Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddedfanny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Incontinent
If I have missed a post on this you have my apologies. I have seen partial info on my question but not anything that totally has the scoop. My question is concerning baby oil, lotion, barrier cream, and powder. Some use one or two at a time, but when in particular should you be using each one? My other question is how often a day should a light to moderate wetter who generally uses the toilet and prefers to be dry change a disposable diaper which doesn't hold up well when being pulled to the side during the day? Thanks in advance to all responding.

First off I'll remind you that everyone's skin is different, will tolerate some things better than others, is predisposed to certain issues. So there's no one universal answer to skin care questions. There'll be a few good "rules of thumb" but beyond that you have to try things and see what works best for you.

Powders are good for keeping skin dry and promoting ventilation so your skin can breathe. This can help keep away problems with yeaste and other funk that grow in moist conditions, reduce sweating, and prevent itching. They also help prevent skin irritation from rubbing, as they kind of offer a dry (graphite-like) lubrication. Most powders lose their effectiveness if they get wet. You can choose from corn starch, talc, and other medicated varieties like zeesorb and monkeybutt. Cornstarch is usually considered nontoxic, but talc can be harmful if inhailed and some studies also link it with ovarian cancer. Talc dries more than corn starch, and can overdry skin and lead to painful eczema. I use talc mainly on my inner thighs where my diaper rubs when I walk, and also under the side wings of my diaper where my hips would otherwise have problems breathing and start to sweat, itch, and grow pimples. Powders inside your diaper will lose all effectiveness if that part of your diaper gets wet, directly or by wicking. My skin has a strong fungal biome so I use zeesorb AF on my feet and crotch to keep the funk in check.

Cremes serve many of the same purposes as powders. Some work as barriers, leaving behind a greasy film that prevents other contaminants from reaching and irritating the skin. Most are water-repellant. Many will react unfavorably with adhesives in diapers, most often causing elastic bands to separate from leak guards and leg gathers. (as an example, DC Amore diapers are horribly affected by walmart's baby lotion) Allergies to lotions are much more common than reactions to powders, so make sure you try them in smaller quantities at first, to avoid a possibly painful large rash. It's easy to transfer lotions to the front panel of your diaper, where the oily film from your hands will coat the panel and prevent tapes from sticking, so you have to handle it carefully when diapering yourself. You may need to wash your hands after applying lotion before you handle your diaper. I don't use lotions much.

Baby lotions work a bit like oils in that they can somewhat form a barrier, and are extremely good at fouling tapes, but their main function is to trap moisture in the skin and prevent drying. They're very runny compared to lotions so they can be more difficult to apply with any precision. Oil is a great way to treat eczema. I don't use oil much either. You may run into problems if cremes get "into orifices", but baby lotions seem to be tolerated very well if they happen to creep a bit into say, your urethra. (lotions can burn!)

So take that information and use it to deal with any problems you're experiencing. Sides of your hips sweating and itching under the plastic wings? Apply powder liberally after diapering. Friction problems between your cheeks or thighs? Apply powder (lthighs) or lotion (cheeks). Butt getting a rash from exposure? Apply a creme or oil before you tape up. Do what you need to. Don't do what you don't need to do.

Reactions: Trevor
For me I do a 3 part system, if planning to wear an extended time, sometimes I feel like getting a diaper on after dinner and stay in it till morning (baring no #2's)
I take a shower and use j&j baby body wash, I dry off then rub baby lotion all over my whole body except my diaper area, I then use desitine for my bum area and baby powder for my upper groin and inside/outside hips, tape up and ready to go for an extended time

I'm a strong believer in Aveeno baby cream because it contains dimethicone, which is a medical ingredient used in ointments for diabetic feet, etc. I've used it on my wife's diabetic feet for years, now one foot. We order Dimethicone Ointment on line though it was a hospital's plastic surgery department that got us started using it. The dimethicone seals in the other lotion ingredients and it lasts for 24 hours. I have minor eczima so I use it, especially on my face after I shave.

I don't use any creams or powders generally. In the summer I'll maybe put some powder down the plastic side panels to help with sweat, but other than that I've found it to be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the useful info everybody. I picked up the Aveeno baby cream and will give it a try. I'm also diabetic and always have a tough time with my feet.

For those of us who wear plastic pants with our diapers, it's important to avoid creams and lotions since most of them attack the plasticizers in the vinyl rendering it stiff and brittle. I learned the hard way that this dramatically shortens the life of my pants. If you need these products for a rash, try to use them when you're not wearing (assuming you have that luxury), otherwise wear PUL pants.

I've never tried powders although after reading some posts here looks like I may get some soon. I do have some triple paste that I Will occasionally use if either I'm going into a second or third diaper and my skin is already slightly irritated or if I'm going into a diaper that I know I'm going to be using for 12 hours+ or going to #2.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Today I went and bought some goldbond baby powder and some regular lotion to help my skin heal after a day or harsh diapering. I was already wearing and didn't have the best place to apply the powder but I sat ba k in my car and gave a couple shakes down the front and used my hand to try and run it to the sides where I need it most. It hasn't done anything bad but I'm excited to use it properly once I change into tonight's diaper

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

I usually apply powder the medicated baby powder to the diaper its self prior to that I apply gold bond for men or cetaphil baby lotion to my crotch area and bottom. While I have the diaper on the floor I powder my butt and crotch area along with my sides and then tape up. If I feel the leak guards rubbing my thighs I will apply diaper ointment buttpaste brand to my inner thighs and the next time I go to change I will use Butt paste in the place of the lotion for a better barrier say if I've been sweating or wetting a lot and going a while before changing [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually apply powder the medicated baby powder to the diaper its self prior to that I apply gold bond for men or cetaphil baby lotion to my crotch area and bottom. While I have the diaper on the floor I powder my butt and crotch area along with my sides and then tape up. If I feel the leak guards rubbing my thighs I will apply diaper ointment buttpaste brand to my inner thighs and the next time I go to change I will use Butt paste in the place of the lotion for a better barrier say if I've been sweating or wetting a lot and going a while before changing

Paddedfanny said:
If I have missed a post on this you have my apologies. I have seen partial info on my question but not anything that totally has the scoop. My question is concerning baby oil, lotion, barrier cream, and powder. Some use one or two at a time, but when in particular should you be using each one? My other question is how often a day should a light to moderate wetter who generally uses the toilet and prefers to be dry change a disposable diaper which doesn't hold up well when being pulled to the side during the day? Thanks in advance to all responding.

I usually apply powder the medicated baby powder to the diaper its self prior to that I apply gold bond for men or cetaphil baby lotion to my crotch area and bottom. While I have the diaper on the floor I powder my butt and crotch area along with my sides and then tape up. If I feel the leak guards rubbing my thighs I will apply diaper ointment buttpaste brand to my inner thighs and the next time I go to change I will use Butt paste in the place of the lotion for a better barrier say if I've been sweating or wetting a lot and going a while before changing [emoji12]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back