I don't like the recent focus on rep...

What do you think should be done with rep?

• Rep should be emphesized much more on the site

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I like the rep the way it is currently

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Want to see rep to be de-emphesized a bit

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Rep should be the way it was on tbdl.org

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Rep should be emphesized much less on the site

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Please read poll only let me use 100 words these are the full options

More notes on poll options:

1. Rep should be emphasized much more on the site (??? I don't really see how it could be emphasized more... perhaps who reps who would be visible and possibly more extras for higher/consequences for low rep)

2. I like the rep the way it is currently

3. Want to see rep to be de-emphasized a bit, but not down all the way to what it was when the site was tbdl.org

4. Rep should be the way it was on tbdl.org. (+ rep got into the vip forum - could moderate, just total reps for user are shown no indication of individual posts is given to the general forum though the member can see what post got the rep essentially the rep should be how it was back when the site was tbdl.org)

5. Rep should be emphasized much less on the site (Rep does nothing aside from bragging rights)

______Start Post_____

I see rep as something that is there, but not something that should really be paid attention. It seems to me that recent changes to the rep system are well putting it in your face so to speak. Since the changes we've had alot of complaints about rep... people saying they don't deserve it... people saying others don't deserve the rep they're getting and all variations.

I really feel these recent changes are making people pay way too much attention to rep and turning it into a popularity contest.

I would like to see the rep go back to the way it was. There, but nothing other than the little number to show it. No +1 or -1 or colors etc. Anyways what do others think?

Also quick note on rep... Only moo has the ability to change rep... For the most part rep does not get changed unless the reason for giving the rep is inadequate. While I tend to agree that certain reps are a bit undeserved the point of rep is to provide feedback. I however feel its being taken way to seriously that people feel like they're being attacked when neg rep is given.

Thats why i would like to see it de-emphasized... essentially the difference between the current settings and the old settings that were in place at tbdl.org is that people can see where rep is being given... All of the sudden the disagreement becomes public etc. whereas i would not notice a drop in rep point the big red block is very noticeable.

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Well I personally think that rep instead of being used as a 'side note' is being used as a 'hey look you don't agree with my views, instead of having an argument I'll give you neg rep' and it doesn't help that here is a feeling of shame that you get for doing nothing to deserve the rep and you get this giant red box over your post, most of the 'undeserved' rep I got was removed, but yet some people will still rep you over stupid things instead of being civil and saying what you have a problem with.

I got rep for 'meme use' when I used it positively(I said "Do want!")(I'm not complaining, just giving an example of how anal some people can honestly get)

TLDR; Rep is being used as a way of spiting someone over a difference in ideas instead of an actual 'side note'

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I've actually been considering removing the ability for people to request that the rep they have got be reviewed. I'm tired of people complaining that they have got negrep for unfair reasons.

Sometimes, it really is unfair. The classic example of an unfair rep is "-1" and "ashdfoiyaadl". A recently introduced system has started removing rep power from people who give lots of invalid rep. One person has had this happen to them already because it seemed that 50% of the complaints about unfair negative rep were due to rep they had given. They won't get that back until the majority of rep scores they are giving out have useful reasons attached to them.

There's a poll on the red box in another thread. Frankly, that poll suggests I'm the only person who likes the red box... so it is probably going to vanish this weekend.

With regard to memes : negative rep given for meme usage will not be reversed or deleted. This isn't in the rules page, but it is true. It was removed from the rules page because it led to more questions than answers, but the principle of "using memes will get you negrep" holds true. If you use memes like "Do Want", expect to get negative rep for it and for complaints about how unfair this is to be pretty much ignored. Memes are a negative influence on the site, and some members (and mods) make a point of giving negative rep to many of the posts they see which use memes. I don't particularly care if other people consider this unfair, I support the members who do this. Memes are a bad influence on the site (yes, even constructive ones like "Do Want" are unwelcome). Memes should not be used.

More generally yes, I am looking to slightly reduce the importance of rep. Slightly.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I think the redded posts are a good thing. And the rep system in general, but it seems to be a little weak. It seems funny to me that someone with -4 is allowed to post; it also seems like folks that get -2 or less in 24 hours should be put on probation right there. When you join a board, you need to study how the conversations work before you try posting.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Quick question...What's a meme?

Now onto my opinion...I think the rep is popularity contest for some people...Like some of the most active members will get positive rep just for saying something that any other person says...But they don't get any rep for it...I also think that it's ridiculous how some people give neg rep just because they don't agree with someone, or they don't find what they said helpful enough...

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My suggestion to fix this rep problem:

Everybody on every topic should post essays in response to the original question, citing sources from previous posts to submit their arguments and answers. In doing so, the writer will be properly bringing forth their idea in a universally-acceptable structure. At that point, everybody will have thousands of reputation points from all of the compliments they get for the thought they put behind their posts, and everybody's rep will be so high that everybody will have equal reputation.

