I hate my laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
WELL IT HAPPENED! IT ****ING BROKE!

Video adapter error (received beep code)...Oh my god, this is the SECOND time in the 2 and half years I have had it...same problem, took 2 weeks to fix...AND I DON'T HAVE TWO WEEKS! I HAVE HOMEWORK NOW!

Well, I have other computers, I am using my old desktop that barely runs (It was the family computer, which is why its so ****ed up). I cleaned the registry, and now I am running a defragmenting program now.

It just makes me so angry that I paid so much for a computer (I got it when I was 13...that's a lot of chore money), and then it is just such a piece. I mean, no problems (aside from the normal **** that happens with it) for like 4 months, so I thought it was all good...Oh lord...I can't even do anything with it! Oh well, I had to buy the extended warantee because it BROKE when the warantee expired last time. So it just makes me so very angry, is all...I can barely run ****ing firefox on this computer, thats how bad it is.

G

gamebaby

O god. Well That must suck. I know how you feel. I mesed up a computer moniter which I couldnt use it at all to finish my paper on the declaration of independince(REALY BORING by the way). But i had to go to a library and retype it to forget i need to pay for the paper i print. I than told them I would pay for it next time and I luckly got them. But I feel your pain. P.S I tryed to spell today :)

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
That's pretty bad getting a beep code 2 times since you've owned it. What brand is it, Acer?

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I can't because I can't get to the problem...It a video chipset, so I can't just plug in a different card. It's an HP DV6000z (z refers to processor type...which is AMD).

S

Secret

You shulda just got a Mac, its a proven fact that I just made up is that 90% of all non Mac brand laptops suck and will break or have major software or hardware or battery problems (Except Alienware , HP and other high end ones and a few others) Just my thoughts on this whole debacle of yours.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
You shulda just got a Mac, its a proven fact that I just made up is that 90% of all non Mac brand laptops suck and will break or have major software or hardware or battery problems (Except Alienware , HP and other high end ones and a few others) Just my thoughts on this whole debacle of yours.
That statistic is wrong, dude. 90% of all people know that :p

I've owned both (I have a 12" Powerbook, and a 14" Acer) and I've fixed/owned tons of computers. Apples use the same hardware and have reliability on par with Sony (their expensive ones, cheap Sonys are crap), Toshiba (except the P4 A-60 garbage series), Lenovo/IBM (fantastic quality), HP (their business series laptops are great, and not that much more expensive). I've run into many problems with Apple hardware (overheating, dying motherboards, video chipsets, etc...)

Buy a Mac for the great OS and intergation, not because you think that premium is getting you better hardware...cause it's not.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Please don't let this thread get hijacked into a Mac vs PC thread :'(

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other

Why exactly would you give iGod your iMoney, just to be an iTool?

Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, go and buy a Mac if you love getting ripped off, when in fact, for the same amount of money, you could build a pc yourself that has easily 2x power...

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Yes, go and buy a Mac if you love getting ripped off, when in fact, for the same amount of money, you could build a pc yourself that has easily 2x power...

Sorry, but I have no other way to respond to this -_-

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Would your parents pay to have it fixed? When all else fails, take it somewhere. And if they're paying, all the better.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Some people do get unlucky with issues. But you do get what you paid for really. Even if it is a status symbol. But its a fact there is some hardware that will break the day after the warranty and others that will stay strong after you have passed away.

This is why I tend not to own so many laptops, if the motherboard needs replacing, get a new machine. Its took expensive and its risky getting a "spares or repair" machine off ebay. Then even if it was a desktop depending on the age it may be difficult to get a compatible mobo.

If the machine lasted forever and always worked, then why would people replace their old machines? It's their business model.

Also, it sounds like your other machines could do with a format and a fresh install of windows or what ever tickles your fancy. That might breath new life into them.

Dude84

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
I constantly have issues with my laptop; the current theorem is that the secondary IDE channel has died; nothing connected to it (via the optical slot, which is the reason for the secondary channel) ever works - devices will power up but remain unrecognised from the point of bootup onwards.

Unfortunately, this renders me unable to do anything with it; it will not boot from an external USB drive, despite the BIOS and indeed the manufacturer indicating that this is possible.

Thus, the screwed up installation of Ubuntu I have on there cannot be repaired, as it's so badly fubared that the only option is to reformat the HDD and start again. I *can* do that, but I wouldn't get past that stage, while i'm lacking the ability to install any kind of OS whatsoever afterwards.

Personally, I want a dual-boot installation of Linux and Windows, mainly for the purpose of being able to get some use out of the HSDPA data modem for which I have an on-going contract still in its minimum term; it's of the Huwaei USB type used by 3, Vodafone, and many others - it is *supposed* to be supported in Linux - but it isn't. If you manage to achieve this on my laptop, i'll have your babies. Only joking, but you get the point - it isn't happening!

Also, the battery needs replacing; i've gone from a system capable of maintaining a usable 3.5 hour charge *whilst* playing music fairly loudly and connected to a WiFi network to, a 20 minute charge without doing either of those.

It angers me. It sits on my desk atm, pretty much no more than a status symbol that is of no use whatsoever, other than to fill space on my empty desk... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.