Rift

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I had just started working a new job and was staying at Jefferson city park that was posted online to be open 24 hours and all I saw was a random car coming toward me and didn't even know it was a cop until he was really close to me then turned on his lights. The officer asked if I was ok I told him that I was in panic mode because didn't know what was going on and could feel my heart rate skyrocket like it was going to pop out of my chest then once I had a chance to calm down a little I told him that I am homeless and living out of my car and had nowhere to go then he let me leave. I am terrified of police even when there is nothing to really worry about is this normal? This is th link that says ope 24 hours https://g.co/kgs/7byh99

Last edited:
Aww that sounds stressful :(. Frankly, interactions with American police are terrifying and you absolutely need to be prepared for them to happen.

Even if the park is open 24/7 there may be city ordinances about sleeping in your car or for that matter setting up a tent. Make sure you do your research on this, some big store parking lots can be pretty safe places to be over night if the company allows it, but really inhospitable (i.e. cops called) if they don't.

Sometimes even if you're allowed to be somewhere the police will want to check on you. Sometimes it's just to make sure you're ok and there's nothing funky going on, sometimes the police can be real meanies about it. Expect this to happen, be polite, explain your situation, and try and pick good spots. If they tell you that you shouldn't be there, apologize and move on, even if you know you're in the right. Know your rights re: searches and the like, but don't pick a fight about whether you're allowed to sleep or not, depending on the cop that could be a REALLY bad idea.

You might be able to get some local advice at a homeless shelter or similar - even if they don't have room they could provide some good advice re: your car and/or provide other services.

Good luck and I hope you're able to get back on your feet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke, Angelapinks, Jorelaxed and 5 others
distract said:
Aww that sounds stressful :(. Frankly, interactions with American police are terrifying and you absolutely need to be prepared for them to happen.
This is absolutely wrong!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
Nowididit said:
This is absolutely wrong!
unfortunately, @distract is exactly right. as someone who is very hard of hearing, i learned this the hard way when i was without my hearing aids and had cops pointing guns at me while i could not hear them telling me what to do.

its a lot better to know what to do and not need it than need it and not know what to do.

Reactions: BunnyPrincess, Seasonedcitizen and lilbabyjooce
chiaochai said:
unfortunately, @distract is exactly right. as someone who is very hard of hearing, i learned this the hard way when i was without my hearing aids and had cops pointing guns at me while i could not hear them telling me what to do.

its a lot better to know what to do and not need it than need it and not know what to do.
Okay, what should be the correct response for yourself and others?
I have traveled extensively and I would rather be talking to a North America police officer than officers from other countries.

Reactions: littlemoosey, Angelapinks, diapeybabybrian and 1 other person
chiaochai said:

Do you know what the proper response is when pulled over by a police officer.
Hands on the wheel till the officer approaches your vehicle. During interaction with said officer tell said officer you are reaching to get pertinent documents for said officer.
No figiting, reaching, fumbling in the vehicle because this automatically puts the officer in a defensive mode because you are acting suspicious.
It's called complying! It's that freaking simple. Bad interactions with police are rare and only happen when a person is acting suspicious during the interaction.
Police have heard it all too. They know when a person is lying to them. They are trained by professionals in human psyche. They are trained to understand body language, eye movements, pupil dilation.
In your case my friend knowing you need hearing aides and the possibility of forgetting them maybe keep a written note on your person's to properly communicate with the police.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, diapeybabybrian, Edgewater and 1 other person
Rift said:
I had just started working a new job and was staying at Jefferson city park that was posted online to be open 24 hours and all I saw was a random car coming toward me and didn't even know it was a cop until he was really close to me then turned on his lights. The officer asked if I was ok I told him that I was in panic mode because didn't know what was going on and could feel my heart rate skyrocket like it was going to pop out of my chest then once I had a chance to calm down a little I told him that I am homeless and living out of my car and had nowhere to go then he let me leave. I am terrified of police even when there is nothing to really worry about is this normal? This is th link that says ope 24 hours https://g.co/kgs/7byh99
I was told if a police officer ever stops you for no reason as them if your being detained if they say no walk away

littledreamers333 said:
I was told if a police officer ever stops you for no reason as them if your being detained if they say no walk away
Not sure who provided that information, but it seems to be missing several very important components and as a result, I would avoid follow it as provided here.

Near all police departments are understaffed and as a result are too busy to stop anyone for no reason!
Even it by chance it happens, they have the right to ask for identification.
You have a responsibility to comply.