I actually think the focus on reputation is not coming from how it's being implemented on the site, but instead how people are thinking about it. Reputation is based on popularity if you think it is -- then again, having lots of "reputation" in a social atmosphere usually means you're popular, and having negative "reputation" in the same social atmosphere means you're a societal leper.

What part of this are we doing wrong?

I actually don't think there's too much wrong with the reputation system. If people think there's too much focus on it, and they're crying in their milk every morning about, "My reputation got lowered," or "My reputation isn't high enough," here are a few pointers I suggest:

1) Don't post idiotic posts (for those who get heavy amounts of negative reputation),

2 1/2) Wipe your eyes,

2) Force yourself to get a life.

Sorry to be so forward about it, but is reputation really so big a deal as we are making of it? Or is it just a nifty little addition to point out positive contributors and weed out poor ones like it always has been? Hey guys, guess what! If you don't have a little red box beside your "reputation" field, you're probably a positive contributor. Pat yourself on the back.

It is what you make of it, folks -- the boards are fun-things, not contests, not swordfights with numbers.

I believe negative reputation is heralded specifically by the way a message presents itself. If you're getting negative reputation for something, then it was likely a screw-up in how the information was first presented from your brain as opposed as to how it was picked up in the brains of your audience. If someone was clever enough, they could insult every religion, race, sensibility, and belief known to man, and if it was done with the right, respectable words, not a single person would ever give them negative repute.

Are we done?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
It seems to come in waves of unhealthy fixation. There were periodic fits about it even back in the halcyon days of TBDL, but it does seem like they were fewer in number, although perhaps that can be attributed merely to a smaller user base. Truth be told, I don't really like it much as a system, except that I think something of that sort is probably necessary and I don't have a great suggestion for some amazing alternative.

I guess to sum up, I'd like to hear and see less about it if it were possible.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Only thing i really want to point out on rep is that just because you have the power to take two rep doesn't mean you should

F

FullMetal

I won't be active on here again until my ability to give rep is restored :\
This is blunt. If you don't like blunt, don't read it...

That is probably the (theee not the, the long way, I mean, you know what I'm talking about? See I never really know how people read things so I always have to put parenthesis around everything and then it just confuses the reader to a point of no return.) Idiotic thing I have ever hear in my entire life. And I have heard some stupid things. Like today, we were watching a video in my health class about rape and the girl literally said this after being questioned about so said rape:

"I have never even had a boyfriend before this, what did I even know about life" (which I am considering making my senior quote.)

and:

"I got drunk and had sex, I just want to be like everyone else, whats so wrong with being like everyone else and doing what everyone else is doing" (Which I think I should make a song out of.)

But in all honestly, you don't take the cake, you take the cake factory.

If you really take so much thought into the reputation on a site about diapers, that you should probably only take about 40 minutes a day on, you really need to find a hobby. I always suggest ping pong.

Listen, I am not saying this to be mean. BUT ALL OF YOU NEED TO CALM THE HELL DOWN. This is not, and I repeat NOT, the end of the world. So you got some negative reputation? Post about how much you want to kill yourself because you got it somewhere on your myspace, because... somehow, we don't care.

And, so you got your reputation power taken away? Are you really crying over that? Give me a god damn break. Honestly, does it really matter THAT much that you refuse to be active here? Because if so, then the reputation system is a major FLAW in ADISC (it isn't by the way) and you guys don't really know what it is.

I understand if you are mad for like ten minutes, but any longer and you know you need to get the hell off of the computer and do some soul searching. I love you all, but please, chillax, take it easy, think before you do, reestablish your chee, whatever it takes for you to not be so high strung, please.

Sorry for being so blunt.

FullMetal

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Place much less emphasis on the reputation points system. It's potential for abuse will NOT stop. People such as myself receive rep just because the posts I make seem to offend many members. From my reputation comments, the posts stem mostly from members who want to say things based only on generic sympathy and blind hope.

I give members who neg-rep me positive reputation (such as the case with ShippoFox and Jammie.)

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I say remove it all together or at least barely emphasize it. I'm pretty sure the only reason half the people rep whore is to get VIP status.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
This thread makes me feel terrible because I've actually complained a couple times about my neg rep being unfair, or my rep going down for no unknown reason.

The rep. system isn't going to be de-emphasized until we do it ourselves. Sure, moo can take away the rep count on posts, and he can take away VIP even, HOWEVER, we are still going to rep each other, there are going to be those who take it too seriously, base their time here around rep, and care way too much about it.

The rep isn't something that can magically be de-emphasized, we have to do it ourselves! We ALL have to take a step back and ask why its so important? All in all, -we- have to change it ourselves, and it's not going to change unless we want it to, and take the first step in doing so.

Role
Private
I liked how it was back on TBDL. It's there, but not in your face.

