Humiliated for bedwetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wearnappies

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anyone else suffer being shamed in front of people with nappies for wetting the bed my mother was under the impression that if I was embarrassed enough I would not wet the bed and in the seventies that meant terry nappies and plastic pants

MonkeyDoodle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I wet the bed until the age of 12 and spent most of my childhood wearing Nappies/pull ups, though my mum never shamed me, it was embarrassing at the time. I still occasionally suffer from bedwetting ,but only if I consume too much fluid, though I feel shame no one has ever shamed me four it, not even my gf.

Last edited:

Ringer

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I also wet until I was 12. This was genetic and runs in the family.
I was never shamed because of this. In fact in reading some of the posts here I was shocked that someone would do this. I guess I was lucky.

dprdshamwow

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
My stepdad was very abbusive. I wet the bed all the time up until my late teens. My stepdad would call me names laugh at me. He would encourage my older stepbrothers to tell my friends that I still wet the bed. They never forced me to wear diapers cuz they knew that's what I wanted. I would always ask my mom for diapers. I was caught many times wearing diapers I had stolen from other peoples homes.

foxkits

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
I had a lot of day time wettings so one day mom had it so I was forced into cloth diapers and Playtex toddler plastic baby pants this was in the 60's.
Then sent out go play in just wearing a diaper and baby pants . This was first or second grade she thought it would shock me out of it I dont rember how many days I was in them.
My dad had the same problem as a kid.

LiLFionna

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
  6. Carer
  7. Private
Well, this is such a touchy thread for me.
Being a bedwetter and IC for almost 12 years was the main reason for me to leave home. The only supportive person about my problem was my mom but about the rest of the familiy, well, no comments about that. It's like I have always been the black sheep in the family, and yeah, I really suffered being humilliated by them, specially by my father who is a "tough" person.... What else can I say? Thanks mom for understand me all these years.
Thanks god that bitter time in my childhood has gone and now, I'm starting to live again.

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
No - Luckily my parents and my sis' were really very supportive of my IC/Bedwetting issues...
Shaming? never - not once and I'm so glad for this.

School was a different matter though - entirely different. From crappy teachers with the emotional capabilities of a dead rat to fellow students.
Well being bullied one time to many in school pushed me to start serious martial arts and weight body training... ;) needless to say, it worked like a charm to keep the more abusive ones perfectly away. ... still school was a nasty time for me back then - I felt horribly isolated and "odd" being the one kid that still pissed his pants / wet the bed...
The most horrible part were school trips - where I knew I couldn't get by with pads and had to wear diapers... or camps... damn.

At home it was really different - on the other hand I felt pretty much the opposite. my IC issues were the constant focus of attention for my parents... I was pushed to see countless doctors, had more tests run on me than I could care for... had countless meds pushed on me... tried this solution, that product, that method...
Honestly - the best was the "shrink"... the guy was brilliant and I was really glad to have someone to talk to outside my family and that he never thought my IC / bedwetting was big deal - I think it was really helpful back then, learning to cope with the IC on a psychological / emotional level was good. But once it was pretty much ruled out that the IC /Bedwetting was the result of psychological issues it was back to the doctors & tests routine.
I really felt like a lab-rat and nothing really worked - some made me more miserable - some stuff provided limited results... Some doc's were plain "assholes" - others were really trying..
In the end, I moved out when I was like 15 or 16... The constant "focus" on my "issues" - the constant being commanded to try this or that, do this - act like that, try that med, try this new-age crap... this and other issues at the time at home pushed me to get away and live life on my own. I was always close with my Sis - that never changed.
and a few years later I was able to "repair" the family situation - but I'd saw off my own head before I'd ever move back in with my parents ;) - as much as I love them.

S

Starrunner

When I was six my father forced my mother to put a diaper on me, right in the middle of the living room and in front of my brothers and sister. I don't think I ever got over this. My father hated me from the day I was born. He blamed the church for that because they wouldn't allow abortions. Just one more day of humiliation from a childhood that is full of them. Happy, happy memories.

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
It wasn't until the late 70's and early 80's that a lot of childhood self-esteem issues came to light and it was found that positive attitudes about things like this helped them get resolved faster. Humiliation as a tool to try and 'fix' issues was a common tactic before then, and it was often used as a 'character-building' tool as well. I remember my mother and step-father used to have me go through a 'spanking tunnel' with the family for my birthday; basically crawl between their opened legs and everyone got to spank me as I went past. What always upset me was that the girls didn't have to go through it as they were more 'delicate' than I was, so I was the only one subjected to it, and it was thought that it would help me grow up with a stronger character.

