I dont want to have fecal incontinence

Kodname87

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I dont want to be incontinent... this is not fun... and this may be permanent.. can you give me advice?

DanielW said:
Not without know more about your condition we can't. Possibly not even then. What advice you you want?
How do I accept this reality?

since I still have control of my bowels the only advice I can give is since you most likely will have to wear diapers 24/7,to avoid embarasment after changing is carry plenty of wipes on you and when you dispose of the diaper assuming you are using disposable to double bag it before throwing it in the bin

Last edited:
DanielW said:
What choice is there? if you have to deal with it, you have to deal with it. Most of what you'll need to learn to cope is going to come with practice and trial and error (what works for you, may not work for me and vice versa.)

What's causing your IC?
I don't know yet.

There are a lot of things you can do to manage your fecal incontinence. Two things that other members may have mentioned are bowel training where you time your diet so you void at predictable times each day, and something often not mentioned here, which is the use of medical devices you insert into your anus to prevent involuntary defecation. I am not sure why I have not seen these devices mentioned on ADISC when they work well for some individuals.

If odor is a concern, there are also options to prevent them from being strong. One option is to take 1000mg vitamin C daily. It will greatly reduce the smell of your stool. There are other OTC options, but I find vitamin C chewables to be the easiest to remember while taking my vitamins. I hope this helps.

IC is not something that you can wish away. Unless your doctor has told you that your condition is temporary it’s best to develop a good attitude towards it as that will make dealing with it much easier. The more you dislike something the more you will develop ways to avoid dealing with it and that’s not something that you want to do with fecal IC. Make it a project to find the most useful products and procedures for you handle this and get into a maintenance regiment. Setting, and adhering to a schedule can be very helpful. There are many conditions and experiences that are far, far worse than fecal IC and you should count yourself fortunate not to know what they are from personal experience.

Zeke said:
IC is not something that you can wish away. Unless your doctor has told you that your condition is temporary it’s best to develop a good attitude towards it as that will make dealing with it much easier. The more you dislike something the more you will develop ways to avoid dealing with it and that’s not something that you want to do with fecal IC. Make it a project to find the most useful products and procedures for you handle this and get into a maintenance regiment. Setting, and adhering to a schedule can be very helpful. There are many conditions and experiences that are far, far worse than fecal IC and you should count yourself fortunate not to know what they are from personal experience.
Mmhmm!

Dealing with it...
Well until you know the cause - you won't know if anything can be done.
Otherwise you just do - I can't really say much there, I never had a problem with not being able to because I have ALWAYS had ic issues, so NEVER knew anything else. HOWEVER when there is no choice (with anything) you just find a way, that's all I can really tell you...

DanielW said:
Well, then its kind of a wait and see situation. Once you know what's causing it, you'll know better how to treat it. Mine isn't a significant issue most of the time, because it's manageable. There are some days worse than others, but on the whole, with some planning and a good bowel program. It doesn't cause me many problems.

What issues are you having now?
I'm just trying to handle my fi as best I can.

I have a cousin who's both fecal and bladder IC and he said that all you need to do to manage your pooping issue is monitor your fiber intake, fiber is the what makes your poops harder and softer depending on how much you have, regulate this and you'll do fine

Back