Seriously, why all the attention to it now? If rep was just "another one of those things", then why put so much time and effort into it. It's good to show newbies what behaviour is expected, but making them totally conform to that style just isn't cool. Not only does it drive away bad members, but potentially good one's as well. Focus on rep should be greatly de-emphasised .

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I voted "put slightly less emphasis on it".

We need the reputation system to weed out people with weird habit or odd motives for being here, and to protect the site from spammers when mods are temporarily unavailable.

There seems to be a significant amount of abuse though:
- "Return repping": People who give reputation to the user they're received reputation from, even though that user has not done anything to merit the reputation
- Personal favors: People giving more rep to people they like no matter how useless their posts may be but don't give rep to people they don't like or have no opinion on.
- Agreement rep: People give rep for posts they agree or disagree with. So if I say "I smoke pot" an nothing more I can expect positive rep from pot smokers even though my post itself was totally useless. It's worse when you negrep someone for simply disagreeing with them. So if you're pro drug legalization and I type out a wonderfully composed statement against drug use, people would neg rep me simply because they like drugs.

So what should we do: Educate people about how to use the rep system! And take away rep power from people who abuse it.
It's not a popularity contest or a favor for friends!

Peachy

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
there are ways in which it's helpful to see what sorts of posts get positive reputation and what sorts of posts get negative reputation, but i think the system is doing more harm than good. for starters, i've noticed a lot of people "correcting" rep they disagree with. the other thing is that i personally find it positively MADDENING to have to see the stupid things for which people get both negative and positive rep. i'd frankly just prefer not to be aware of how egregiously the system is being misused. >.<

i agree with what other people in this thread have said: people are using rep to reward posts they agree with and punish posts they disagree with. it shouldn't be about the things people say, it should be about the way they're expressed. oftentimes people get rep for virtually no reason, just because people either like them or don't like them. for example, one member recently got a point for a post that said, and i quote in full, "Aww thank-you!"

i strongly disagree with fullmetal's implication that people shouldn't have much of an emotional reaction to reputation. i think people SHOULD feel good when they get positive rep, and they SHOULD feel bad when they get negative rep. rep should be used to encourage material that we want on the site and discourage material that doesn't belong in our forums. negative rep should basically mean that the material you posted is damaging to the community as a whole, and is something you should be ashamed of. but these days it mostly just means that somebody disagrees with your opinion, or just plain doesn't like you and wants you to feel bad.

i voted to go back to the way it was on tbdl.org. rep was a big deal even back then. i can see the benefits of making it a more visible part of the site, but i think ultimately it just makes it more of a big emotional deal for people and a cause for drama and hurt feelings.

Quick question...What's a meme?
this is just one of the many reasons why i think the ban on memes is absurd. i think there's already WAY WAY too much negative rep being given out for silly reasons. to give it out for simple phrases that most people use without even knowing what they are creates a really hostile, unwelcoming environment. now people have to be constantly afraid that anything they say could turn out to be a meme. do we really want to turn our forum into a environment of fear, repression, and paranoia?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
My current ideas about how to slightly de-emphasise the rep system :
* Remove the UserCP 'Rep Archive' which lists the rep you've given and been given.
* Remove the feature that colors positive-repped posts green, and negative-repped ones pink... or at least make it an option that is disabled by default.
* Ask Peachy for help in moderating rep comments, to delete the invalid ones faster.

About the memes : remember that this i still subject to discretion... meaning if I see one person get three -1s for the same post because it contains one reference to longcat, I'm going to reduce that to a -1 or possibly a zero, and just leave the comments. Just because I don't moderate it in response to user requests doesn't mean I don't moderate it period. I'm just tired of people complaining to me about getting a single negative rep point for something. I mean really, its only one point. I can understand if you had 10 points and that 1 negative rep cost you VIP status... but some of the people who complain the most have 15+ rep, and realistically are never going to lose VIP status... so why they care about getting the odd -1 is beyond me.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
No! Moo! Don't remove the rep archive. I find that quite useful, and it's pretty personal so I don't see how that makes a difference. But I do think the ability to edit could be taken away.

Peachy helping would probably make things go faster, as well. I don't see how anyone would have a problem with that. :)

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
* Remove the UserCP 'Rep Archive' which lists the rep you've given and been given.
but then you'd have no way of knowing why your score was going up and down. what would removing the rep archive accomplish exactly? :confused:

I'm just tired of people complaining to me about getting a single negative rep point for something. I mean really, its only one point. I can understand if you had 10 points and that 1 negative rep cost you VIP status... but some of the people who complain the most have 15+ rep, and realistically are never going to lose VIP status... so why they care about getting the odd -1 is beyond me.
i find negative rep really upsetting because it makes me feel like i posted something really abhorrent and that people basically just wish i'd up and leave the community. obviously negative rep doesn't actually mean that nowadays, but that's what it's INTENDED to be used for. i don't care much about my overall score -- i just find it really jarring and upsetting to be given a negative point. i've never asked to have a negative point reviewed, but there could come a time when i might want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.