Reactions: Zeke, littlemoosey and diapeybabybrian
I grew up watching COPS on tv and quickly learned how to act around police.

It's really easy to have a positive interaction with them, unless you're doing something you shouldn't be.

If you're not doing anything wrong, just stay calm, show them your ID, and you'll be on your way.

People will say "BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOW THEM YOUR ID...."

You don't, but if you show them they can more quickly rule out you're not the person they're looking for.

Once they establish you're not a wanted person, they don't want to talk to you.

They're hunting big fish, if you show them you're a little fish they quickly throw you back into the water.

By refusing to show them your ID you only give them the idea that you might be a big fish, and escalate the situation.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, CrazySmoker, Angelapinks and 1 other person
distract said:

Even if the park is open 24/7 there may be city ordinances about sleeping in your car or for that matter setting up a tent. Make sure you do your research on this, some big store parking lots can be pretty safe places to be over night if the company allows it, but really inhospitable (i.e. cops called) if they don't.

Sometimes even if you're allowed to be somewhere the police will want to check on you. Sometimes it's just to make sure you're ok and there's nothing funky going on, sometimes the police can be real meanies about it. Expect this to happen, be polite, explain your situation, and try and pick good spots. If they tell you that you shouldn't be there, apologize and move on, even if you know you're in the right. Know your rights re: searches and the like, but don't pick a fight about whether you're allowed to sleep or not, depending on the cop that could be a REALLY bad idea.

You might be able to get some local advice at a homeless shelter or similar - even if they don't have room they could provide some good advice re: your car and/or provide other services.

Good luck and I hope you're able to get back on your feet!
Thank you

diapeybabybrian said:
I grew up watching COPS on tv and quickly learned how to act around police.

It's really easy to have a positive interaction with them, unless you're doing something you shouldn't be.

If you're not doing anything wrong, just stay calm, show them your ID, and you'll be on your way.

People will say "BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOW THEM YOUR ID...."

You don't, but if you show them they can more quickly rule out you're not the person they're looking for.

Once they establish you're not a wanted person, they don't want to talk to you.

They're hunting big fish, if you show them you're a little fish they quickly throw you back into the water.

By refusing to show them your ID you only give them the idea that you might be a big fish, and escalate the situation.
I learned that one yesterday when I said I don't consent to searches then the officer said that means there is something to hide so I answered the question then he asked what it was I told him that I had some unopened beer cans then things went smoothly from there and was given directions on where to go for th night and was let go

Nowididit said:
Do you know what the proper response is when pulled over by a police officer.
Hands on the wheel till the officer approaches your vehicle. During interaction with said officer tell said officer you are reaching to get pertinent documents for said officer.
No figiting, reaching, fumbling in the vehicle because this automatically puts the officer in a defensive mode because you are acting suspicious.
It's called complying! It's that freaking simple. Bad interactions with police are rare and only happen when a person is acting suspicious during the interaction.
Police have heard it all too. They know when a person is lying to them. They are trained by professionals in human psyche. They are trained to understand body language, eye movements, pupil dilation.
In your case my friend knowing you need hearing aides and the possibility of forgetting them maybe keep a written note on your person's to properly communicate with the police.
you dont need to explain this to me. bad interactions with the police are not rare. police are not "trained professionals in the human psyche." last i checked you dont need a psych degree to be a cop. if the police had training like that, my situation might not have happened.

say i do keep a written note on my person, am i supposed to reach for it at some point? how is this written note going to allow the police to communicate with me? these are rhetorical questions, because as the one who has had to deal with this im the one who had to figure it out. you really shouldnt have to know to do everything right lest you get arrested or shot, but thats just how it is.
the fact of the matter is also that people who comply get shot too. the police are not your friend.

i would probably get this post deleted if i linked to situations where people complied and got shot anyways, but to think this doesnt happen is to be walking around with blinders on. ill probably get dinged for this anyways even though this is on topic...i have a handful of personal stories where i did everything in my power to have a nice interaction with them and still got boned anyways. literally had one of em laugh in my face after i was the one who called them to deal with a domestic violence situation. this is not to say every cop is gonna beat you with a billy club with no warning, but it is to say unfortunate situations happen and they happen often and we should not be blaming the people it happens to.

i wont talk about this any further as to not clog OPs thread with this. im glad you had a nice interaction with them and that they told you a safe place to go. wishing you well and i really hope you are able to get on your feet soon.

tldr, be careful. stay safe. know what to do.