As for shaming for wetting and troubles with potty-training, I know all too well about this as well. Kids were supposed to be completely out of diapers by the time they were three, not still needing daytime diapers until Kindergarten, so my mother tried everything she could to humiliate and shame me into getting control. The doctors didn't really try much until kids were at least five, but my mom had her own ideas on helping me find the desire to get out of diapers. Her technique was to use my sister's old hand-me-downs, arguing that they made diaper changes easier and they would give me motivation to get dry.

I'm glad we're a bit smarter about how we treat our kids these days.

AbriM4

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yes this totally happened to me - I also grew up in the 70's and was put back in terry nappies through bed wetting age 6 or 7. An incident I recall was my mother stripping me putting a nappy on and making me stand on the kitchen table, in front of the window in full view of the street!! Those nappies did puff up really bad and it was so obvious you were wearing, so skool was not pleasant either. I wonder though if incidents like this trigger my fascination with nappies?

Gsmax

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
Nope. This never happened to me. I was a bedwetter until I was 9 and luckily, my parents never shamed me about it at all.

MickeyM

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I suffered a wet bed until I was around 11, This basically defined my childhood. I was never really openly shamed, but my parents would threaten me with this and that and even "the doctors will cut it off" - stuff that angers me still.
At some point they put some plastic tarp on my mattress under the sheets, This only made it worse as then it pooled and soaked my whole front of my body every day. I would have to get up, change wet clothes leave the bed to dry, and go to school smelling like pee. Sometimes it was so bad I had to avoid being too close to people. I would come home to a bed with a giant stain on it.
It really put a damper on my childhood, it was terrible my parents never helped me with this problem.
Actually I can't say never, early on after I was out of diapers they would put me to bed in plastic pants. Due to my aspergers(Unknown condition until I was 21), I had a problem with the elastics on them so I wanted to be taken out of them so from then on I wore underwear which I soaked every night. Bad decision, I regard it was my worst I've ever made as at least I would have had something to contain the liquid at night.
I never thought to ask to wear plastic pants, diapers or the pull-ups I wore on vacations too bed regularly. This mostly stems from an Incident where I pooped in some plastic pants in my closet, I Feared my parents very much so I never gave it a thought again until it was too late.
I didn't really start playing with pull-ups until after I had finally stopped wetting the bed, that's what eventually lead me here.

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
The practice of humiliating or shaming a child for something like this is much reduced today compared to what it was in the 1970's and prior. Congress passed a law in 1974 appropriating funds to states that had mandatory reporting laws for suspected child abuse requiring certain people (law enforcement, medical professionals, and educators) to report suspected cases. The state by state laws only took a few short years to enact (California was 1976 if I remember correctly), but for many years cases of suspected child abuse were often limited to physical abuse. These were the cases that could easily be seen by those required to report, as they left bruises, welts, or other physical evidence that could be seen.

Sexual abuse of a child has been left under a lot of the statutory rape clauses and laws for many years, so that has not really changed.

The difference is emotional abuse of a child. Many of the laws and statutes that exist now regarding emotional abuse have only come about in the last twenty years. With these laws coming forward, it has become much more well known that something that could emotionally damage a child is considered abuse and is avoided, but it still occurs in small amounts. There are documented cases in just the last few years of parents being charged with malicious punishment of a child that would have been ignored even through the 1980's. A simple one to view is the girl who had her head shaved and had to parade up and down the street in a diaper for getting bad grades.

"Diaper discipline" is nowhere near as common as it used to be, especially as more people understand the psychological trauma it can cause. The same can be said for many other strange variations on child punishment. Understanding of gender equality and the acceptance of LGBT has effectively killed what used to be called 'petticoating' or 'pinafore discipline'. Any of these techniques were still not widely used in the 60's and 70's, but parents were not facing jail time if they did use them.

There is not a huge amount of historical information on the internet about this happening that I can find right away, but there are isolated incidents that do still show up from time to time. The use of diapers on older children shows up on occasion, though it is more rare to find evidence of petticoating. I do know it has happened, especially after discussing many of my life experiences with a friend of mine who is post-op MtF transgender, and she commented that there are a small percentage of crossdressers and transgender people who were 'guided' into it by parents, guardians, or caretakers; this included those who were subjected to it as a punishment.

