I got two more computers for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I was at a locally owned computer shop today, talkng with the ownwer. ( I'm friends with him). Well we were going though his storage room and he came across thess two older custom built computer and he looked at me and said you know these have been here for a year or two so you can have them. I was like realy.

So I get them home and one has a 1.0 GHZ pro in it and the other has a 2.1Ghz pro. and the both have 512 MB of ram.

I have put Xp on one, but not sure what I will put on the other one.:dunno:

S

Secret

Nice find there is nothin better than free stuff!

Today I got a FREE Triplett VOM meter for my electrical work on guitars and moding and building stuff! Its retailing for at least 275.00$ and I got it FREE im happy. :twocents:
http://www.elexp.com/tst_tr60.htm
BTW nice find!

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
That is good, my mom use to own a music shop and those were very expensive most of them were like $300 and up.

S

Secret

So are you building the computer like soldering and circuit diagrams and whatnot?

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
No they are completely put together already

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Free computers are nice. I get them for free a lot. Usually take them apart and sell the stuff inside and throw the case out.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Nice, not the best. But I guess the owner could of done with the space and they weren't worth much due to their age. As well as consumers want something better, not as if half of them know what they are buying anyway.

Slap Ubuntu on it. Or if you want to know a little more about computers, you could put Ubuntu on it and start changing the settings and turning it into a server slowly but surely.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I put the vista advisor on the one with the 2.1 GHZ pro and it said it could support vista. So I put vista on it and it is run real good.

Role
Diaper Lover
I was going to say give it to me, as I am trying to get something going for someone else, but you already did something with it.

Tell us more about what yah do to them.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Ew! Vista on 512MB, it'll work. But you will be so much better off having XP on it. It will run much more smoother and quicker. That or Upgrade the ram yourself, which is pretty cheap to do. I am sure the owner will help you out on how to do that one.

diapermefast

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy
I would use one as a second box for testing and learing (if that interests you), still something like Linux or even a Server operating system on it and have a play around, maybe even get some RAM and run it as a windows box and still a virtual Linux box on top of it?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Ew! Vista on 512MB, it'll work. But you will be so much better off having XP on it. It will run much more smoother and quicker. That or Upgrade the ram yourself, which is pretty cheap to do. I am sure the owner will help you out on how to do that one.
Meh, probably still would be worthless if the RAM was lower than, say, 333MHz DDR. Anything higher and around 1GB+ should be suffice for Vista.

And, either way, XP will definitely be a better choice :). Linux would be even better.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I made a Hackintosh out of the extra computer. added a Gb of ram and it only has a few kinks. A few mac featurs don't work

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
That's not hackintosh... nice try. :p That's just Windows XP with some bloated OS X-look-a-like software. Haha, you can't be a member of Aqua-Soft and not be able to recognize and emulation and the real thing ;)

Right off the bat:

widgets: Yahoo Widget Engine
skin: simple MSSTYLE theme
Dock: could be anything from RocketDock, ObjectDock, Y'zDock, etc. (which by the way, is horribly disordered)

A few mac featurs don't work
orly? hah :p

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
lol good eyes mm3..Yes it is indeed windows xp with flyakite osx. Work good and my mom thought it was aa mac, but she does not know what to look for. Only if I had a mac disk I would make me a hackintosh.

O and there are yahoo widgets for Mac

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Heheh, I did that to my laptop back in 2004, I thought it was so 1337 :D

But those computers are pretty good. My second computer on my desktop here is a Duron 750 w/384mb ram and it runs fine as a second computer (whose purpose is to run synergy and act as a 3rd monitor to play youtube videos :p)

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
ahh, Synergy, an app I will not be able to live without.

Samaki

Contributor
Role
I just looked up synergy (had no idea what it did), and jeeze, that's amazing. If I ever get a second computer in here...

Nice find btw, I used the flyakite a while back, but it was really slow and didn't function very well =/, I uninstalled it. I've noticed a lot of the skins for XP don't work very well, especially the WoW skin, that thing MESSED my computer up.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
synergy lets me use my one keyboard and mouse for my Windows-based mainstream PC, my server with Windows/Linux, and my Mac with OS X! :D Can't ask for more, IMO!

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Right now I have synergy on both my laptops(powerbook and acer) and 2 desktops, so I can essentially have a 5 monitor setup on my desk (though rarely will I ever have both laptops setup at the time time)

Status
Not open for further replies.