Hurricane Gustav

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
Have you guys been watching Hurricane Gustav? It's gonna rain in New Orleans, and eventually here in Houston. It was a strong CAT. 4 for awhile, but it weakened a bit. Well, better go crawl into my UNNECESSARY HURRICANE SHELTER!!!

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
WHAAAA EDIT NOW !!!
way to be specific post in the regulars board if your posting my info like that say at least i live in a area that could get hit or something

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
:X.

Err, anyway

Yeah Gustav is gonna hit hard. New Orleans was evacuated way beforehand. Guess they're expecting it to hit big and hit hard.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I agree with Mandy, you better edit that before you get neg rape...Back to topic, I hope New Orleans or anywhere else downthere don't get damage even more by this Hurricane, some place haven't even fully recover from the Katrina.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
yeah its a good thing they evac'ed a long time ago

Sorry Mandy i got a little carried away there.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
*huggles* sorry i spazzed like thattt

yeahh hopefully it wont be all flooding over here with that tropical storm right behind it. hopefully it wont mover over some but we arnt expecting anything really my family has been chilling we keep a whole hurrican kit stocked i think my parents just kinda filled the tanks

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I agree with Mandy, you better edit that before you get neg rape...Back to topic, I hope New Orleans or anywhere else downthere don't get damage even more by this Hurricane, some place haven't even fully recover from the Katrina.
definatly no need for neg rape its bad for you only pos. rape it boost you self esteem. :p sorry had to get it in there

but nawww i doubt it will head to texas we just get some rain most likely

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't see any reason why he should be neg repped for anything of what he said. How that can be offensive to anyone or anything when he can be hit by it too is well, insane.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I don't see any reason why he should be neg repped for anything of what he said. How that can be offensive to anyone or anything when he can be hit by it too is well, insane.
He edited his first post because he accidental give away the location of Mandy....

Anyway, for people who don't know what Neg. Rape is "When a group people neg. rep you at once, therefore Neg. Raping you."

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I ain't got any words :x.

Sept. 1 (Bloomberg) -- New Orleans became a ``ghost town'' and Louisiana carried out the largest evacuation in its history as almost 2 million people fled Hurricane Gustav, which plowed through the Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to make landfall today.

``Let's prepare for the worst, pray for the best,'' state Governor Bobby Jindal said in a televised news conference yesterday as the Category 3 storm moved closer to the coast. An estimated 1.9 million people were evacuated from the state and only 10,000 remain in New Orleans, he said.

Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a sundown curfew to stop looting in the city of 300,000 people and said a storm surge brought by Gustav may cause flooding in its West Bank. He said New Orleans resembled a ``ghost town.''

The National Hurricane Center said, on its current track, Gustav will make landfall by midday local time today on the Louisiana coast. Oil companies evacuated workers from more than 600 rigs and production platforms in the Gulf, where fields account for about a quarter of U.S. oil production.

President George W. Bush declared a state of emergency for Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and canceled plans to travel to the Republican National Convention. Presumptive party presidential nominee John McCain canceled most of today's opening events so the nation could focus on the storm, while Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama called on the public to ``take the evacuation seriously.''

Storm's Path

As of 1 a.m. local time today, Gustav was about 170 miles (275 kilometers) south-southeast of New Orleans and moving northwest at 16 miles per hour, the National Hurricane Center said in its latest advisory. The storm has sustained winds of almost 115 miles per hour and a ``little strengthening is possible prior to landfall.''

An ``extremely dangerous'' storm surge of 10 to 14 feet above normal tide levels is forecast where it crosses the coast, the center said.

Gustav marks Louisiana's first test of evacuation plans that were put in place after Katrina struck in August 2005 with winds of almost 130 miles per hour. The storm flooded 80 percent of New Orleans as it overwhelmed levees and floodwalls, killing 1,800 people in Louisiana and Mississippi and causing more than $80 billion in damage.

Thousands of people were forced to take shelter at the New Orleans Superdome and Convention Center. This time, those shelters are closed and authorities pressed buses and Amtrak trains into service to help evacuate people without transportation.