Last edited:
chiaochai said:
you dont need to explain this to me. bad interactions with the police are not rare. police are not "trained professionals in the human psyche." last i checked you dont need a psych degree to be a cop. if the police had training like that, my situation might not have happened.

say i do keep a written note on my person, am i supposed to reach for it at some point? how is this written note going to allow the police to communicate with me? these are rhetorical questions, because as the one who has had to deal with this im the one who had to figure it out. you really shouldnt have to know to do everything right lest you get arrested or shot, but thats just how it is.
the fact of the matter is also that people who comply get shot too. the police are not your friend.

i would probably get this post deleted if i linked to situations where people complied and got shot anyways, but to think this doesnt happen is to be walking around with blinders on. ill probably get dinged for this anyways even though this is on topic...i have a handful of personal stories where i did everything in my power to have a nice interaction with them and still got boned anyways. literally had one of em laugh in my face after i was the one who called them to deal with a domestic violence situation. this is not to say every cop is gonna beat you with a billy club with no warning, but it is to say unfortunate situations happen and they happen often and we should not be blaming the people it happens to.

i wont talk about this any further as to not clog OPs thread with this. im glad you had a nice interaction with them and that they told you a safe place to go. wishing you well and i really hope you are able to get on your feet soon.

tldr, be careful. stay safe. know what to do.
I completely agree 100% with you that police are not our friends except for a select few it really depends on the officer and what he wants to do.

Thank you for wishing me well on my current situation

Reactions: chiaochai
It is vary normal to face an Officer/Trooper/Police and have some fear of the encounter. More so when your homeless. I have been homeless on several occasions and was always afraid of an encounter. I deal with Troppers regularly now and accustomed to working with them. The thing is they have a job to do. Usually if your honest and up front they are more apt to be more understanding and helpful. My problem now is all talk there ear off if they let me. Most situations the tropper would think your ampt up or something . However I'm a truck driver and seldom get to talk to anyone. But there pretty easy to deal with. You helped yourself when you where up front with him. But there isn't anything wrong and perfectly normal to worry about the encounter.

Reactions: Cottontail
Kirisin said:
It is vary normal to face an Officer/Trooper/Police and have some fear of the encounter. More so when your homeless. I have been homeless on several occasions and was always afraid of an encounter. I deal with Troppers regularly now and accustomed to working with them. The thing is they have a job to do. Usually if your honest and up front they are more apt to be more understanding and helpful. My problem now is all talk there ear off if they let me. Most situations the tropper would think your ampt up or something . However I'm a truck driver and seldom get to talk to anyone. But there pretty easy to deal with. You helped yourself when you where up front with him. But there isn't anything wrong and perfectly normal to worry about the encounter.
I'm so happy that it went well because my mind was racing on and on about what's going to happen and my leg was shaking because I was so nervous I was worried that I was going to go to jail the whole time until the officer told me that I was free to go also a big thanks to my stuffed dragon toothless I was able to calm down then I was able to talk to the officer and deal with the situation

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kirisin and Edgewater
Rift said:
I'm so happy that it went well because my mind was racing on and on about what's going to happen and my leg was shaking because I was so nervous I was worried that I was going to go to jail the whole time until the officer told me that I was free to go also a big thanks to my stuffed dragon toothless I was able to calm down then I was able to talk to the officer and deal with the situation
Wow, isn't that amazing.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, littlemoosey and Kirisin
I was stopped by a police officer yesterday (I was a pedestrian). He wanted to know the way !!

Reactions: Kirisin
Rift said:
WTG glad everything went good its all about how this all starts things don't go well for aggressive people but usually the nice calm people usually goes pretty well
You Did Good

Oh before I forget having Toothless around always helps!!!!

Last edited:
Kirisin said:
WTG glad everything went good its all about how this all starts things don't go well for aggressive people but usually the nice calm people usually goes pretty well
You Did Good

Oh before I forget having Toothless around always helps!!!!
Thankies toothless is my favorite dragon

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirisin
I had another scary moment with uber because se I had to make 2 false deliveries because they would not help me sove a valid problem I called uber for support with Making my deliveries but they decided not to even try but place me on hold for hours and there was no getting unassigned from the order so deleted my uber account and quit. I'm scared about what's going to happen next because I wanted to solve the issue but I couldn't because uber wouldn't help me help them. I hope all that comes of it is a termination of my uber account and is ashamed of the choice I had to make. I will never drive for them again because of this

Last edited:
Back