I would like the next president to do.

One thing I'd like to do is get ride of the whole two-party system. Just have the states each pick a candidate and through process of elimination find out who the people really want.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I admit, watching Obama doing his speech at mile high gave me a bit of a chill. It was seeing history, really.

I don't like Obama because of his policies. But I'm glad he's running. It is telling that a Black man can run in the US and have a very good chance at being president. Honestly, I don't think there's any other nation in the world (asides from perhaps canada) that a minority can run for the highest office. It's especially telling that, with obama being so popular, no European country could elect a minority to high office, much less the presidency or prime ministry.

Obama's running proves how far the US has come from the days of Jim Crow. We still have a long, long way to go before we can genuinely say that race is not a factor in society, but this demonstrates that we are on the right track.
The US is the only country in the world that would tolerate minorities in power? Tommyrot.

You get a lot of Europeans accusing Americans of arrogance and I'm normally the first to say, 'now that's not fair we're just as snooty towards them as we accuse them being brash towards the world' but the statement you made is exactly the kind of thing that would cause people to make the accusation.

Firstly, bear in mind that there are far more ethnic minorities in the US than Europe - whites make up some 68% of the US population, they make up 92%, 91%, 91% and 89% for Britain, Germany, France and Spain respectively and only around 5% of the total EU population is non-white. Accordingly you would expect a greater proportion of minorities to be in power in the states, however, just 5% of US senators are from ethnic minority groups while 3% of British MPs are, 2% of French National Assembly members are and 1.7% of MEPs are. These figures aren't great but proportionally non-whites are equally or better represented in the corridors of European power than they are across the pond.

'No European country could elect a minority into high office'? There have been several members of cabinet in Westminster from minority groups so that's incorrect. Furthermore, women (not a minority, granted, but an underrepresented group) have been at the highest office in Europe for decades. Not to the extent that they should be but at rather more impressive levels than the 0% of the USA. Two of the big three European economies have had female premiers.

Understand that I'm not championing European records on diversity because they aren't what they should be but but your supercilious assertions of minorities having no chance at power outside of North America is quite wrong. Racism in the states is, if anything, stronger than in Western Europe at least, and you'd have a hard time trying to claim your society is more tolerant than those over here.

NB. I couldn't find figures for Congress or the parliaments of Germany or Spain in the quick search I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.