I'm not surprised that many of our younger members have never seen or heard of things like this, it has been on the way out for the last few decades.

C

chronos51

It was early 80's for me. My father would spank me in the mornings cuz he thought i was to lazy to get up at night. My step mom made me wear diapers at night shortly after she would snicker and my older brother would laugh. All because i had and still have a small bladder. I dont think anyone should be shamed, punished or humiliated due to bedwetting or an underlying medical condition. It just not right and really lowers ones self esteem. But thats my 2 cents

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

I was never out of diapers...

And yes I was made to feel ashamed, belittled and abused over it and other issues I had...

It was the 70's and I guess the deal of the day was make it as hard as possible on the person with an issue and they will overcome it...a very flawed theory...

My biggest issues was over being diapered...until I was fairly old I wasn't allowed to take care of it myself...in fact when in middle school, I just ought ought what in needed and took care foot myself...then it was just buried like other things...

I wasn't an easy to care for child...being a sleepwalker, ic, sleeping issues, and issues with small motor skills...

But, what I experienced would most likely have parents in jail these days...

From, locked in my bedroom at night, being diapered by my mom till middle school, and just the general constant reminders of how bad I was because of these issues...

From what I was told, the dr was the one to ask for these things...I somewhat believe it...but think there was some selective memories involved as well...

Frogsy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I was often scolded and sometimes spanked for bedwetting, but not in front of other people. All shame just came from my parents' words or actions. They didn't use diapers on me at all, but did keep a plastic sheet on my mattress until I was about twelve. I remember them threatening diapers once when I was very young, between three and five. I reacted happily to this idea; and so they never used it, hehe. Yeah, like many people around here, I knew I liked diapers for a looonnng time!

Embrace

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anyone else suffer being shamed in front of people with nappies for wetting the bed my mother was under the impression that if I was embarrassed enough I would not wet the bed and in the seventies that meant terry nappies and plastic pants

I wonder why the title and body text are verbatim copies of a post from here. Not implying anything... Just wondering... (Well, because it is written in 1st person, it is implied that the same author wrote both)

M

Marka

I was often scolded and sometimes spanked for bedwetting, but not in front of other people. All shame just came from my parents' words or actions. They didn't use diapers on me at all, but did keep a plastic sheet on my mattress until I was about twelve. I remember them threatening diapers once when I was very young, between three and five. I reacted happily to this idea; and so they never used it, hehe. Yeah, like many people around here, I knew I liked diapers for a looonnng time!

Pretty much the same for me too...though I did get the diapers once... -Marka

BlueGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
it is somewhat out of my memory range, but my brother says that around 3 yrs old, when I woke up wet, I was beaten and thrust into a cold shower. A variation on the theme, but coming from the same mindset. My brothers got the idea that it was bad to wet the bed, so they teased me for years. They threatened to clip a clothespin on my privates to prevent the wetting. I clung to a blanket and thumb for longer than normal, so they instituted a nickname of Linus. There are probably still people from back then who never heard my real name.
After a few years of bedwetting, my mother put me back in night diapers, which fueled the fires of my brothers calling me a baby. (Back then, it was common to refer to the youngest member of the family as "the baby". Made me feel worse when someone used that.)
Later, they used a bed alarm on me, which had mixed results. Everybody in the house could hear that miserable thing.
The IC slowly faded over the years, but the baby is still there. A part of me is stuck at about 3 years old, where I was first hurt.

KCAboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaperfur
I had a bout of incontinence for several months a short ago, daytime and nighttime, due to circumstances which could have taken my life. I wish I was lying. Luckily for me I got over it all and my parents, friends, and even my pastor were all very supportive of me. I began to take solace in AB roleplays with my parents and sister. I think my younger sister had a little TOO much fun with them, now that I think about it. I might have to ask her if she might want to do that sort of thing again. Anyway, I was never shamed, never humiliated, and never punished for it. Seeing all these people's testimonials has made me realize how lucky I am that I didn't have to go through any of that on top of my already trying times.

One good cry later and saying "thank you" to my immediate family, I think this post is growing long. A few edits and I'll post.

Status
Not open for further replies.