``We did well this time on the evacuation front,'' said Nagin.

Highways Clogged

Highways were clogged with traffic as people fled the approaching storm. Mario and Laura Hernandez of Metairie, just west of New Orleans, bundled their two children into a trailer and headed to the state capital, Baton Rouge, for the second time in three years. ``I knew the time would come,'' said Mario, 25. ``I didn't know it would come so soon.''

Wesley Shrum, a sociology professor at Louisiana State University, decided to ride Gustav out in a French Quarter condominium. ``We picked a 200-year-old building, so we thought we'd be all right,'' he said.

Shrum said he drove yesterday through some of the areas hardest hit by Katrina. ``It's a totally empty city'' other than police in patrol vehicles, he said.

Queues for Sandbags

In Baton Rouge, about 80 miles from New Orleans, residents lined up outside a fire station for sandbags to protect their homes from possible flooding.

``I am considering getting out of the state altogether,'' said Joe Martin, 36, who moved to the city after his home was destroyed by Katrina. ``I am tired of starting over.''

Help was pouring in to Louisiana from as far away as Los Angeles, which is sending water rescue teams, said Jindal. Authorities mobilized 7,000 National Guard personnel and are preparing 1,800 more.

As the outer bands of Gustav began to fill the sky with rain late yesterday, 60 ambulances from across Pennsylvania arrived in Baton Rouge to help the state cope.

U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt declared a public health emergency so that people in Gulf coast states don't encounter obstacles to receiving care if they leave their home communities.

Strengthen Levees

The Army Corps of Engineers has stockpiled sandbags to repair any breaches in the New Orleans levees, said spokesman Bill Irwin. The Corps has worked since Katrina to strengthen the levees, which form a ring of barriers surrounding the below-sea- level city. Work isn't scheduled to be complete until 2011.

The storm's eye may pass directly over the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port, also known as the LOOP, which handles 12 percent of U.S. oil imports, said Jim Rouiller, a private meteorologist with Planalytics Inc. in Wayne, Pennsylvania.

``I still think this storm will be worse than Katrina,'' Rouiller said. ``Refinery row from the Sabine River pass to Gulfport will sustain major flooding along with wind damage.''

U.S. energy producers have idled 82 percent of natural gas production and 96 percent of oil output in the Gulf, the U.S. government said. Oil companies including Royal Dutch Shell Plc and BP Plc evacuated workers from 86 rigs and 518 production platforms along the coast.

Jindal said most refineries would conduct ``warm shutdowns'' so they can reopen quickly after Gustav passes.

Fields in the Gulf produce 1.3 million barrels a day of oil, about a quarter of U.S. production, and 7.4 billion cubic feet a day of natural gas, 14 percent of the total, according to government data. Katrina closed 95 percent of regional offshore output and, along with Hurricane Rita, idled about 19 percent of U.S. refining capacity.

Gustav, which left at least 81 dead in Haiti, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic last week, smashed through Cuba two days ago, wrecking coastal towns and knocking out communications and power, Agence France-Presse reported.

steel

Est. Contributor
Yea, My dad's friends have evacuated to our house because they live right in New Orleans.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
Yeah, us Texas inhabitants dodged another one.. That's the third major hurricane that we've avoided that probably should have hit us(Katrina, Rita, Gustav).

Maybe it's the level of the water, maybe its the temperature... I don't know, but I am glad we aren't getting hit by any of them. Though I fear that one will come our way eventually... the one after Hanna looks like it may have a chance.. but I won't jump to conclusions there.

N.O., got really lucky though... Gustave kinda pussed out once it reached shore- if it wouldn't have, it would done more damage than Katrina, seeing as it is pushing almost directly against the levees, whereas Katrina blew across them.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Glad to hear that Gustav did not bother anyone here.

My neighborhood is still wet from Tropical Storm Fey. Too bad Hurricane Hanna is threatening the east coast soon.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
And so it hit me...there was already a topic about this hurricane here. I really don't see the need for two topics about something that has come and past and affects so few of the people here.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Gustav really wasn't that bad of a hurricane...And like Ayanna said, there is already a thread about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.